Post the most insulting/ condescending/ patronizing thing...

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sovemp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2008, 6:22 pm

I can't remember anything specifically, I just think they're all morons, and sorry I do realize that not ALL psychologists/psychiatrists/counselors/social workers are morons, just all the ones I was sent to were. They tried to put me on Paxil. Something you might not know about me, me and prescription drugs, I don't do that stuff. No way. So I pretended like I was taking it for six months by hiding it under my tongue. The parents are like "oh thank you doctor we see so much improvement." Then I dropped the bomb, "guess what, I've never taken a single one of this evil stuff, it's all in your heads."

If you have someone in your life who's badgering you to take medication (unless of course, you believe you need/want the medication), this is an excellent technique to wise them up.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2008, 7:08 pm

I went to a therapist today for the first time. It's free through my university, so I don't know the quality of it, but I gave it a try. My therapist was a nice elderly man (in his 70s - maybe his 80s.) I shared my concerns (he doesn't like labels like AS, which i expected, but at least he knew what it was.) but we didn't have time for me to share half of them. I explained the stimming - he had a lot of interest in that, but I could tell he didn't exactly know what to make of it. I explained the sleeping difficulties - he suggested warm milk! I'm like if 3 benadryl can't do it, I doubt that will. I explained my anxieties - but he couldn't seem to understand what exactly made me anxious - it's not all social situations, its ones where I have to socialize with many people beyond just chit chat. He was hard of hearing and I just think he was a bit too old. Then I tried to explain my obsessions - he was really interested, but when I explained "House" was my current obsession, he couldn't figure out what that was. He had never heard of the show, and kept asking me about it and when its on and what station - like he didn't believe me or something. I'm going back next week but I would prefer a younger, female therapist - however, I don't really know how to say that. He seemed too perplexed by me - how I could get really good grades, not drink or do drugs, not have an eating disorder, and not havea desire for romantic relationships. It was like he was expecting me to admit to some severe thing. He was really into how I described my mother being difficult - if he tries to blame all of my issues on that, I'll be really annoyed, because most is unconnected. It was nice to share, but I don't feel like it was especially helpful.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 7:11 pm

Hearing that people who I thought were my friends saying
"she has a mental disorder and does what she does for attention!"

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2008, 7:18 pm

This is such an aspiesh thread, its very title made me smile.

Keep up the good work Ana54 :D

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2008, 5:56 am

quirky wrote:
I went to a therapist today for the first time. It's free through my university, so I don't know the quality of it, but I gave it a try. My therapist was a nice elderly man (in his 70s - maybe his 80s.) I shared my concerns (he doesn't like labels like AS, which i expected, but at least he knew what it was.) but we didn't have time for me to share half of them. I explained the stimming - he had a lot of interest in that, but I could tell he didn't exactly know what to make of it. I explained the sleeping difficulties - he suggested warm milk! I'm like if 3 benadryl can't do it, I doubt that will. I explained my anxieties - but he couldn't seem to understand what exactly made me anxious - it's not all social situations, its ones where I have to socialize with many people beyond just chit chat. He was hard of hearing and I just think he was a bit too old. Then I tried to explain my obsessions - he was really interested, but when I explained "House" was my current obsession, he couldn't figure out what that was. He had never heard of the show, and kept asking me about it and when its on and what station - like he didn't believe me or something. I'm going back next week but I would prefer a younger, female therapist - however, I don't really know how to say that. He seemed too perplexed by me - how I could get really good grades, not drink or do drugs, not have an eating disorder, and not havea desire for romantic relationships. It was like he was expecting me to admit to some severe thing. He was really into how I described my mother being difficult - if he tries to blame all of my issues on that, I'll be really annoyed, because most is unconnected. It was nice to share, but I don't feel like it was especially helpful.

