So, I don't collect toy dinosaurs or stamps...

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 1:18 pm

To DXd females: just wondering how your collecting habits or special interest areas/obsessions differ from the male stereotypes that are perpetuated in the assessment process. What are you known to monologue about? Instead of protons, do you waffle on about hairsprays or something? Do you collect pink clothes or eyelash curlers for example or anything gender specific?

Thanks.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

07 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

art supplies, hand spun-hand dyed yarn is my collecting vices. I am a fiber artist and I can monologe about the process of making yarn until your ears bleed.

I also identify colors by their paint name and talk about them at length which for some reason drives men crazy...in a bad way. Their head spins around they spew pea soup.

I am also a poet and collect poetry books and can read them till wee in the morning.

Jojo

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 3:25 pm

I have quite a yarn stash too! I was getting into fiber arts but the whole husband/kids thing kinda took it away from me. I usually used Kool-Aid, since it's readily available, and had bought a bunch of undyed silk noil and some mohair on cones. I can ramble on and on about knitting and making jewelry and costume history (although I can't sew worth a crap :( ).

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 5:10 pm

All of my special interests through the years can basically be summed up as obsessing over fictional characters. I'm not much of a reader or gamer, so my character obsessions come from TV and movies. I like to collect merchandise based on the TV shows and movies that my favorite characters come from.

Here is a rundown of my TV/movie obsessions throughout the years:

Toddler age: Beetlejuice (animated series), Lion King, Land Before Time

Age 5 - 12: Balto (animated film)

Age 8 - 12: Pokemon, Digimon

Age 11 - 12: Hamtaro

Age 12 - 14: Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha

Age 14 - 16: Naruto, One Piece

Age 16 - 19: Hellsing, Trinity Blood

Age 19 - present: Tim Burton movies

Age 21 - present: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Gravity Falls

Amyliisa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

This is my first post here.
I like patchwork and half cross-stitch. Sometimes I am original, sometimes I use kits. My fingers are always restless to work but at the moment I don't know what work will be next. I have just qualified as a primary school teacher. I am terrified as I don't think there are any other Aspergers' teachers out there.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

well... i collect shot glasses. got a youtube video of it. i need to do a part 2 cuz i got more than what's in the video.

and i have pretty extensive knowledge of certain comic book characters.. mostly Franklin Richards (of the Fantastic Four) and Phoenix/Dark Phoenix (of the X-Men). don't get me started on the x-men movies version though...LOL

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

Hi, I'm a female diagnosed Aspie. I don't monologue about anything and I don't collect anything.

But the things I was interested in as a kid were the typical "boy" things - dinosaurs and astronomy.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 8:18 pm

Most of the stuff I can monologue about is academic subjects pertaining to health/science which is more gender neutral.

As for anything girly, well I can talk on and on and on about certain boys but then thats a very NT girly topic. So I try to bring down the talking excessive bit to normalize things and I just sound like any other NT girl out there. I just dont want people to think Im crazy most of the time.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 8:30 pm

I collect comic books and old vinyl records.

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2012, 11:34 pm

Mine is more an abstract "collection" - I collect knowledge about "human beings" - psychology, self-help, health, neuroscience, society, relationships. I google constantly about this stuff and collect many books and articles.

premedaspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2012, 12:24 am

For a while I was collecting cow stuff, like stuffed cows and little plastic cows. Now I collect Beatles stuff. I don't really monologue, because I've realized that no one cares. Mostly because they always talk over me or interrupt me when I start talking about the Beatles, or whatever my interest is at the time. I do monologue sometimes...I can't help it all the time. :)

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 8:21 am

I used to "waffle on" about the Ancient Egyptians when I was younger, but now I "waffle on" about Orthodox Judaism.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 9:42 am

Ladies, what an interesting bunch of replies. Thank you so much. Every day I'm realising how more of my behaviours translate into AS traits, for instance obsessional or collecting habits that I hadn't even thought about, I have been reminded of reading all your great replies.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 11:57 am

I have a lot of hobbies but very little original creativity. I can sew and crochet, however I use a pattern almost all the time.

SOMETIMES when I make a stuffed animal, by sewing, I will do that without a pattern and just go from my head with lots of cool applique and stuff. They always turn out really well. However I get so focuessed and anxious that I don't do it often, it turns me into a wreck. I like using a firm and proven plan. I can also cartoon and illustrate, however I cannot come up with a story or topics or jokes. Basically I can draw, but I can't write anything anyone else would "Get" or find funny.

LOVE video games too.

An overarching lifelong interest has been human evolution.

Right now with two kids, no time for much of any of these!

meems
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

I collect mascot costumes. Mascot costumes are rather expensive so my collection is limited so far but I think once I complete my degree and go into my chosen career field, I'll have better access to the kinds of mascot costumes I adore.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 3:14 pm

I believe I collect art supplies. I'm obsessed with creating something unique, but my ideas are few and far between and I think much more than do.

I collect miniature porcelain dolls and fairies.

An ongoing obsession I have is with population genetics, epigenetics, health and human evolution. I'm really interested in how a person's genetics (and where their ancestors came from) interacts with their environment (predominantly food) and results in good health or diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, and so on.