Page 4 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2008, 8:25 pm

yeah i remember a bunch of stuff from when i was young. i remember a nightmare i had before i started walking, when i busted my lip in kindergarten, when i busted my lip on the frozen lake at my grandmothers, i remember burning myself by sticking my finger in a candle (we actually still have that candle, i just thought it looked cool and wanted to touch it), i remember burning my finger when i touched the lawnmower engine, i was a painfully curious kid. i also have countless memories of playing with Lego at various places.

AOwpr
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2008, 8:59 pm

Yeah, Lego's rocked. :) I remember nightmares from before I was two years old... oddly enough, there were aliens and kidnappers in them: I have no idea how I knew about that stuff back then. :P

chella
Raven
Raven

20 Jan 2008, 1:16 am

I have lots of weird random memories starting from when I was around 2.

Jayutimestwo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2008, 1:33 am

yep. we moved when i was 2 and i have a few memories from the old house. I couldn't put them in chronological order though.

I didn't realise this was unusual

AliceinOz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2008, 6:36 am

The memories I have are video-like but I have trouble attaching ages to events, even events from a few years ago. I don't seem to be able to connect my visual memories with physical development. So many things are like this for me, my life is like jigsaw pieces - jumbled, disorganised, supposedly making up an entire picture - but you can still see the lines and joins, and it still comes apart if not steadily supported.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 9:59 am

same here, the only way i can remember how old i was would be to see what my surroundings were and figure it out from there. like that nightmare, i knew i wasn't walking so i must've been really young, or when i busted my lip at school, i knew it was in the first two years that i got there, and i seem to remember going back to the room where i was for senior kindergarten. i often just get random memories that pop up from really obscure times, or i'll remember the weirdest things ("oh right, and she had a stocking on the mantelplace that had a rip in it" would be something i'd say)

Selo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2008, 11:16 am

It's totally normal to remember things that far back, with NTs and Aspies alike. I remember tons of things that happened to me before I was three. My earliest memory is probably from when I was less than a year old.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:22 am

hiunikel wrote:
i think there is a collective memory characterize the autistic community
that many of us are able to remember things happened at the early age , a phase in which the brain is growing ,.. i think its souds miraculous

And what is an average age of first memories from our life? Did someone read something about this? I always used to think it's an obvious thing to everybody to have their earliest memories coming from about the age of 3.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 11:35 am

Only you know and I know topic

I remember when I was two years old and I feel asleep in a clothes basket I had crawled into. My mother took a oicture of it. :)

I remember distinctly following the garbage collectors in their truck at age three-and-a-half and ending up near some train tracks, stuck in the mud. It was the middle of May, in Scarborough, Ontario, 1958. My mother, who was pregnant with my sister, could not climb over the fence to get into the field where I was. I remember seeing her her standing at the fence, at a distance from me, arms resting on the wooden top of the three foot high fence, and the body of the fence was large, square, and wired. It was easy to climb and that is how I got over it there in the first place. I remember my mother was standing beside her neighbour who was not pregnant and who jumped over the fence, and the next thing I knew I was being pulled out of the mud. My shoes were lost in it, and probably the socks, too.

There was no news story about it, but I was missing for two hours. Police were not called, but the neighbours helped look for me. I am surprised I was found, as I was about half a kilometer from home. We did not know the neighbours where I was eventually located. Perhaps there was a hue and cry and someone shouted about a kid being in the field behind a subdivision. This I do not know, and nor will I ever find out. Nowadays, it would have been a media story because of my age, with even possibly an Amber Alert. Nothing like that was done in those days. I suppose I was lucky some pervert did not abduct me, a kid all alone in a deserted field, or killed by the train if I had wandered onto the tracks. 8O 8O

I have learned that luck plays a substantial part in survival :!:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 12:25 pm

Only AS OR only ASD?
ASD: I can remember back a lot of things to when I was about 12 months old.

Childhood amnesia didn't catch me unlike most of the population.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 12:28 pm

I can't remember much before 7-8 years old my memory fades going back right up till last week. My understanding of my early childhood is through what other people have said. I tend to remember things in a random fashion. I don't recall on demand. I say 'things' because I'm more likely to remember a thing or a fact that than an event. If I remember an event it can be difficult to put in in time.

Corona
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2008, 12:43 pm

i can remember as far back to the days just before I was potty trained. before that...nothing.

not sure if it is even possible for people to even remember much further back then that... those that claim they do probably don't, or have been altered so much that they aren't too reliable.

a phenomenon known as infantile amnesia, believed to be caused by the fact that before ~2-3 yrs of age the brain isn't developed enough to hold long term memories. they remain inefficient at doing so up until at least 4 or 5 i think. you can read more about that in here: http://books.google.com/books?id=G3sso7 ... #PPA279,M1

as for me, I've always remembered knowing how to walk, how to read; in particular i was interested in map making back in my infant days, and this hobby stayed with me for several years, well into my elementary school years.

hiunikel

20 Jan 2008, 1:32 pm

Irulan wrote:
hiunikel wrote:
i think there is a collective memory characterize the autistic community
that many of us are able to remember things happened at the early age , a phase in which the brain is growing ,.. i think its souds miraculous

And what is an average age of first memories from our life? Did someone read something about this? I always used to think it's an obvious thing to everybody to have their earliest memories coming from about the age of 3.

i think that the obvious memories in early age i got mostly about big parties or big event ( 1st day school , birth of a child , marriage ,..etc) when anyone see somthing for the first time the brain store it and the brain can forget the similar details repeated , so thats how the memories are but that's cannot be applicable in all cases

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 1:49 pm

Corona wrote:
i can remember as far back to the days just before I was potty trained. before that...nothing.

not sure if it is even possible for people to even remember much further back then that... those that claim they do probably don't, or have been altered so much that they aren't too reliable.

a phenomenon known as infantile amnesia, believed to be caused by the fact that before ~2-3 yrs of age the brain isn't developed enough to hold long term memories. they remain inefficient at doing so up until at least 4 or 5 i think. you can read more about that in here: http://books.google.com/books?id=G3sso7 ... #PPA279,M1

as for me, I've always remembered knowing how to walk, how to read; in particular i was interested in map making back in my infant days, and this hobby stayed with me for several years, well into my elementary school years.

Well, my ability seemed to grow MUCH faster than average until about 7 years. Apparently, that is an autistic trait. So you can forget about any average ages at which things start. I remember having a harder time walking, and I remember crawling when I was pretty small. I remember not talking, and for quite a while, I never vocalized things internally. I just SPOKE! In fact, when I learned to read, and a couple years after that, I didn't vocalize internally. Of course, I STILL remember studying the dictionary, etc... HECK, I found out what a zygote was because it was the last word in the dictionary. I just wish there was a way to figure out everything I know, etc... I recently went through some lists of hindi words I didn't think I knew yet. I knew almost every one, and did a pretty good job reading them in devanagari!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 3:50 pm

Quote:
Selo said:
It's totally normal to remember things that far back, with NTs and Aspies alike. I remember tons of things that happened to me before I was three. My earliest memory is probably from when I was less than a year old.

No it isn't.

I used to think it was normal but could never understand why people couldn't remember things that far back and in that degree of detail. My diagnosis is fairly recent and yes, Long term memory is definitely listed as an aspie thing.

It was relief to know that there was a reason why I could remember and other cannot.

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jan 2008, 4:20 pm

I remember stuff from before I was three easily.
I argue with my dad a lot in a friendly way, about things like where a creche was. He'll say 'that building was always a bookshop' and I'll say it used to be a creche. When we investigate, I am always right, and it was from when I was very young.