Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 9:44 am

Aarrgghh! Control freaks! Why don't they just mind their own business and let us be? They always have to impose their way on everyone. :roll:

Anyway, the only ones who did this to me were my grandparents. Of course, with them being from an older generation, they still believe reading without using artificial light, and it still could be a load of sunlight coming through the window, will render you blind. Good thing I live on my own and have no one to pester me about my habits, reading or otherwise.

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 12:10 pm

I hate dark rooms, and in fact, I love having lots of light. My father hates this because I don't turn them off when I leave, but this is because I want the light on when I come back. While floursencent light is not as high quality (and I can pick on on that) I have no problem with using it for everyday situations. In fact, my bedroom is lit with flourscent, and I wanted to keep them in, b/c there wasn't enough natural/artficial light sources to sastify me. I prefer my rooms and places to be filled with light instead of dim, all the the time, and for all reasons, except when I sleep.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 4:13 pm

People are always turning lights on for me, thinking they're doing me a big favor. Why do they think I need so much light???

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2005, 4:34 pm

I just replaced the light dimmer switch in our bathroom. It didn't dim darkly enough. (It also used to ring annoyingly.) Now I can set it so darkly that I can only see the lightbulbs faintly, even after a few minutes of adjustment!

In our last appartment, I used to sit in the so-called sun room at night during the full moon, with lights off of course. It was a favorite activity of mine. Our house isn't oriented the same way, nor do we have a similar sun room. :(

Lyssie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2005, 6:35 pm

Serissa wrote:
Do you get this a lot: "Why don't you have a light on?"

Answer: "I like it dark and stale." Alternately, "Nothing brightens my day like gloom."

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 8:06 pm

Prometheus wrote:
I hate dark rooms, and in fact, I love having lots of light. My father hates this because I don't turn them off when I leave, but this is because I want the light on when I come back. While floursencent light is not as high quality (and I can pick on on that) I have no problem with using it for everyday situations. In fact, my bedroom is lit with flourscent, and I wanted to keep them in, b/c there wasn't enough natural/artficial light sources to sastify me. I prefer my rooms and places to be filled with light instead of dim, all the the time, and for all reasons, except when I sleep.

I actually do turn on lights when I want a more cheerful room. I notice if I feel like light is lacking to improve my mood. I just don't notice when I actually need it to see by. That's extremely counterintuitive, isn't it?

RettDevil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Oct 2005, 11:23 pm

Lyssie wrote:
Serissa wrote:

Answer: "I like it dark and stale." Alternately, "Nothing brightens my day like gloom."

Sounds akin to my answer.

"AHHHH IT BURNS US!" *cower*.

They always feel compelled to turn the light on FOR me. Nasty people.

Last edited by RettDevil on 26 Oct 2005, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 12:51 am

I like room both dark sometimes and sometimes with light. I t depends on my mood though.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 1:44 am

It's funny, in the summer I'm constantly trying to close the shades & curtains against the daytime sun, the rest of the year I'm trying to do the opposite. It gets too hot at points in summer. Most often winter gets way too cold, so I try to wring any little bit of light & warmth from the windows. Enjoy how it feels to lie next to window, close my eyes, and have the sun shine through them-looks gilded & swirly-nice leisure activity.

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2005, 7:19 am

Geez, I can't believe I didn't include this. For years I've showered completely in the dark. I'm happiest when there's no light entering the bathroom at all - late at night or early in the morning.

When I travel and am in a strange bathroom, I usually will shower with the light on for the first time; after that, I know the room sufficiently that I can navigate it in the dark.

ajs_line_of_silver
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2005, 9:39 am

mathogre wrote:

Quote:
Geez, I can't believe I didn't include this. For years I've showered completely in the dark. I'm happiest when there's no light entering the bathroom at all - late at night or early in the morning.

-lol i though i was the only one

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 10:59 pm

ajs_line_of_silver and mathogre

How do You both shower with the lights off?

Just have to ask.

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2005, 6:29 am

Maybe it helps that my eyesight is really poor. As I can't see much without my glasses anyway, turning out the lights takes little away.

I know where my washcloth, shampoo, and soap are located. I know where the shower controls are located. I turn on the fan, turn out the light, walk into the tub, draw the curtain, and turn on the water, adjusting the temperature before switching it from the tub spiggot to the shower head. I shampoo, rinse, scrub my body, rinse, and spend probably way too much time enjoying the warm water flowing down my body. No one disturbs me, usually. When I'm through, I turn off the water, grab my towel, and dry myself. Once out of the tub, I turn on the light.

Sanityisoverrated
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 7:26 am

I read the title and assumed you were offering an alternative to the commonly used expression "hard on".

MsDenver1
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Oct 2005, 1:16 am

For those who posted about weakness in the left eye -- I am interested to know if you are right-handed?

Also, has anyone else here checked out the eye strengthening software called EyeQ? There's a demo on the website
http://www.infmind.com/

This software was recommended to us by my son's tutor a couple of weeks ago. My husband and son both started using it daily and it really gives a workout to their (weak) left eye. They are both right-handed and mild-to-moderate Aspies.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2005, 8:08 pm

Serissa wrote:

My grandparents are always doing that to me; I apparently read in light that is "too dim." I don't mind light; in fact I like light and if it's not sunny for long enough I get really seasonal affect-y and tired. However I just never really notice light not being bright enough. If I can read in it, I can read in it.
OMG. Same here. It kind of annoys me when my parents remind me that the light is too dim, or anoyingly turn the light on when I don't think it necessary. In fact, I can even read when it is quite dim, and sometimes without my glasses.