Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Henry
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2007, 10:44 am

I've heard several people suggest recently that it is sterotypical for people with Asperger Syndrome, at some point, to become interested in trains.

Has this ever happened to you?

I wouldn't describe myself as obsessed, but personally, I can't think of much that I don't like about travelling on the railways.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2007, 10:51 am

If it weren't for other passengers, trains would be my main means of transportation.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:22 am

Trains is 1 of my main interests i used 2 work in a railway industry but i have always had a interest in trains at a young age especially diesel trains but don't mind electric but i sometimes film trains aswell.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 9:26 pm

Let me think about it

When I was very little, we lived in a small town outside of Wellington, New Zealand. The city had a commuter train system and I liked to ride on it. I got to ride both the trains and the Cable Car.
When I was four or so, I had a Duplo train and loved it
When I was six I had a Thomas the Tank Engine birthday cake
When I was 10 I had a Lego train set
In 1999, I got to ride Eurostar (a TGV) for the first time and also the London Underground. I also got a poster sized print of the Underground map that I still have hanging up in my living room. In addition, I got a model Eurostar train that was unfortunately lost recently when my parents moved house.
When visiting relatives in London, I like to take the train rather than riding in a car or bus. When I go to Europe next year, I plan to stop in London first and then take Eurostar to Paris

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:17 pm

I grew up with Thomas the Tank Engine, and railways have been in my heart since.

Belle77
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:22 pm

I've never been around trains enough to become obsessed with them.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 10:27 pm

Trains! :D

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

24 Nov 2007, 11:26 pm

i used to like walking on train tracks but never was really facinated with trains myself

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2007, 1:30 am

I've had model trains on and off for the last 40 years. I used to ride the trains in Europe in the 1980's while on business trips and found them to be a great way to get around.

I'm currently on holiday in New Zealand, staying with friends that I met through model railway contacts. Tomorrow I'm taking the train into Wellington for a Mac users group meeting.

Berserker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 1:32 am

I'm not obsessed with trains, but they are interesting.

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:16 am

My son (HFA) loves trains.

I love the sound of them. I live near railways and always have. Something about it soothes me.

CaptainWill
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2007, 3:07 am

I never used to find trains interesting as a child, but I did have small obsessions with warships and passenger aircraft.

However, from last year I've been getting the train an awful lot and have formed likes and dislikes for particular models and units, and I know the class numbers or nicknames of most of the trains which my regional train operator uses. I also like railway stations where the trains sometimes don't stop, like Weybridge. There is something awesome about watching the train approaching from a distance, and the noise building until it blasts your ears; the whoosh of air and the noise of sparks crackling from the third rail; then the disappointment of it receding into the distance.

TurtleJen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Nov 2007, 7:51 am

I had an interest in model trains at one point when I was little. I love the ones that go on the track. I have one that makes smoke as it goes. ^^

My 2 or 3 yr old cousin loves Tomas and can name all the trains he owns. 8O

Daggerblade
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2007, 8:27 am

I think I can remember trains being one of my first obsessions, along with/after/before planes. I used to look at all the pictures in the books we had in our primary school, not so much reading anything, but just looking at the snaking railway switches, it was very fascinating.

I remember once when I was little that my grandmother took me down to a railway in Devon where there were traditional steam locomotives and carriages. We went down there a few times, I loved it every time I went.

Being Londoner, I travel on the Underground. I mostly take a ten-minute journey from my town to college on a sub-surface A60/A62 rolling stock on the Metropolitan Line, though I've gotten the occassional Piccadilly Line on a 1973 rolling stock. The former is terribly loud (I can hear them from my college campus 10 minutes walk from the station) and the latter isn't long enough to fill a whole platform. Oh well. Both can get crowded at times and seeing as I like my personal space, it leaves something to be desired. I also like to sit down on the journey to and from to rest my legs because I have trouble walking long distances, so having to stand up for the entire journey isn't pleasant.

I also travelled on the Underground proper the other week when I visited the Tate Modern art gallery with my college group. We travelled on the Jubilee Line in 1996 rolling stock. I love the sound they make when they pull out of the stations, it's very otherworldly.

I'd love to travel outside of London on the railways, I imagine it'd be a very fulfilling experience. I like the look of the rolling stock operating outside here, it reminds me of the trains I took in and out of Dublin when I went there in the summer.

I think you can gather that I like trains. :P

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Nov 2007, 8:33 am

I love trains. Always have. And the Tube! And the London Underground Map too. One of the most beautiful designs in the world!! At least it was until the late 80's when added the jubilee line etc, which began to unbalance/crowd the spaces.
Love long train journeys, through Greece and Turkey, and along coastlines, and along the backs of houses so can see all the usually hidden parts of them ( all the rubbish and mess of backyards!)! ! And stations for waiting and watching people, and drinking coffee and reading frivolous magazines with passionate attention, and departure boards, and sleepy station concourses in the south, along the mediterranean, where can congregate with wine and spliffs and guitars and no fixed destination, and hang out till dusk or later, even sleep next to the station buildings, and nobody comes to move you on. And watching landscapes flash past with no need to step into them, and scenes out of stories pop up and get left behind, and not having to do anything but watch and think.
And the swaying movement, the smooth glide, the irrisistible advance, the absence of traffic lights!! How safe they feel.
Don't know a thing about them, tho was impressed by the information, gleaned from a childrens science programme my son watches sometimes, that the wheels on TGVs/superspeed trains are turned by electromagnetism. I didn't know that!!
I prefer older trains tho where can open the windows, and stretch out, and get snug and picnicky and owner-ish with six seats in a compartment!!

8) 8) 8)

Kaid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2007, 7:28 pm

I don't remember ever having any interest in trains, whats the attraction?