Do your friends and family know you have Autisim or AS?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:27 pm

My whole family know but not that many of my friends know...how about you lot? :)

9-9-2006
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2007, 1:36 pm

The same as you, my whole family knows, but my mother has unfortunately told against everyone :cry: I wanted to keep it secret.

And are you happy that everyone (family) know, Gismo?

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:40 pm

9-9-2006 wrote:
The same as you, my whole family knows, but my mother has unfortunately told against everyone :cry: I wanted to keep it secret.

Yeah, Yeah! I'm totally O.K. with it, I don't really mind people knowing I have autisim, My mum usally gets into difficult conversations with people where she has no choice but to reveal I have Autisim so I don't really mind

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:40 pm

9-9-2006 wrote:

Yeah, Yeah! I'm totally O.K. with it, I don't really mind people knowing I have autisim, My mum usally gets into difficult conversations with people where she has no choice but to reveal I have Autisim so I don't really mind

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 1:58 pm

Pretty much everyone in my family knows.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 2:13 pm

No.

I've told my father and he seems to agree with me after I told him what AS/HFA is. Telling others though, will be hard to do.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2007, 2:19 pm

Some of my family knows, none of my school friends know, and all of my camp friends know (it's a camp for AS kids so it's kind of obvious).

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:03 pm

I suspect that my parents and my boyfriend either know or guess that I have AS or HFA. My boyfriend used to get offended when I'd use the wrong tone of voice, but now he acts like he believes me when I say, "I did not mean to sound angry. I did not know it sounded that way." My parents thought I had HFA when I was a kid and they did ABA-type stuff with me. But I've never talked to any of them about it, nor do I want to.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:03 pm

I saw the name of this thread, and it's PERFECT!

I am suspecting Asperger's/Autism. I keep gathering evidence toward it. I decided to call a random relative about it, one of my uncle's today... his responce was long, but I first said I suspected I had a certain problem, and I named off the Autism/Asperger's list... he said something to the effect like "Of couse that's why people think something is wrong with you..."

Then I mentioned Autism. He basically said! Of course that's the name for it! I saw a lot about it on tv, but so what? I've read up a lot about that. Everyone in this family does to some degree or another, some of us have been called crazy for it! I have it a bit too, just remember, you're like Einstein and you are not crazy! Just remember, they might think you are crazy, but you are not! I know... I can't get along with normal people either...

So, at least one relative knew about it, didn't tell me cause he was pretty sure I already knew about it cause he knew I was smart enough to figure it out, is that like a first 8O

Edit: Best part, I told my uncle I think part of the problem was I work at a place where someone said they had a "360 degree burn" He seemed confused... I started saying umm.. you know, like a circle but confusing it with a type a burn. He said... I know, umm... was he trying to make a joke? I said "No, I think he was serious" Uncles starts laughing, then hangs up the phone... either uncle truly is Autistic also... or he's making fun of me 8O

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Last edited by Angnix on 09 Nov 2007, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:13 pm

My family know i have AS n some of me m8s know but obviously dey have AS 2.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 3:13 pm

My family know i have AS n some of me m8s know but obviously dey have AS 2.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 4:59 pm

It was my mom who suggested that I might be a high functioning Autistic.
This was shortly after a "60 Minutes" profile of Jerry Newport and Mary Meinel
that was aired in 1996 by Leslie Stahl.
Link

Tog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2007, 5:07 pm

Well everybody knows I am "unusual" ;-)
Was treated for hyperactivity in the 60's (age 9) using phenobarbitone which really screwed up the next 30 years of my life! Bouts of depression, hospitalisation, medication, under-achieving, bizarre and risky behaviour etc etc.

My son is diagnosed with autism and a moderate learning disability and reckon he follows me with the first part ~ the second was due to difficult birth.

So all the attention actually goes onto my son because he is outwardly autistic - I am trying to come to terms with the fact that people will never really appreciate the distress and difficulties i have because i am high functioning.

Peace

Tog

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 5:40 pm

My son knows. Because he knows that he's the same as me and he's dx'd, so he figures that I am too. But I'm not dx'd. My mom has finally kinna accepted me. She's getting used to the idea, now. My dad still doesn't really make the connection between my inability to handle stress and my AS. My husband is riding the fence. He knows I have some stuff, but he doesn't get it that it's a milder form of what my son does. My friends get it. They all understand perfectly how all of my stuff adds up to be AS.

It's okay with me if people know. It's not a secret. I've always been the weird kid. I'd get a tattoo if I believed in them. I guess I'll just have to settle for the invisible weird tattoo on my forehead.

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2007, 7:43 pm

A couple of close friends know about it, but my family know absolutely nothing about it officially (well, technically still unofficially, but tht's a seriously long story for another day and another thread.)

Anyway, i'm nowhere near ready to tell any family until I have the very minimum of an official diagnosis. Even if I had the diagnosis I don't think i'd tell my family straight away as i'm still not ready to deal with that, especially when I don't yet have the hard evidence to back things up and avoid some potentially akward, and maybe even combustible confrontations/conversations.

I have a good family, who I am in no way close to, and I know that they'd immediately be accepting of me once i'd explained everything to them, but going through that still scares me too much to face right now, so i guess i'll save that internal battle for another day.

Friends I have told understand and accept everything, and right now that's all I need.

amhealy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2007, 7:53 pm

I'm not close to anyone in my family, so no one knows because I didn't figure it out until about 4 years ago.

My kids know, and they understand and say it makes sense.

As far as friends or business associates, well, I don't have any friends. Only one business associate knows because he told me that he has it. I remember how difficult it was when I would tell someone I had ADHD. People are very negative about it. I don't need to hear everyone's opinions.

But sometimes, things happen that I have to explain. But I don't say I have AS. I usually explain it differently.

For instance, when I don't recognize a client or an associate, I just say I have this brain glitch when it comes to recognizing people. I explain that after I have seen someone more than just a few times, I will usually remember them.

Or when I get lost here in Orange County, where I have lived for 49 years, I explain I am really bad at directions and I get turned around easily.

People understand these types of explanations better than if I said I had AS.