Does low status make you less of a target?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 8:57 am

I don't mean a target for only sex alone but being relationship material?

For me I don't wear expensive make up or even have the money to do hair dues that attract men. As for my physical health, I'm not skinny but I try and stay away from sweets. My diction is pretty poor as you may have noticed and I've gotten to the point in my life that I would love to care but I just couldn't talk like those perky women nice or mad.

My dad's side of the family, the perfect bunch advice me a week ago, to get a man I need to act confident and sexy. I love some of them but they do very financially well on their side of the family. I think some of this anger rubs off against me even when they're offering to pay. My oldest cousin who's very witty and smart offered to pay for my boobs to be augmented. She's a very sweet gal but she's having health problems herself at 32. It may not be from all the surgeries but still many of her familes think it was from her previous surgeries with breast implants. Actually I have to say I think she's one of the sweetest cousins I got. She even wanted to pay for my hair and I didn't let her. In fact what's funny is I'll remember the artisan in her and give as much as I can without money...stupid I know.

But I do know what she's saying..If you don't get something done with your looks, then you might as well attract something as beautiful as a geranium. She told me a long time ago, men may be status oriented but so are women. Women do not get their candy eye looks just from being poor, they get it with money. I don't know how much of this is true but when I ask a girl how much she got done for hair-do, I'm so shocked by the amount...let alone makeup.

So for you all you guys out there griping about women ONLY wanting status, I have one thing to say, look at their hair, makeup, clothing. I'm not against any of these women but you are only attracted to "what you can afford" and even then I've seen these same types of women in my work having to afford these men.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 11:14 am

I would be mad to if people were trying to push me to change my looks to attract some man. But then I am one of those types who, like you, is often shocked by how much people pay for hair cuts. I heard the other day that the average women owns twenty pairs of shoes. What the hell? What does a person do in a year that twenty different pairs of shoes make sense? But it is what it is and a lot of people make snap judgements on a person based on how they look. Their outsides are supposed to reflect their insides, their goals, priorities, yadda and yadda. And apparently the end all of that is to be totally put together and in the process spend ridiculous amounts of cash to get that got together look.

I hate to sound like an ass, but the only thing you have to go on when you meet someone for the very first time in person is their looks. I mean, that is the very first thing you notice. You see someone's looks before they ever start speaking. People pay serious attention to that. They decide based on that if they want to meander across a room and say hello or not. They decide based on that if you seem warm, approachable, intelligent, confident, well put together. I know I can do that. I would not approach a guy I saw coming out of a hummer wearing some expensive clothes with his nails done or some junk. I would understand immediately that he and I likely have little in common. I could be wrong, but I would not go up to the guy and find out and he sure as hell would not come up to me to do the same.

I have been snubbed more times than I can count based on my looks. It is not that I am a repulsive looking thing either. It's that I am a weird looking thing. I do not do up my hair, I do not wear makeup, I have jewelry in my face. I buy clothes from thrift stores and make myself skirts out of old curtains. I sometimes wear a top hat I crocheted and use duct tape to hold together the shoes I split because I toe walk. My looks tell everyone I am poor, weird, and probably not that interested in taking proper care of myself. Really, it's not far from the truth. Most people want more than I am. I could try to change myself up to get a different type of person, but that would be hell for all parties involved, methinks. I am what I am.

The only people who approach me based on my looks are people who are poor or covered in tattoos and piercings or who have just as many diagnosis's as I do... I get guys with low self esteem, guys who have unusually high iq's, guys who have alternative religious stand points or guys who strive to find a cave to live so they can reject the mainstream plastic culture and live as one with the earth. Not that I hate on any of that, really I would have it no other way. I have no clue how to function along side the make up wearing people or the men who want them. They are a breed of human that I do not appreciate as much as I appreciate the cave dwellers. Cave dwelling I get. That makes sense.

But yeah, in a lot of cases, you need to spend money to look a certain way to get a certain type. But even then you need to be able to play the part to make it stick. I think it all comes down to like minded people though, but I guess in the end the words do not matter. Money reflects similar mind sets, right?

I think in the end, low status does not make you less of a target... I just think that a different type of person will take aim at you.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2010, 2:39 pm

dossa wrote:
I would be mad to if people were trying to push me to change my looks to attract some man. But then I am one of those types who, like you, is often shocked by how much people pay for hair cuts. I heard the other day that the average women owns twenty pairs of shoes. What the hell? What does a person do in a year that twenty different pairs of shoes make sense? But it is what it is and a lot of people make snap judgements on a person based on how they look. Their outsides are supposed to reflect their insides, their goals, priorities, yadda and yadda. And apparently the end all of that is to be totally put together and in the process spend ridiculous amounts of cash to get that got together look.

I hate to sound like an ass, but the only thing you have to go on when you meet someone for the very first time in person is their looks. I mean, that is the very first thing you notice. You see someone's looks before they ever start speaking. People pay serious attention to that. They decide based on that if they want to meander across a room and say hello or not. They decide based on that if you seem warm, approachable, intelligent, confident, well put together. I know I can do that. I would not approach a guy I saw coming out of a hummer wearing some expensive clothes with his nails done or some junk. I would understand immediately that he and I likely have little in common. I could be wrong, but I would not go up to the guy and find out and he sure as hell would not come up to me to do the same.

I have been snubbed more times than I can count based on my looks. It is not that I am a repulsive looking thing either. It's that I am a weird looking thing. I do not do up my hair, I do not wear makeup, I have jewelry in my face. I buy clothes from thrift stores and make myself skirts out of old curtains. I sometimes wear a top hat I crocheted and use duct tape to hold together the shoes I split because I toe walk. My looks tell everyone I am poor, weird, and probably not that interested in taking proper care of myself. Really, it's not far from the truth. Most people want more than I am. I could try to change myself up to get a different type of person, but that would be hell for all parties involved, methinks. I am what I am.

The only people who approach me based on my looks are people who are poor or covered in tattoos and piercings or who have just as many diagnosis's as I do... I get guys with low self esteem, guys who have unusually high iq's, guys who have alternative religious stand points or guys who strive to find a cave to live so they can reject the mainstream plastic culture and live as one with the earth. Not that I hate on any of that, really I would have it no other way. I have no clue how to function along side the make up wearing people or the men who want them. They are a breed of human that I do not appreciate as much as I appreciate the cave dwellers. Cave dwelling I get. That makes sense.

But yeah, in a lot of cases, you need to spend money to look a certain way to get a certain type. But even then you need to be able to play the part to make it stick. I think it all comes down to like minded people though, but I guess in the end the words do not matter. Money reflects similar mind sets, right?

I think in the end, low status does not make you less of a target... I just think that a different type of person will take aim at you.
TWENTY PAIRS OF SHOES? i have 5 including two pairs of everyday runners, a marginally dressy set, a pair of winter boots and hiking shoes.

i agree with what you are saying. how we dress and present ourselves affects who wants to get to know us better. i have an outfit i wear sometimes- it is a silvery short trenchcoat, and when it gets cold i wear a bright scarf with it. well, so many people make such a fuss about how i look in it ('professional', put together', 'fashionable') that i can hardly bear to wear it anymore because it is embarrassing.

the opposite effect happens when i wear my favourite biker-style jacket with runners and jeans - people seem to treat me like i am immature and irresponsible. i really hate that the clothes i wear have such a stupid effect, so i mostly just wear whatever i want and try to ignore people's reactions.

and yes, i attract men who like strange or weird women.

MissConstrue, changing your appearance may help, but would you truly like yourself anymore?