Hell, its devoured all my free time 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 71

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2008, 6:19 am

mechanima wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Wikipedia is what the world would like if the world were governed by aspies with a lot of free time. (citation needed)

If so, heaven forbid! :D

Actually the main problem may be that they let in WAY TOO MANY NT....and loads of them got admin status.

M

Nah, NTs are great on wikipedia... most of them are nerds, are policty-abiding, and are nice. There are the occasional rude people who don't assume good faith, but they're few. Then there are a few people who think they're NTs who probably aren't... (I know one admin who says he showered with his shoes on without knowing it). And then there are the aspie admins like me (User:AndonicO), or the OCD admins (a few of them, very good admins).

As for the previous discussions about citing sources and accuracy, I think wikipedia's hit the sweet spot (especially with Good Articles or better). The Asperger's syndrome article is also VERY good (most neutral and unbiased piece of text regarding AS I've read--it was written mainly by NTs, but I count a few Aspies too). When I read the article, I was shocked that I had nearly every symptom there. I self-diagnosed myself as an Aspie. :)

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 9:38 am

I enjoy Wikipedia alot.
About 95% of the people who use Wikipedia are adding real information or at least making good faith edits. It's the other 5% of people (usually anonymous ISPs) who are doing the vandalism that makes Wikipedia look like a joke to the press. Whenever I tell people I edit Wikipedia, they laugh. Which is really sad. I bet alot of people don't know about the Anti-Vandalism groups or the fact that vandalism is usually reverted in seconds or on a rare occasion, minutes (or on rare occasions hours. this one here was left unchecked and vandalised three times before I reverted it [click "newer edit" the revert was by me]). The other thing is the various amount of hoax pages on Wikipedia (these are usually snowball deleted at the Articles for Deletion page though. Alot of them are really stupid)

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2008, 10:38 am

DocStrange wrote:
I enjoy Wikipedia alot.
About 95% of the people who use Wikipedia are adding real information or at least making good faith edits. It's the other 5% of people (usually anonymous ISPs) who are doing the vandalism that makes Wikipedia look like a joke to the press. Whenever I tell people I edit Wikipedia, they laugh. Which is really sad. I bet alot of people don't know about the Anti-Vandalism groups or the fact that vandalism is usually reverted in seconds or on a rare occasion, minutes (or on rare occasions hours. this one here was left unchecked and vandalised three times before I reverted it [click "newer edit" the revert was by me]). The other thing is the various amount of hoax pages on Wikipedia (these are usually snowball deleted at the Articles for Deletion page though. Alot of them are really stupid)
Amen to that Doc Strange. :)

lithium
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Jan 2008, 1:39 pm

i spend the majority of my web surfing time typing random stuff that comes into my head into wikipedia. and if someone msn's me about some subject he needs info about i jump to wikipedia and in less then 5 minutes i know every detail of it and ive seen atleast 5 different sites wich were on the wikipedia links

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Jan 2008, 1:48 pm

http://xkcd.com/214/

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:41 pm

*collapses with laughter*

Now THAT is funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

VMSnith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 3:35 am

SheDevil wrote:
Not long ago, there was a post here regarding the Asperger's page on Wiki and the horrendous editing on AS over there. It has become a war between the AS editors and the non AS editors, and the non AS edits appear to have won....and won in arbitration. It's sad, because the Aspies had sourced material demonstrating positive traits of AS. It's now be buried in the archived pages. I'll have to see if I still have the archived link and everyone can decide for themselves.

Heya,

I'm one of the AS editors who abandoned-retreated-resigned from the wikipedia Asperger's article. You are right that a great deal of very well-sourced information got suppressed. The battle is not yet lost, however. Just this particular batch of soldiers got tired. Others are encouraged to pick up our flag.

The ArbCom (Arbitration Commitee) case actually was a personal conflict between two editors and only tangentially relevant to the issue of balance in that article. No arbcom case has yet been filed for the real issues. The real issues are :
*That article has a heavy bias towards the pathology view of AS.
*Editors have been repeatedly presented with balancing, credible information and rejected it without exception.
*This bias violates Wikipedia's inviolabe policy of NPOV (Neutral Point of View.)
*This bias does injury to living persons, contrary to wikipedia policy and actually illegal under UK and Australian "group libel" laws.

Anybody who wants is encouraged to pursue this. The biggest obstacle is that the editors who consider themselves 'owners' of the article are ... well ... stupid. If you present them with information, be prepared to have to explain the definition of basic words and the most rudimentary principles of statistics. One editor named SandyGeorgia rejected H. Asperger's statement "[People with Asperger's] often achieve the highest levels of professional success" on the grounds that the word "often" means "more than 50% of the time." I'm often at starbuck's. I'm not at starbuck's 50% of the time.

So, um ... bring a towel !

Monkeys will type shakespeare and translate it into swahili before stupid arrogance gives way to competence on wikipedia.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2008, 7:19 am

TLPG wrote:
I used to edit at Wikipedia, but I gave up because their rules regarding notability and verifiability are too harsh in some places, to the point that useful information gets excluded. I fought for it, but the idiots were demanding the impossible - it's very US-centric (if you like). It's hard to add material without mainstream coverage - which is a flexible term there - even though any other encyclopedia would accept it.

It can be useful as a basic resource, but as mentioned it's reliability in general is below average. There are worse resources on the Net but there are better ones as well. About the only thing Wikipedia has in it's favour is it's variety. But that's all.

Still it is better this way than let our opinions get in the way.

For example lets say that you may "hypothetically" that you were "sure" Einstein was an aspie, you would have no proof - nor able to get proof. The circumstantial evidence or thinly support belief may otherwise be passed off as fact.
Einstien aspie? Maybe? Maybe would not be good enough for me to accept as fact.

I think they are in their rights and acting in everyone's best interests to do this.

What do you think I am interested?