Do/did you feel like a gross Carrie-White-like girl?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:43 pm

I have.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 11:49 pm

um...what? who is Carrie white? what are you talking about, ana?

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 11:52 pm

what is a Carrie-white?

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 12:16 am

What was wrong with Carrie White? I liked her. So she lost it at the end.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 12:25 am

Carrie is a Stephen King's novel, she is the main character, a teenage girl who was introvert, didn't dress acording to fashion, clumsy, an outcast at school and constantly bullied, but she developed telekinetic powers and things got more interesting. :)

fivecents
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2008, 1:17 am

Ahh, Ana! That is so poignant. Really, she did the right thing. I wish I could do all the things she did with just my mind. Growing older and wiser makes me realize I can have the same impact with calculated action and patience. One person can take down the masses with brains, wit and a good sales rep!!

Lurv
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2008, 11:09 am

I've felt gross, yes. I don't think she did the right thing, though. When I read the book I was all "noo, if only they wouldn't vote on themself. :("

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 12:46 pm

Yes...except I was always fat and short....with much more open-minded non-religious parents....I was ridiculed for my behaviour and appearance..I even had tricks played on me..got invited to a non-existant party..actually..I think..they were playing a horrible trick on the girl who's house I was invited to....

Anywhoo....um....I got bullied and beat up by other girls...but nothing to the extent to where I felt compelled to kill the whole prom....didn't go to prom....no desire to...

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 7:56 pm

Carrie White aka Carrie Snow, the Stephen King fiction story-her last name was changed between book and film.
Yes, I could relate to her situation, albeit to a much lesser degree-and minus the religion (parents were free of such atmosphere/rules/filters). I did go through a non-religious "puritanical" stage for a few years around age 12-15, which was both a result of previous & cause for further teasing, bullying, etc. from both genders, in relation to sexuality on many levels.

Later, in college, popular students living in my dorm played jokes on me (and, by then, I was generally comfortable with people being sexual-so I figured I would no longer be such a perceived target due to being so obviously different) that I found repulsive, mean, hypocritical, and baffling. Was treated badly by peers both when I denied being a sexual person & when I was open about being one...I still don't understand why people behaved (the creative & persistent hostility) as they did towards me, despite realizing how strange I may have seemed occasionally.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 8:09 pm

I would not identify with that particular character, but the general idea of being rejected social scum, yes, I have felt like that.

Unico
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2008, 7:58 pm

I relate to a lot of her background (Carrie's mother reminds me of my father). And I relate to her rejection and inability to fit in, her naivete, etc. But not her crazy, extreme actions;-)

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 9:56 pm

Ohhhh. Is that what you meant?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 2:10 am

Unico wrote:
I relate to a lot of her background (Carrie's mother reminds me of my father). And I relate to her rejection and inability to fit in, her naivete, etc. But not her crazy, extreme actions;-)

I thought the question meant do people identify with how the character was socially ostracized, sexually taunted, and singled out for abuse by cruel peers-not in reference to how it all concluded. That hadn't occurred to me, so answered based on my interpretation of thread title.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 1:14 am

Unico wrote:

But they were just thoughts!