Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 5:43 pm

Lots of spankings.

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 6:04 pm

This reminded me of this I saw on the news about Science & Religion :- Don't know if the news on it has changed...

Father Jose G Funes, the present director of the observatory, known as the Specola Vaticana, insisted that there was no sinister significance in the move. "It is not a downgrading of science in the Vatican," he said. "To remain within the palace would have had only a symbolic significance, whereas where we are going we will be even more comfortable. Nearly everybody is in agreement with the move even though I realise that every change produces disquiet." His predecessor, Father George Coyne, said, "I agree completely with Father Funes. We have discussed the issues many times together and with the rest of our Jesuit staff."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 307800.ece

:/

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 6:14 pm

jjstar: as much as i respect your right to freedom of speech and opinion, you are going about it the WRONG way by shoving your opinions on people and belitting those who attempt to debate with you. I'm not entirely fond of your attitude towards the people of this board and to autistics in general, especially those who do not believe in mercury being the cause behind autism. I would hate to have to bring the moderators into this thread, but these self-righteous thoughts of yours, your delusion that you actually KNOW the cause of autism when the answer has eluded the world's top scientists for several decades and remains a mystery today, ends now. Eitehr treat these people with a little more respect, or take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

fabshelly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2008, 6:36 pm

If I had two sea-salt ice creams, Roxas, I'd give you one.

::plays video of Axel singing the cupcake song::

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 6:44 pm

I don't think he's being particularly inflammatory; it's a discussion board, you'll get differing opinions.

skrimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2008, 7:27 pm

shaggydaddy wrote:
haha here is my son's history

2 Breastfed organic living unvaccinated parents (one an aspie) very few medications for either parents ever. Food based organic prenatal vitamins, no fish eaten during pregnancy over mercury concerns. Happy marriage with gleeful anticipation of his birth.

Drug free home water birth.

No vaccinations

Breastfed untill he started solids (and still today at 2.5 years old), not a drop of formula ever

Suprise, he is a carbon copy of his father (me) and yes we are both aspies (well he is PDD-NOS till he gets older because of the age requirements).

Also, we don't find our lives to be isolated or sad. We ENJOY who we are. We celebrate the way we were when we were born.

If there were a recipe for creating more aspies, we would be more likely to procreate in the future, because we love being parents to our aspie boy.

amen shaggydaddy - represent the MDC tree-huggers who do all the right things and still have happy hippie autistic kids.

My kid has never had antibiotics, he's fed a nourishing diet based on traditional foods that I cook from scratch just about every day. He hardly ever watches TV. He plays outside in nature EVERY DAY. I love him, cuddle him, talk to him, bond with him. He was breastfed for 24 months. He slept in bed curled up next to me. He was carried around by me in a sling almost everywhere. Bond as strong as you can get - my precious darling baby boy. Oh. Did I mention, I had no drugs during pregnancy - natural care from a midwife. And my son - he was born at home, in my bed. Not a drug around. All natural darling, just like mother nature intended it ;)

And guess what. He's still autistic. So is his mama. And I'm damn proud we are :)

And thanks for AspieDave's biology lesson - perfect!

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 7:59 pm

skrimpy wrote:
shaggydaddy wrote:

2 Breastfed organic living unvaccinated parents (one an aspie) very few medications for either parents ever. Food based organic prenatal vitamins, no fish eaten during pregnancy over mercury concerns. Happy marriage with gleeful anticipation of his birth.

No vaccinations

Breastfed untill he started solids (and still today at 2.5 years old), not a drop of formula ever

Suprise, he is a carbon copy of his father (me) and yes we are both aspies (well he is PDD-NOS till he gets older because of the age requirements).

Also, we don't find our lives to be isolated or sad. We ENJOY who we are. We celebrate the way we were when we were born.

If there were a recipe for creating more aspies, we would be more likely to procreate in the future, because we love being parents to our aspie boy.

amen shaggydaddy - represent the MDC tree-huggers who do all the right things and still have happy hippie autistic kids.

