Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Jan 2008, 9:32 pm

I'm infamously clumsy. For some reason I often forget that I have a head and I bump it on things like my car, a random bookshelf, the fridge, etc. I also bump my hips into things often.

For some reason my brain thinks that I am a 5 foot tall size 0 nymph and I'm actually a 5 foot 2 inch 160 pound cow who is as far from nimble as one gets. I trip over air pockets. I fall down the stairs. I fall up the stairs. Especially with my glasses on because I'm totally incapable of depth perception with them on.

I run into walls, doors, cabinets, vanities, cupboards, tv stands, sofas, chairs. I think that I'm some kind of demented magnet.

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2008, 10:47 pm

I put my self in to MMA. Kenpo, kick boxing,

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 12:22 am

nutbag wrote:
Some people trip over their own feet. I trip over the air.

:lol: :lol:

I don't do that... the ground rises and trips me.
Also, inanimate objects attack me all the time.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 10:51 am

I don't have cluminess like you guys do. In fact I've been complemented on my balence in horseback riding.
I have High Functioning Autism, so is that a difference then Aspergers? I get so confused, as I was severely Autistic when I was younger, and now people say I have Asperger! Sure I have a good vocab, but I don't have a monotone and I'm not clumsy, so what do I have?

Sifr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2008, 12:16 pm

DDR? No thanks.

I am very clumsy. I'm afraid if I play any kind of sports I'd trip and fall. I open doors and bump into them as I'm walking. I very much dislike doors that you have to push because then there's a line behind me.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 5:55 pm

I can confirm that it doesn't get any better as you get older.

I'm constantly being attacked by doorknobs, benchtops, door frames, chairs, table-edges etc..

It translates a little to driving where I will hit the curb occasionally and even to gaming where I sometimes have difficulty in things like doom, lego star wars etc...

I think it's a spacial awareness thing more than clumsiness - though I could be wrong.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

19 Jan 2008, 7:14 pm

I often find that people consistantly walk into me. I am forever accusing people of being vision impaired!
Just maybe, it is actually I who is walking into the other person. I mean, with everything else I walk into, It wouldn't come as a surprise if this were the truth.
I am often walking into things like the corner of benches, tables, backs of chairs etc. Sometimes, I even appear to trip over "imaginary" objects. :roll: Sports, don't even ask. I attempt to throw a ball, it goes in a sideways direction instead of straight ahead :lol:

In other words...yes I am clumsy.

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2008, 7:31 pm

gbollard wrote:
I can confirm that it doesn't get any better as you get older.

I'm constantly being attacked by doorknobs, benchtops, door frames, chairs, table-edges etc..

It translates a little to driving where I will hit the curb occasionally and even to gaming where I sometimes have difficulty in things like doom, lego star wars etc...

I think it's a spacial awareness thing more than clumsiness - though I could be wrong.

I'm pretty clumsy, but thank goodness it doesn't affect my gaming. :P

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 7:43 pm

ebec11 wrote:
I don't have cluminess like you guys do. In fact I've been complemented on my balence in horseback riding.
I have High Functioning Autism, so is that a difference then Aspergers? I get so confused, as I was severely Autistic when I was younger, and now people say I have Asperger! Sure I have a good vocab, but I don't have a monotone and I'm not clumsy, so what do I have?

I can ride horseback well also, and my balance is rather good. I am also not clumsy, but I have misjudged some things people here say shows you are clumsy. As for the monotone voice, that is apparently an inconsistent application of intonation for emotion, or emphasis.

Originally, AS was supposed to be diagnosed by 3, even if retroactively. Today, it seems many throw that out. Nobody can really know what AS is, and thus can't know the difference between it and HFA, because it seems everyonw wants to misinterpret the criteria or even blatently change it. Just look at gillberg vs. DSM.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... gle+Search

clumsiness, for example, is only in GILLBERGS criteria!

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:48 pm

ebec11 wrote:

I believe I read somewhere that while AS is characterized by clumsiness, people with autism are frequently well coordinated and agile. Don't quote me on it though.

