Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2007, 4:24 pm

Last night i sat down in front the TV to watch a documentary on Channel 5 about the Titanic (something Ive loved all my life). I thought it might just be one of those naff repeats but no it was actually a newly made program and what were they investigating??

What caused the ship to break into two pieces?? And why was the piece of keel found to be broken cleanly??

As i have said for many many years the Ship would have broke before being able to rise to a great degree as the superstructure had an "Expansion joint". one aft and one forward to give the ship a bit of flexibility during heavy seas. If you look at the wreck of the ship the forward expansion joint has broken very very cleanly apart. Now look at the original deck plans and you will see the aft expansion joint just behind the 3rd funnel. Follow the plans down and you will come to the engine room.

Now imagine several thousand tonnes of water pulling the ship down at the front and all the stress of the engines being put on one flimsy expansion joint that is merely designed to give the ship a bit of spring. For about the last ten years i have stuck to that theory that the ship broke cleanly and at a low degree angle and nowhere had anyone said the same thing until last night i see a program with all the experts and computer graphics and telling me that they have just discovered what caused the ship to break up ! !! !

AT LAST ! !! !

Talk about being driven mad :x

Alex(uk)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Dec 2007, 4:33 pm

:D congratulations. :D

I'm still waiting for "them" to find out how i'm right about something!! :lol:

8)

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2007, 5:47 pm

I watched a show on the History Channel talking about
expansion joints also. Basically saying what you just did.
It must have been the same episode.
My son is 9yrs old and diagnosed AS, he has been obsessed
with the Titanic for a long time now. We have learned alot.
It is very intresting. We went to an Artifact Exhibit in Atlanta, GA
last Christmas. There is an exhibit in Lake Charles, LA right now and we are planning on going during Christmas brak. It is really neat. The exhibit is on actual artifacts that they collected from the ship.

Basshead
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 6:11 pm

Well done, dude!

I'm a hypochondriac. Please don't kill me.

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2007, 6:27 pm

I hear a lot about artifacts and different exhibitions but that doesn't really do anything for me because it means so much to me it just seems pointless.

For me going down in one of the MIR subs and seeing it and being there for real is what one day i intend to do. I don't want to touch or take anything away but i just want to peep through that window at this silent spirit that has consumed my whole life...

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Dec 2007, 7:08 pm

We've also been to the exhibit in Orlando. It is very interesting and my son loved it. He likes that he can see
actual things that were in the ship and how they look today. He watches the documentaries and said he would like to go underwater and see the actual wreckage but he doesn't know if his body will be able to "handle" it.

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

12 Dec 2007, 7:15 pm

I really bizarrely love the idea of cramming myself into this tiny space and free falling for two and half hours getting colder and darker..............And all i would see with my own eyes would be a blurry piece of rusty metal......But boy i can not wait till that day comes ! !!

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2007, 7:16 pm

:mrgreen:

Titanic was my absolute die-hard obsession from when I was about 11-14. I have every book on the subject available in NZ, dozens of scrapbooks, plans, photos, etc....

Glad I'm not the only one with this one! :D

(Bit annoyed I missed the show though; I'm not so into it anymore, but would've been really keen to see that).