My kid has never had antibiotics, he's fed a nourishing diet based on traditional foods that I cook from scratch just about every day. He hardly ever watches TV. He plays outside in nature EVERY DAY. I love him, cuddle him, talk to him, bond with him. He was breastfed for 24 months. He slept in bed curled up next to me. He was carried around by me in a sling almost everywhere. Bond as strong as you can get - my precious darling baby boy. Oh. Did I mention, I had no drugs during pregnancy - natural care from a midwife. And my son - he was born at home, in my bed. Not a drug around. All natural darling, just like mother nature intended it ;)

And guess what. He's still autistic. So is his mama. And I'm damn proud we are :)

Did you have amalgam fillings when you were pregnant with him? One study shows mother's of autistics have more amalgam fillings than mother's of non-autistics and some researchers feel the mercury may result in autism. You seem like a very good mother who did all the right things so I'm not blaming you for having fillings if you had them. My mother had lots of amalgams and I don't think I'd be autistic if she didn't have any fillings and didn't vaccinate me.

skrimpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jan 2008, 8:05 pm

zendell wrote:
skrimpy wrote:

Did you have amalgam fillings when you were pregnant with him? One study shows mother's of autistics have more amalgam fillings than mother's of non-autistics and some researchers feel the mercury may result in autism. You seem like a very good mother who did all the right things so I'm not blaming you for having fillings if you had them. My mother had lots of amalgams and I don't think I'd be autistic if she didn't have any fillings and didn't vaccinate me.

Sorry, strike-out! No cavities darling!

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:10 pm

Heya Skrimpy.... see you next week!

And I know I know!! !

You didn't wear your tinfoil hat 24/7!! Or you got withing 5,000 miles of a nuclear reactor!! Or you didn't remember to stay inside so the space aliens wouldn't probe you!! !

:twisted:

Trust me... she's Mary Poppins. I know her and she's "Practically Perfect In Every Way".

:hail:

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:24 pm

shaggydaddy wrote:

No vaccinations

Look, see? No mercury and yet an Aspergian son is born, and one of the parents just happens to also have Asperger's. It's obviously a genetic pattern. Geez, how can everyone not see that?

I know I've brought this up before, but since no one replied back, wouldn't the ceased administration of thimerosol-containing vaccines in Denmark coupled with the actual rising rate of autism kind of throw a monkey wrench into the whole notion?

I've got to say (and it's not just here on this forum) that I have witnessed an almost pious sort of fervor demonstrated by those in support of the mercury/autism connection. I've actually seen bumper stickers saying "Autism is another word for mercury poisoning." Humility and a willingness to absorb new information is the way to win the day here folks, not an unyielding loyalty to your viewpoint (note: I've seen this on both sides of the fence, but to a much greater degree on the mercury/autism advocates). I present evidence, and there's always an excuse of it's validity (which basically means that if it goes against your viewpoint, it's a big business/government agenda).

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

skrimpy wrote:
Sorry, strike-out! No cavities darling!

Even though I believe in environmental causes for autism, I believe there are genetic causes. Since you didn't have fillings or vaccinate your kids, I think it may be genetic in your situation. If you and your autistic son are happy the way you are, then everything is good.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:42 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
I know I've brought this up before, but since no one replied back, wouldn't the ceased administration of thimerosol-containing vaccines in Denmark coupled with the actual rising rate of autism kind of throw a monkey wrench into the whole notion?

It indicates that thimerosal probably isn't a major factor. I believe mercury from dental amalgams increases the chance of autism. Studies show dental amalgams release 10-12mcg of mercury every day on average and up to 100mcg/day in some people. I think thimerosal vaccines contain 25mcg of mercury which is only equivalent to 2 days worth of mercury from amalgam exposure. That's why I don't think the situation in Denmark rules out mercury. Some countries have recently banned amalgam fillings due to the mercury, so we'll have to see what happens to autism prevalence in those countries.

Phagocyte wrote:
I've got to say (and it's not just here on this forum) that I have witnessed an almost pious sort of fervor demonstrated by those in support of the mercury/autism connection. I've actually seen bumper stickers saying "Autism is another word for mercury poisoning."

