Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Leo21k
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2007, 1:09 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Do NT's do this? Or is it one of those obsessional things we aspies tend to crave?

I've seen a lot of NTs listen to their current favorite song over and over again. My upstairs neighbor right now has "No One" by alicia keys on repeat for the last 2 hours.

Another neightbor had Beuatiful Girls by sean kingston playing all day the other day.

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2007, 1:23 am

I do that a lot, either with one song or one CD/playlist. It really annoys my brother, which makes it that much better. lol

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Dec 2007, 1:39 am

Yes, I do this often when online.

Whenever I get a new album I load it onto my windows media player and press repeat until about 2 weeks later. I wear headphones now as my mother tells me that if I am going to do that, to wear headphones. [also because of the fact that she doesn't like my music]

excluded_middle
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2007, 2:16 am

This is something I found a lot of aspies do! I am doing it now :D (playcount 280)

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 2:20 am

excluded_middle wrote:
This is something I found a lot of aspies do! I am doing it now :D (playcount 280)

The only thing better is to find a cd that all sounds the same. lol

No, actually I don't usually enjoy that.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 2:32 am

Addendum: listening to a song you like frequently is "normal".

Listening to a song you like over and over again all throughout the day, excluding things you "should" be doing, is an "abnormal" thing. Listening to the same several seconds of a song over and over again instead of the complete song is an "abnormal" thing. These two are autistic things; my psychiatrist told me such, and I've seen other autistic people do these.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2007, 2:44 am

I also repeatedly watch the same tv shows and DVDs, and there are some books I've probably read in excess of 100 times...

Yeah, definitely an "aspie thing" :)

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 2:45 am

Ive done that before on occasion, though usually with albums and not individual songs, though I do tend to listen to the same song a few times in a row if Ive had it on my mind lately, and generally go back to that point of the album when I first get into a car and listen to it again. Last time I remember listening to a single song playlist on repeat, was with The Eagles - Journey of the Sorcerer for multiple hours while playing games.

Although not music related but still dealing with repetition. Ive never had a problem with Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games and what is commonly referred to as Farming in them, killing the same enemies over and over for loot or experience. The repetition never bothered me, but all my friends absolutely hated doing it. I'd just put on some music and go spend a few hours killing the same things in one area and not be bored.

Eire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2007, 3:26 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Listening to the same several seconds of a song over and over again instead of the complete song is an "abnormal" thing.

I do this. My playcount on the songs I listen to over and over again aren't that high because I usually don't play the whole song through. I listen to the same part of the song over and over. Mostly on my ipod because it's easier to do it there.

dongiovanni
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 3:32 am

As long as a piece is complete it works for me. I can't count the number of times I've heard Beethoven 5, Beethoven 9 - IV. (accompanied by me shouting the bass part), or the Hallelujah Chorus (also with my accompaniment). We know when s**t's good and we want moar. MOAR I SAY!! !

I won't translate it because it doesn't mean anything.

Jayutimestwo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Dec 2007, 4:06 am

Yep, but only with certain songs. I also do it with certain tv show episodes (I get my favourites on dvd so I can do this) and certain books. The songs, episodes and books I do it with change from time to time but I've always got at least one thing that I have going in the background (over and over and over). I don't see that it matters. I watch dvds in my room where nobody else has to see and my mp3 player means that no-one's bothered by my music so it has no effect on anyone else. It helps me block out distractions which means I can concentrate better to work or have an easier time relaxing. I see no downside and no reason to stop (other then as an attempt to conform to some completely arbitrary model of normality, and that never works anyway)

I also used to zone out on spinning a toy cars wheel and I build kit-set models, take them apart and build them again over and over until I get them exactly perfect.

Jayutimestwo

27 Dec 2007, 4:09 am

dongiovanni wrote:
As long as a piece is complete it works for me. I can't count the number of times I've heard Beethoven 5, Beethoven 9 - IV. (accompanied by me shouting the bass part), or the Hallelujah Chorus (also with my accompaniment). We know when sh**'s good and we want moar. MOAR I SAY!! !

I do that too

duh duh duh DAHHHHHHHHHHH
duh duh duh DAHHHHHHHHHHH

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

27 Dec 2007, 5:40 am

Danielismyname wrote:

Listening to a song you like over and over again all throughout the day, excluding things you "should" be doing, is an "abnormal" thing. Listening to the same several seconds of a song over and over again instead of the complete song is an "abnormal" thing. These two are autistic things; my psychiatrist told me such, and I've seen other autistic people do these.

I've done them both.. and the one I did last night was the former of your statements. I just couldn't turn it off. I was awake 'til 5:30am because I had to listen to that song one more time, and then one more time again. Rocking back and forth. It was fun, actually. I felt comfy.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 6:08 am

Eire wrote:
I do the same thing with books, movies and tv shows. If I like a thing, I can read/watch it over and over again.

This is me in a nutshell.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

merr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2007, 8:13 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
Do NT's do this? Or is it one of those obsessional things we aspies tend to crave?
Yeah, I do it. I find a song I like, and I'll listen to it over and over. Eventually, after about a week, it doesnt sound the same, and I move on and do the same thing with another song. I think it annoys my AS boyfriend. I remember listening to one song over and over and he told me to stop. :lol:

JDoherty
Toucan
Toucan

27 Dec 2007, 8:56 am

I listen a lot to Billy Joel songs recently on the PC, at least it's only me getting to hear it with the headphones on. About a month before that, I was constantly playing Creedence Clearwater Revival songs.