Heh, something similar happened to me:
I was in a boarding school summer camp, and I took a course called "Psychology and the Individual" (pretty much adolescent psychology). The teacher was a Chaplain-wannabe-psychologist, and he immediately noticed I was different (in fact, I introduced myself as being a nerd, obsessed with wikipedia, and having social problems). He was sure that I was hiding something, probably about my parents (who I said I got along with very well--I'm home-schooled, and being at home with them all day helps everyone get along better). He always had a bizarre attitude when talking to me, like he wanted to know more about my life... Despite the fact that I spoke far more often than anyone else in the class (I'm guessing they weren't inclined to answer because they live every day with the problems we were discussing), he never accepted that I was telling the truth... and of course now I know why I'm a nerd obsessed with wikipedia and having multiple social problems. :P

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:01 pm

I have to give this one to my mother, back in old days if you were misunderstood, like many others she was given electric shock treatment... did no change a thing of course, just slowly lost more of who she was and her confidence to want to live...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:27 pm

Ny Nana once said, "There's nothing wrong with you. You're just a little bit slow."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 8:04 pm

Mikhaillost wrote:
Hello.

When I first met my shrink she said "Will you try to hurt me if I shake your hand?" bery seriously. She actually thinks I might attack her.

Hah Hah Hah Heh!

sigh. :roll:
that just hit my happy bone, sorry.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:22 am

I've told my shrink from a long time ago, that I could do anything that I put my mind to. She told me, "Within your ability. Most people can reach up here." as she put her hand above her head. "You should reach up to here." as she put her hand between her ankle and her knee. I've stopped seeing her, eight years ago.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:28 am

OMG, CR, tell me more about her!

My shrink also made assumptions about what I could or couldn't do; he assumed I could do something I couldn't do at that time and that resulted in me losing more of my soul! I hope I got it back. I hope I get it back. I think I got it all back. No, I know I got it all back.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 1:35 am

Ana54 wrote:
TF, did he say it slowly and deliberately like that? If so, no, I've never had that dune to me, but if not, yeah, I've been told my a doctor that people with AS are very special people, and I asked "Is that good or bad?" and he said there was some of each.

yes, She did. i only saw her once or twice at school, one of the heap that i was dragged to. My dad has voiced the opinion that counselors are morons, and this thread makes me agree with him(not all of them just some).

cool avatar by the way. :)

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:26 pm

I HATE it when I'm talked to in a slow "parental" tone normally used to talk to a young child or mentally ret*d person, it drives me up the wall. :x

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:38 pm

Well, I was told that I wasn't depressed even though I was going to kill myself in grade 8 :( It was so frustrating.

PinkFeelingBlue
Raven
Raven

08 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

Sorry to bump this old thread but I had to add to it.

My sister always has the best things to say when I've hit a low period. My favorite condescending cliche is "Life is what you make of it." Gee thanks, I feel so much better after that inspiring message.

She's younger than me and was pretty screwed up as a kid and teen. I was the goody two shoes who studied hard and never got into trouble. Now that she's grown up and settled down she puts on the act of being a well rounded and content. I know she's not but she wouldn't admit it anymore. She has an ideal of what life should be and how everyone should act in it. It upsets her I don't conform to who she thinks I should be.

Of course she's the same person who before I was diagnosed asked me,"why do you make it so hard to try and love you?"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 2:06 pm

When I was 16, I was told by my shrink I chose to have anxiety and other issues. I thought that was dumbest and most insulting thing ever he could say to me.

But I just took it literal and he meant "if you don't do a thing about your problems and don't even try and work on them to get better, you are choosing to have those issues." Years later I now have this mindset and agree with it so it's not insulting as it was back then when I first heard it. But the first time I heard it, I did find it insulting and hurtful. My school counselor once told me I chose to not be aware of how others are feeling. That was also a bunch of bull and also very insulting.

When I was 23, I was told by a therapist she thinks I shouldn't have kids because I have AS.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 2:10 pm

When I was 12 I went to a psychiatrist and she told me I was ret*d in front of my mum and I. The words have stuck in my head ever since. I remember she told me ret*d and she asked me if I knew what that meant. She basically said I was socially and developmentally behind all of my peers. Still, the word "ret*d" struck me hard.