do you feel better about yourself knowing you have as.

Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

do you feel better knowing your as.
Poll ended at 31 Dec 2007, 9:48 pm
no 5%  5%  [ 5 ]
yes 95%  95%  [ 93 ]
Total votes : 98

SusyQ
Raven
Raven

24 Dec 2007, 11:38 am

Yes!! It was a relief to know that I wasn't this horrible person, that there were legitimate reasons for the way I was!
However, I'm thankful I didn't get diagnosed until I was 21 (I'm 24 now), because it forced me to overcome things I might not have if I'd known that I had AS.

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Dec 2007, 1:41 pm

Yes. I used to think I was just egotistical (which was reinforced by my mother constantly calling me selfish as a kid).

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2007, 1:45 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I'm glad I was diagnosed because it brought me here, but it caused me a lot of grief too, being treated a way I didn't want to be treated, etc. I don't know if it did harm or good; it may have saved my life or it may have killed part of me, or it may one day kill me.

Ana, mi amiga, I didn't learn there was even a name for my condition until I was almost 40. Until then, I thought I was just a badwrong person, because I couldn't manage to be like "everyone else", no matter how I tried. Now I know why, which is a big help.

Trust me, without the diagnosis, society would have "killed part of you" - if you weren't careful, possibly the best part.

Tsaryn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Dec 2007, 5:30 pm

Absolutely 100% yes do I feel better knowing. Like others have posted here, it explains so many things about myself that I tried to put a name to but couldn't quite place. All quirks were not just random but actually all went together. Everything made perfect sense for once in my life... HOWEVER..... (and here's another topic if anyone wants to add to it)....

....while I am glad I know now, I'm not so sure it would have been good to know this my whole life. While I'd like to think I wouldn't have used the knowledge as an excuse, who knows? Maybe I wouldn't have accomplished all the things that I have had I known. So this part is confusing---I don't believe in changing the past because if you change the bad you stand to change the good as well. And I am the person I am today because I faced all the challenges/pitfalls of being who I am and ironically finally learned to accept myself maybe a month prior to finding out I have AS (there's a weird twist of fate, huh?).

On the otherhand, had I known, might I have been a happier person through my life? I'll never know....

Telos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Dec 2007, 6:54 pm

OK,OK. I'm brand spanking new to WP. This is my first post - well it's actually my second post . I have not been tested for AS, but know that I have it. Can't wait to get tested and make it official.

At 55 years of age, I have spent a lifetime wondering what might be wrong(different) with me and also trying extra hard to be like everyone else.

Temple Grandin is one of my heroes. I like and raise cattle too. She is the person who brought me to this destination.

Happy Holidays to all of you. Jack in Texas

P.S. If anyone knows where I can get tested for AS in the Dallas area, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Dec 2007, 7:56 pm

I chose yes. It feels much better being informed than not.

lovesusagi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2007, 3:43 am

YES , YES , YES ! ! i always knew i was different , and thought i was the only one like me ! ! now i know there is a whole group of people like me , it makes me feel more normal , like i belong ! !

smallholder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Dec 2007, 11:28 am

Yes, I feel better about myself knowing that I have AS. Being able to put this label on myself enables me to describe myself succinctly, which de-clutters my mind. It has also enabled me to understand, and accept, what my relationship is to the rest of society. And it helps me to accept my reactions as a part of myself, accept my strengths and weaknesses, and ensure that my goals are realistic.

Joeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2007, 6:33 pm

If I hadn't found out, I'dve gone mad. :roll:

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 6:59 pm

Heck yes! It was nice to finally have an explanation for the way I am.

beautifuloblivion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2007, 7:10 pm

I don't feel better or worse about myself. Asperger's is just a lable. A classification of behaviors. I try to act naturally without judgement.

excluded_middle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Dec 2007, 10:58 pm

It was absolutely bizarre reading about AS. People had shown me these personality traits things (INTP, INTJ type stuff), horoscopes, etc etc.. Since they never described me at all, when I read lists that Aspergers describes me so accurately it was amazing! (I learned about this from WrongPlanet as well.. thank you so much).

smallholder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Asperger's is just a lable.

I don't agree with that. Asperger's is a label, yes, but it describes a neurological wiring which is an intrinsic characteristic of ours, albeit a poorly understood one.

smallholder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 12:33 pm

Quote:
If I hadn't found out, I'dve gone mad.

So would I, and I would probably have become a tramp too.

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 12:40 pm

I'm glad I found out about this syndrome because I was thinking I had Depesonaliztion Disorder for a while.

smallholder
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Dec 2007, 12:43 pm

Quote:
I'm glad I found out about this syndrome because I was thinking I had Depesonaliztion Disorder for a while.

Can't you have depersonalization disorder as well as Asperger's? Usually, people with Asperger's develop other psychiatric problems too. Me, I have experienced derealization.