Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2008, 7:43 pm

I thought of this the other day....

Real life heroes who have actually lived or are living as apposed to say a fictional person like Superman, Doc Brown or Han Solo....

I have quite a few and these are people that really mean something. Something that i will always bring up in conversation as a reference to or just ramble on about them because what they mean or represent are just so fantastic that i might not know their birth date or their kids names but can appreciate them for what they do and absolutely love them for it...

OK Number 1 on my list by miles is ....

George Lucas

In at number 2 ,

John Delorean

Then there are the others in no particular order...

Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Joseph Bazalgette
Margaret Thatcher
James Cameron
Patrick Mcgoohan
Jeremy Clarkson
And Simon Cowell

A mish-mash of people who to me are pretty damn amazing and who i just cant help admiring and quite often find myself referring to in conversation about the most trivial of things......

Obviously there are many other real life people like Kurt Cobain or John Lennon or Richey Edwards or even, dare i say it, Tony Blair that i have appreciated certain things they have done but i just cant call a "hero". But the list above is of my all time greats.....

Any views ??

AlexUK

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 8:49 pm

One of my heroes is English miler Roger Bannister. He overcame great odds to accomplish what was once considered impossible, breaking the four minute mile. His triumph came on May 6, 1954, at Iffley Road, London, when he ran the mile in 3:59.4. That same year, he became a doctor, won the Empire Games Mile in Vancouver, Canada, and married Moyra Jacobssen. At 33, he became a consultant neurologist. He and Moyra had four children and 14 grandchildren. He was successful in all areas of his life.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 9:14 pm

Do you know that George Lucas' three adult children were adopted when they were small...his two girls and a boy? I think it says alot about a man to adopt three children and raise them well after his divorce from his wife. But then again, having all that income from his films and being a "famous" dad was a BIG help.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2008, 9:46 pm

My Uncle Woodrow. The damage he took in Korea and the way he fought to stay alive for the next 50 years after the doctors gave up on him is an inspiration. He never gave up and outlived the doctors that told him he would die within the next year.

My Step Grandfather. He worked hard all his life both for himself and to help others. He was a firm believer in that men should be judged by their deeds and not by the circumstances of their birth.

Joe Simpson. What he went through on Siula Grande is a great testament to the human spirit and body.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:00 pm

My oldest brother. My idol, and the only thing I lived for during my middle school years.

And every hard working low or middle class person who lives an honest life.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 10:37 pm

Dr. Roger Fouts, the scientist who taught American Sign Language to chimpanzees is my hero.

He showed me how to communicat with, understand and enjoy my profoundly autistic daughter on a level no other autism consultant came close to. He changed how I communicate with all living things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Fouts

AlexUK
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2008, 5:29 pm

Oh and i forgot another kind of Hero......Hans Asperger :lol:

Couldn't forget him ! !!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 7:33 pm

Paul Erdos, Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein, Neils Bohr, Francis Crick, James Watson, Srinivasa Ramanujan, Robert Oppenheimer, Richard Feynman, Abraham Lincoln, John Quincy Adams, Henry Clay, Peter Agre...

I could go on and on!

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 7:37 pm

David Attenborough: English naturalist who makes great nature docs

Richard Dawkins: Atheist and evolutionist

Noam Chomsky: Linguist and political commentator (I met him at a book signing but I was too shy to say anything)

John Keats: My favourite poet

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:

Philip K. Dick: sci-fi author

Mervyn Peake: author of Gormenghast

Robert Fisk: journalist

John Dillon: my Professor of Greek at University, he is a very kind, warm and brilliant man.

Last edited by corroonb on 09 Jan 2008, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OregonBecky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 7:58 pm

Linus Pauling, Oregonian, scientist and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Jan 2008, 9:39 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but my son is my hero. I watch him get through every day and still have the courage to tell people to kiss his ass if they don't get him. He fought every day to learn how to communicate. He gave me the courage to seek the AS diagnosis for him. He told me that he needed to know. He gave me the courage to find a diagnosis for me. He keeps me going through this horrible situation that we are living through right now. Every time that I want to give up, he says, "Mom, we have to keep fighting." His dad has been stalking us on the internet, so I won't put his name down. But he's on WP as well. He knows who he is.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 10:35 am

Am do not have human heroes,am think all the pigeons who carried important letters during the war are heroes.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 11:59 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Am do not have human heroes,am think all the pigeons who carried important letters during the war are heroes.

But they're pigeons, they didn't know what they were doing.

BainAduial
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2008, 2:51 pm

J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis for famous people. Also some poets, but mostly it's the poems that are my inspiration, not the people who wrote them. James Joyce. Albert Einstein.

Not so famous, my Jr. High marching band director, Ken. For a whole lot of reasons. If I ever amount to anything in my life, and I hope I will, then it'll be because of him in some way.

Edit: And Jules Verne. Forgot him. Whoops.

Last edited by BainAduial on 09 Jan 2008, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:30 pm

My hero is my mom, because she protects me. She's also my biggest fan and advocate! I love her very much.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2008, 7:48 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
My hero is my mom, because she protects me. She's also my biggest fan and advocate! I love her very much.

Ditto. I can't imagine why some people would insult her without even knowing her.