Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2008, 8:57 am

Hello, How are you?
Does anyone here have problems with clumbsiness where they will be walking and run their hip/shoulder/arm into something as they pass?

I have found one sort of therpy type thing for that and that would be the game DDR. I discovered that as you play the game, preferably the at home one so there are fewer flashing lights, you learn to control your arms, legs and the directions they go.

Does anyone else have therepy type things they do to try to overcome it.?

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 9:37 am

DDR is pretty good at building balance, timing, and eye-foot control.
I also found that doing yoga helped me know my body a bit more and understand how it moves and works.
I think that most forms of exercise will build that sort of awareness of your body and its position.
I think of exercise as studying for your body. Sure it might not always be fun but you need to do it to learn.

squier
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 11:16 am

Mikhaillost wrote:
Hello, How are you?
Does anyone here have problems with clumbsiness where they will be walking and run their hip/shoulder/arm into something as they pass?

I have found one sort of therpy type thing for that and that would be the game DDR. I discovered that as you play the game, preferably the at home one so there are fewer flashing lights, you learn to control your arms, legs and the directions they go.

Does anyone else have therepy type things they do to try to overcome it.?

I don't know about therapy, but i am very clumsy!
if DDR comes out for the Wii though, tell me, I am willing to try it. i played it once at my cousin's and i was breathless after one song.
I do play guitar hero 3 though, it's made by the same company.

my book:
http://www.lulu.com/content/710903

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2008, 11:29 am

Mikhaillost wrote:
Hello, How are you?

Yes, but I won't go near DDR. I had all kinds of music except Classical...

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

I'm clumsy. It's a source of humorous stories, so I wouldn't want to change it.

chefjenny
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2008, 3:17 pm

Yeah sometimes its like my arms and legs aren't even there until I run them into something (the worst was the piano in the dark. Needless to say, the piano won). But yoga is really good for figuring out where your bits are, and you begin to gain "muscle memory" to keep yourself more coordinated. Too bad I could never make yoga fit into a good routine :) Lifting weights can help too, so I do that instead.

Good luck

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:23 pm

I may have to try this. :lol:

I'm really clumsy.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 3:46 pm

Clumsy Mess topic

When I was a kid this is how I thought the word clumsiness was pronounced. I have Dyspraxia and Central Auditory Processing Disorder as my co-existing diagnoses and so I am quite unco-ordinated. Needless to say I do not drink alcohol, for obvious reasons. I must focus very stronly on what I am doing in order to not come across like a Tepperman Wrecker (Demolition expert). I have problems with employment because of my lack of co-ordination which also slows my movememts. Multitasking is certainly out of the question. I empathize with all who stumble around in the same shoes. :(

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

notlurkingwell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2008, 5:41 pm

I am horrendously clumsy.

The best way I can explain it (to myself!) is to consider that my brain actually thinks I'm a petite 5'2", instead of the great gallumphing 5'10" I actually am. My brain thinks I take up a lot less space than I actually do!

I've often thought that a nice set of whiskers would be really beneficial to my life and my poor oft damaged toes, knees, elbows, hands, fingers, head etc etc...

:lol:

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 5:47 pm

Clumsiness is very embarrassing for me. Being socially inept isn't a problem because I am an extreme introvert, but I find clumsiness extremely annoying.

Along with clumsiness I have very poor dexterity. At the last class of a course I took once I had to put a piece of paper in an envelope and I was locked in a humiliating struggle for 30+ seconds trying to get the darn thing. :oops:

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 5:53 pm

Some people trip over their own feet. I trip over the air.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Grimfaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 6:00 pm

Some people go through the doorway... I always attempt to go through the wall. got up to go to lunch with a buddy yesterday... ran into the doorway on the way out of my office... him:"Did you just run into the wall?" me: "Yep".... that's a common occurence in the world of the Grim.

If I was only clumsy... it would be an improvement. :)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 6:06 pm

I'm very clumsy. I'm walking into chairs, tables, doors, walls and people. The horn-rimmed glasses don't help my reputation, either. Oh, well...s**t happens.

Avenger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2008, 6:31 pm

I'm awfully clumsy at sports, but great at flying jets. I suppose there are different kinds of dexterity.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2008, 7:49 pm

Thanks for telling me about DDR, I might have to try that. :lol:

herakh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2008, 9:09 pm

you know what is really annoying about being clumsy? it is when you get your feet stuck against the foot of a chair and dragged it with you for a few inches. Of course, this happens to me when im in a classroom full of people and i just had to go to the toilet.

yeah, im really really bad at sports, especially when sports that have teams.. dunno how many times i drop the ball literally