Women, please comment, looking in the mirror

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

25 Jul 2007, 3:43 pm

Postperson wrote:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. a lot of aspies hate the mirror and don't relate to the meat puppet they see there. an 'epiphany' moment of looking in the mirror sounds like you've re-enacted what you see in films/tv rather than a real thing.

I hate looking at myself in the mirror. I don't understand what I see. I have never worked up the courage to look at my reflection until I see my eyes. I usually stop at my nose, or look at my lips o rmy forehead, and thats only every blue moon when I do LOOK in a mirror. I always do my hair the same way so I don't have to worry about using a mirror at all.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

26 Jul 2007, 1:04 am

Whenever I look in the mirror (which isn't often at all, probably less than I should be doing), I am shocked with what I see. For some reason, I don't look the same in my head as I do outside of it.

I also tend to concentrate on the bit I'm looking in the mirror for. Like, if I'm brushing my hair (which again, isn't often due to depression etc), I'll concentrate on my hair; if it's looking at a spot, I'll concentrate on the spot. And so on.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:41 pm

I've never been crazy about mirrors and tend to avoid them...although I remember being fascinated by them as a small child for quite some time.

Just how did Alice get in there anyways? I wanted to play with the cat. :lol:

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

27 Jul 2007, 8:13 am

I used mirrors as a child to practice conversation, replaying, and fixing. But, as an adult, i look in the mirror once a day(if i put on make up), and really only concentrate on the tasks.....I learned a long time ago that i dont like looking into my own eyes....especially if i surprise myself doing it, and see the real me.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 5:53 pm

I rarely look in the mirror, and if I do I don't really look at myself. It's almost as though I'm a stranger. It's kind of hard to explain. I can't even make eye contact with myself it seems. :?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 6:53 pm

ive seen myself in mirrors and not recognized myself

sometimes when i see myself... i feel removed from myself. like how you touch your leg when it's asleep and you feel it, but it feels different...... i feel like im looking at a wax dummy or something... is what i mean... something not real or alive

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

InnocentEyes
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2007, 12:39 pm

I never see the same person when I look in the mirror. Sometimes I see someone amazingly pretty with shining red hair and a sexy figure and other times I see a fat lump with dull hair and an awful face. It depends on the state of my self esteem a the time.

Right now I feel ok and look good, but I know that I will not feel this way forever.

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2007, 12:52 pm

you guys(girls rather) perfectly described my "feeling". eerie.

i dont feel so alone anymore knowing that its not just me that feels seperate from my body.

Does anyone else name your inner thought entities? not necessarily names, but maybe, "the little girl" inside me, when describing feelings?

thank you,
tyger

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2007, 12:52 pm

you guys(girls rather) perfectly described my "feeling". eerie.

i dont feel so alone anymore knowing that its not just me that feels seperate from my body.

Does anyone else name your inner thought entities? not necessarily names, but maybe, "the little girl" inside me, when describing feelings?

thank you,
tyger

tygereyes
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2007, 5:23 pm

:oops: i'm new. :

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2007, 3:34 pm

you are definitely not alone. its actually a compulsion of mine to look in the mirror over and over again. I have broken two mirrors in two cars from repetitive opening to look in it. It is like i dont remember how i look and have to keep checking. Still, its hard to connect that the person i look like is me. Its actually difficult to take. I dont see myself as a sexual person, so cartoonish fits a little more. I am accused of vanity, but its not that... its just hard to really see the reflection as identical to myself. I have even had nightmares of my reflection coming up behind me and strangling me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2007, 8:50 am

I like what I see when I look in the mirror, these days. I see myself as I really am - a product of the 1970s. I didn't really like what I saw, over the ten years before this year. I was pretending to be a Swingning Mod, and I've come to the realization that I wasn't really a Swinger, durring those days. I was too edgy. I look more real to myself, now than I did back in the Austin Powers days.

heyyoujess
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2007, 4:54 am

I hate looking in the mirror, especially when I get to my eyes. I look in the mirror once a day, on average, before I leave for work, just to make sure I look "okay."

Sapphires
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Nov 2007, 5:08 am

Hey, you can put on make-up and do your hair. Your AS can't be that bad, right? :)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2007, 5:18 am

Sedaka wrote:
sometimes when i see myself... i feel removed from myself. like how you touch your leg when it's asleep and you feel it, but it feels different...... i feel like im looking at a wax dummy or something... is what i mean... something not real or alive

Yeah. Me too. I am in my head.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

heyyoujess

21 Nov 2007, 5:19 am

No make-up - I don't like the way it feels on my skin. My hair is always cut in a bob, preferably razor-cut so the ends feel smooth, and all I have to do is brush it. I've made a lot of choices based on the fact that I hate looking in the mirror, including clothing - I buy things that fit the same way every time, and don't take much adjusting.

I don't like the way I look - I don't feel like I should look like that, and my eye-contact issues are made worse by the fact that I have a wandering eye, and to watch it "wander" drives me nuts!

In fact, now that I think of it, I just hung the mirror in the bathroom after two weeks of it being down (the wall needed to be patched), and I didn't miss it - while it was down , I only needed a mirror once to put on a difficult pair of earrings.