Women: What do you think of characters like Yuki Nagato?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 1:24 am

Originating in the Haruhi series, the character Yuki Nagato is an alien, specifically a humanoid interface designed to communicate with human beings on behalf of her alien creator which is unable to, who is one of the main characters. She is noted for her flat affect and general lack of expression and is widely considered a Rei Ayanami clone. Some authors suggest that the depiction is dehumanizing, almost like the animators did not want to bother with the animation of another woman's face:

Quote:
Sure, Nagato has powers too and she never changes throughout the series. I’ll grant that, but don’t forget that Nagato is practically mute. She hardly has a human expression in her. So first, power isn’t feminine… now it’s dehumanizing? Just exactly when is it okay for a girl to be powerful, Kyoani?

Image comment:

Quote:
One day, it was decided that animating too many women's faces (since they're emotional, heh) would be too costly. And thus Yuki's ancestor Rei was born.

http://moesucks.com/2009/06/23/the-dece ... ya-haruhi/

I've read in Japanese sources that she has "a touch of autism" (自閉症気味), and in some respects she comes off as a bit of a female Rainman (a rare find in the media, as I understand it). It's possible that an autistic woman would find much to identify with in her.

I hope I've provided enough info to establish the context. Please post if I have not.

What do the women here think about this?

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 11:52 am

Don't know that one. But I can tell you I am an InuYasha fan and I absolutely love Sesshomaru. He is a in yokai (dog demon) who doesn't really show any emotion beyond occasional annoyment or anger with enemies. He also only has a small group of traveling companions his servant, a human child he protects and later the younger brother of his brother's friend. Won't admit to caring for anyone buy always protects his little group.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

I think Sesshomaru is pretty cool and I remember when he "adopts" Rin after reviving her with the Tenseiga.