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2008, 9:01 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

I can ride horseback well also, and my balance is rather good. I am also not clumsy, but I have misjudged some things people here say shows you are clumsy. As for the monotone voice, that is apparently an inconsistent application of intonation for emotion, or emphasis.

Originally, AS was supposed to be diagnosed by 3, even if retroactively. Today, it seems many throw that out. Nobody can really know what AS is, and thus can't know the difference between it and HFA, because it seems everyonw wants to misinterpret the criteria or even blatently change it. Just look at gillberg vs. DSM.

Err, wrong. Clumsiness is most definitely in the criteria for AS; don't judge things by just one source... (Or Google search.)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 4:34 am

Quote:
ebec11 wrote:

Clumsiness and lack of balance aren't the same thing.

I was one of very few people back in my sailing days, who could climb a mast and perch near the top to untie a problem rope yet I still bump into things and used to drop things a lot.

Quote:
2ukenkerl said:

The early diagnosis was due to the main observable difference being the age at which language skills are acquired. My youngest son just got a HFA diagnosis, but acts pretty much Aspie. If anything, a bit more aspie than his AS diagnosed brother. The HFA has good ball skills while his brother (3 years older) isn't quite as good - though he's improving.

Similarly, the language skills in my youngest are improving.

It's my belief that if he was diagnosed at an older age, he'd have been given aspergers.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 7:57 am

AOwpr wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:
ebec11 wrote:

Err, wrong. Clumsiness is most definitely in the criteria for AS; don't judge things by just one source... (Or Google search.)

OK, so NOW you are saying that there is a CONSPIRACY and that it is basically not even on the entire internet!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

It is a little known fact that most normal stuff someone links to is listed in google as long as it isn't protected and some page in the group is indexed in google. That page ITSELF may have been indexed in the same way.

So everyone INTENTIONALLY changed the DSM!?!?!?

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense.

BTW The DSM apparently qualifies EVERY reference to clumsy, such as clumsy body language, social gestures, or social approach. Clumsy in that case doesn't even really mean CLUMSY, but means exagerated or improper.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 8:17 am

gbollard wrote:

Quote:
2ukenkerl said:

The early diagnosis was due to the main observable difference being the age at which language skills are acquired. My youngest son just got a HFA diagnosis, but acts pretty much Aspie. If anything, a bit more aspie than his AS diagnosed brother. The HFA has good ball skills while his brother (3 years older) isn't quite as good - though he's improving.

Similarly, the language skills in my youngest are improving.

It's my belief that if he was diagnosed at an older age, he'd have been given aspergers.

Everything you said may well be true BUT, as I said, your HFA kid shouldn't have been judged based on CURRENT skills, according to the DSM.

BTW The deal with sports, as I recall, has more to do with AS than HFA. So AS people are more likely to have such problems. I probably STILL don't have the ball skills a 5 year old should have. :cry: But that has little to do with real mental ability. Ironically, one of my stims makes it look like I probably have GREAT ball skills. If only that translated to balls and with another person. :cry:

BTW I don't think anyone here said that HFA people couldn't be as smart as AS people, etc... If einstein was diagnosed, he would probably be HFA. I think the floor on HFA is a bit lower, but there is still no ceiling.

FlightlessReverie
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jan 2008, 9:59 am

I have utterly bad balance resulted from poor gross motor function. I fall down heck a lot, even on flat planes. I fell down so much that I even heard that if I am falling down just to get attention (Geez, became an attention whore for having poor motor function. I used to imagine someone who said that dying like scenes from Happy Tree Friends every day until I heard 'sincere' apology from him, even though I never forgived him really) I instantly bump into people and other random still objects, and I can't help it. Lastly, I sucked at gym classes. (Self-mocking laugh)

whitedragon
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2008, 9:24 am

gbollard wrote:
Quote:
ebec11 wrote:

Clumsiness and lack of balance aren't the same thing.

I was one of very few people back in my sailing days, who could climb a mast and perch near the top to untie a problem rope yet I still bump into things and used to drop things a lot.

This explains one of my mysteries somewhat; I often befriend with innanimate objects along my path, but I'm a pretty good gymnast.

Last edited by whitedragon on 22 Jan 2008, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.