Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

lilredcat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

A theory that Pyxis and I were discussing and I've read elsewhere is that there possibly might be a connection between Autism and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome). PCOS is one of the leading causes of infertility in women. Basically it is a form of insulin resistance that can cause: irregular periods, propensity to weight gain, hirsutism (excess body hair for example on your chin, sideburns, trail from navel to pubic hair), excess testosterone, annovulation. It is not "cysts" on the ovaries, the name is a misnomer, rather the ovaries have failed ovulation attempts resulting in cyst-like follicles where the egg should have been released but wasn't.

So, I have this. Not all the symptoms, but many. Does anyone else?

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2013, 3:26 pm

I have had PCOS once, not because of insulin but because of androgens being over produced. This was caused by excessive amounts of stress and I was producing testosterone like a guy so that I started having no periods, I formed cysts on my ovaries, I had horrible acne on my back and chest (when I have never had a problem with acne even when I was a teen), I had a early mustache, and I was really depressed. As I was not having insulin problems, but androgen problems I was put on a moderate doss of birth control pills for the extra estrogen to suppress the testosterone. Since then I am mostly fine unless my stress and anxiety levels peak, then my period start to jump around again, the acne comes back etc. But if I control the stress, I am fine. I did not mind missing my periods, but the moodiness was horrible.

There is no evidence that there is a higher prevalence of PCOS among autistic women than the population as a whole.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2013, 4:48 am

Whenever i am under stressful times
i get periods twice a month
recently i was under some office stress
and had twice periods
also i am having hypothyroidism

Gennette22
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

namaste wrote:
Whenever i am under stressful times
i get periods twice a month
recently i was under some office stress
and had twice periods
also i am having hypothyroidism

This happens to me as well. My doctors couldn't figure it out, so I started seeing an acupuncturist because my hormones were a nightmare! What do you know, it worked almost immediately. She said it was because my liver was so stressed. The needles are hard to get used to at first, but I just meditate once they are in and it makes a world of difference.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 1:24 pm

Gennette22 wrote:
This happens to me as well. My doctors couldn't figure it out, so I started seeing an acupuncturist because my hormones were a nightmare! What do you know, it worked almost immediately. She said it was because my liver was so stressed. The needles are hard to get used to at first, but I just meditate once they are in and it makes a world of difference.

good it worked for you
i am too scared of needles

misakiflower
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2013, 1:51 am

My periods can be pretty irregular and PAINFUL.
I fear I might have PCOS as a lot of women in my family do.

creepycupcake
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2013, 5:13 pm

I have irregular periods. They can be anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks apart usually and they are very short and very light. Before I had children it wouldn't be unusual for me to go for months without one. I got tested for PCOS and hormonal imbalance and they found nothing wrong. I am able to get pregnant without any help so I'm guessing that's just how I am.

creepycupcake
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2013, 5:14 pm

I have irregular periods. They can be anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks apart usually and they are very short and very light. Before I had children it wouldn't be unusual for me to go for months without one. I got tested for PCOS and hormonal imbalance and they found nothing wrong. I am able to get pregnant without any help so I'm guessing that's just how I am.