Image if you had a normal, happy child who suddenly regressed into a child from Hell who withdrew from you, kicked you, hit you, stopped talking, banged his head against the wall, cried and screamed all the time, plus other autistic symptoms. If someone convinced you that mercury caused that, I bet you would be determined to warn others about the dangers of mercury. If you look up "Autism - A novel form of mercury poisoning" you get a scientific paper that quotes 180 references to show that mercury can cause every symptom of autism. I understand how they feel and why they feel so strongly about it.

My own belief is that mercury is one of many things that cause or contribute to autistic symptoms. I'm open to all opinions on the subject. I think sometimes it's environmental and other times it's genetic.

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2008, 8:49 pm

zendell wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

It indicates that thimerosal probably isn't a major factor. I believe mercury from dental amalgams increases the chance of autism. Studies show dental amalgams release 10-12mcg of mercury every day on average and up to 100mcg/day in some people. I think thimerosal vaccines contain 25mcg of mercury which is only equivalent to 2 days worth of mercury from amalgam exposure. That's why I don't think the situation in Denmark rules out mercury. Some countries have recently banned amalgam fillings due to the mercury, so we'll have to see what happens to autism prevalence in those countries.

Phagocyte wrote:
I've got to say (and it's not just here on this forum) that I have witnessed an almost pious sort of fervor demonstrated by those in support of the mercury/autism connection. I've actually seen bumper stickers saying "Autism is another word for mercury poisoning."

Image if you had a normal, happy child who suddenly regressed into a child from Hell who withdrew from you, kicked you, hit you, stopped talking, banged his head against the wall, cried and screamed all the time, plus other autistic symptoms. If someone convinced you that mercury caused that, I bet you would be determined to warn others about the dangers of mercury. If you look up "Autism - A novel form of mercury poisoning" you get a scientific paper that quotes 180 references to show that mercury can cause every symptom of autism. I understand how they feel and why they feel so strongly about it.

My own belief is that mercury is one of many things that cause or contribute to autistic symptoms. I'm open to all opinions on the subject. I think sometimes it's environmental and other times it's genetic.

I'm open to environmental causes, but mercury isn't one of them.

It was ruled in a Maryland court room today that mercury doesn't cause autistic symptoms at all.

The defendants? Several prominent members of the Mercury Militia, including Boyd Haley and Mark Geier.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:16 pm

LeKiwi wrote:
I don't think he's being particularly inflammatory; it's a discussion board, you'll get differing opinions.

Something about his posts suggests a condescending attitude. Besides being force fed a bunch of theories about ASD and mercury which STILL hasn't been proven by anyone, NTM having them presented as FACT and not just a theory (which he shouldn't have done, since i have my doubts about the truth of his sources), the underlying message of "this is the reason you are this way and nothing you say or do can convince me otherwise" left a bad taste in my mouth.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

beau99 wrote:
It was ruled in a Maryland court room today that mercury doesn't cause autistic symptoms at all.

The defendants? Several prominent members of the Mercury Militia, including Boyd Haley and Mark Geier.

I think that was a good decision, but I don't think the courts are where scientific accuracy is decided. (I agree with the decision, just... yeah. Courts are not arbiters of reality.)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 5:29 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:

Something about his posts suggests a condescending attitude. Besides being force fed a bunch of theories about ASD and mercury which STILL hasn't been proven by anyone, NTM having them presented as FACT and not just a theory (which he shouldn't have done, since i have my doubts about the truth of his sources), the underlying message of "this is the reason you are this way and nothing you say or do can convince me otherwise" left a bad taste in my mouth.

Well, do you HAVE to convince him of anything? We're all entitled to our opinions, and this is a discussion board after all... when you're talking about things as heavy as this you're going to get some pretty strong opinions on both sides of the fence. Would you be equally as upset about it had he been on the other side, arguing that black-and-white there is no possible way anything could ever possibly cause autism other than genes and that's that? Because that's just theory too, so if it's his style that bothers you then that should be a problem too. If it's just the subject matter than don't read it. He's not being inflammatory or rude, he's just expressing his opinion, same as we all are. You don't have to agree with it.