Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mavennica
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2014, 3:41 pm

When I see a baby human, I think, "Oh. Someone has reproduced." That's my actual thought. It's not intended to be rude or mean or anything, it's just me noticing a fact. Someone has reproduced (well, two people have reproduced, but you get what I mean). However, when I see a baby animal, I'm all like, "Oh, look! A BABY!" and I proceed to go gaga over it.

I'm a great cat and dog mommy, but not a great candidate to be a human mommy (and I've taken steps to ensure that I don't become one, because I believe that children should be parented by people who want them).

Is anyone else like this, or am I just the weird one in the room?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 4:52 pm

You're childfree.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Chelsea_820
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jan 2014, 5:04 pm

I am totally like this! The sound of a baby crying is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
I never had ANY interest in having children. I did not want to have to take care of anyone. However, since I've started dating my Aspie boyfriend I definitely feel more maternal. Not that he is in anyway unable to take care of himself, but there are a few things about him that is so childlike, for example he watches old cartoons and plays with stuffed animals. And I just love taking care of him!!

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2014, 6:11 pm

You don't want to be a mom. What of it? I'm the same way.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 11:09 am

Me too.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2014, 11:54 am

I see many threads like this and I don't understand why people on this forum think they are weird for not liking babies.
I found out it's actually very common among people and women as well.
I have a female NT friend that hates babies and children and doesn't want to have any kids. Most people I know either don't like babies or are neutral towards them (they are all NTs). I am neutral towards babies.
It has nothing to do with your AS. I know online some females with Asperger's (out of this forum). Some of them have maternal instinct and/or want to have kids, others don't and/or hate babies and others are just neutral about them.
It's actually more common nowdays in my area and online to meet people that dislike babies than people who like them.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 2:32 pm

Before I found out about ASDs, I was convinced by my ex-husband to become a parent when deep down inside I knew better. He had fallen for the religious/right-wing BS that all women are naturally created with maternal instincts and it's hard for me to argue with people.. I like babies well enough but not kids. Kids talk too much and mess with your stuff. Now that I have them, I make the best of it, but I wish I'd listened to that inner voice.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 5:52 pm

I love babies and kids ...as long as they are not my responsibility.

The other day I was walking out in in town and passed a guy carrying this really adorable baby girl. My brain said this: " awww, cute human kitten"

I am sure if I had to, I would raise to the challenge of raising a child but it wouldn't be my choice. Kids are fun to play with though, I wish I knew people with kids who'd let me borrow them for play dates, although I tend to regress and start arguing about how it's MY turn to play with the toy :roll:

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 4:43 pm

Same here. I don't dislike babies or children, but I'm not comfortable with baby talk and trying to muscle in to hold the baby (I think that has to do with their own selfish needs than nuturing the child). I have a three year old cousin and I engage with him on his level, but I'm no more affectionate to him as anyone else in my family. He seems to have fun with me, regardless.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:39 pm

I think human babies are cute, but seeing them doesn't give me the urge to have one.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 8:54 pm

leafplant wrote:
I love babies and kids ...as long as they are not my responsibility.

The other day I was walking out in in town and passed a guy carrying this really adorable baby girl. My brain said this: " awww, cute human kitten"

I am sure if I had to, I would raise to the challenge of raising a child but it wouldn't be my choice. Kids are fun to play with though, I wish I knew people with kids who'd let me borrow them for play dates, although I tend to regress and start arguing about how it's MY turn to play with the toy :roll:

i am the opposite. i love kids as long as they are my own

So I'm never in a rush

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 1:55 am

I'm not that much into babies I would rather change my cat's kitty litter tray then change a babies nappy. :eew:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 4:10 am

I don't like babies or small children, but I go gaga over puppies and kittens and other cute fuzzy animals. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm much more comfortable with holding a cat or dog than I am with being in close contact with another person. Holding another person just feels really really awkward, like I want to let go of them and put some distance between them and myself.

Now, of course I'm a guy, so I'm probably not likely to have any sort of maternal instinct in the first place, but I've noticed some other guys (like my father especially) tend to go really gaga over babies, and I just don't get it.

arcticfox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2014, 10:45 am

For me, becoming an astronaut would have been a much more plausible option - I mean, mentally - than becoming a mother. At the age 39, I'm finally coming to terms with the fact that I am what I am. I have a husband and somehow I have presumed that I should want children, if not for myself, then for my spouse (who says it's not an issue for him) and my parents, for whom I've been the last chance to get grandchildren. They've never pressured me into starting a family, though.

A funny thing is that my sister and my female cousins from my mother's side have not been and are not interested in having children, either. Must be genetic somehow - and since we are the first generation that actually has a freedom to choose...

And yes, I love animals, too, and immensely enjoy their company (unlike childrens' or, well, most humans').

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2014, 4:08 pm

Mavennica wrote:
When I see a baby human, I think, "Oh. Someone has reproduced." That's my actual thought. It's not intended to be rude or mean or anything, it's just me noticing a fact. Someone has reproduced (well, two people have reproduced, but you get what I mean). However, when I see a baby animal, I'm all like, "Oh, look! A BABY!" and I proceed to go gaga over it.

I'm a great cat and dog mommy, but not a great candidate to be a human mommy (and I've taken steps to ensure that I don't become one, because I believe that children should be parented by people who want them).

Is anyone else like this, or am I just the weird one in the room?

Same here-I have zero maternal instinct when it comes to infants or youngsters/kids (I'm female & childfree).
When I had a cat, I'd feel great fondness for her, and was overwhelmed by how cute & adorable she was.

Still feel this way when it comes to depictions/portrayals of children (ick) and animals (sweet) whether it be on film, in photos, or stories people tell...

I feel affectionate & protective towards animals, and I feel repulsion and disgust towards kids/babies.
It's a visceral/sensory response for me, can't stand anything baby-related.