Do Aspies Like Rooting For the Underdog

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

use_your_words
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2008, 9:34 pm

I nearly always root for the underdog, unless, of course, I seriously disapprove of them. Even in that case I usually find myself defending the underdog. For some reason, my first instinct is to side with the minority.

Khalaris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jan 2008, 11:08 am

I second that.

For some reason, when I'm with people I don't know I always go for the outsider/underdog.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Jan 2008, 4:54 pm

I have always "rooted" for the underdog.
In do this in movies, real life, even when chosing which brand of food to buy!

I also did this when I chose which rabbit to buy from the pet store last year. There was a litter of 5 rabbits. They were all pure white except for one which was white with brown ears. Guess what one I chose???...thats right, the one with the brown ears!
I guess since I have been an underdog all of my life, I can relate to them more. I have no idea how I relate to types of food though...that is just a little weird, [even for me!] :lol:

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 5:16 pm

Uhm
whats an underdog????
xx

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 9:58 pm

I root for the underdog that eventually succeeds...;)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 10:39 pm

I seem to jump onto the side that's not popular, for whatever reason.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2008, 7:02 am

TLPG wrote:
This is actually linked in a way to the justice issue on the thread with that in the title.

As a general concept - us Aspies have it hard. So we are underdogs in our own way, having to fight adversity to get what we want and/or need.

So we have empathy (yes we DO have it!) with those in a similar position. Of course - if the cause is BS that's another matter, but mostly the bad person is the other party - and usually it's not even a person. It's a company, or worse still the government.

For example (and Australian members will be familiar with this) the greatest underdog of recent times had to be the late Bernie Banton. He fought a big company (James Hardie) for compensation for the asbestos related disease he was afflicted with (and he wasn't the only one) and he won. And just to make sure, the government that was basically against him got thrown out of office on November 24. He died about 48 hours later - a hero.

So the short answer is yes - we do support the underdog. Because we are underdogs ourselves.

You realise Bernie Banton was dying of terminal disease caused through asbestos and wasn't aspie? Right.
You realise too corporate culture or structure or has nothing to do with Asperger's? OK

I do agree with you I think? Aspies identify with the underdog or winning through adversity.
Aussies too for similar reasons.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 3:14 pm

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Do you like rooting for the underdog in movies or in real-life situations? Do you think Aspies do this more than NTs?

ALWAYS :D I'm an underdog myself, so I like to support my kind

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jan 2008, 5:10 pm

Well, politically I do because having travelled, having been to a good university and not living in a shanty town makes me a minority - and as such I end up voting candidates that are very unlikely to win; candidates that are here demonized as right-wing while a coke and a hot dog in exchange for a vote is all the welfare the popular and self-proclaimed left-wing candidates truly ever offer.

Online I do, because online bullying is a very pathetic thing that prevents people from expressing their opinon in favour of cliques of those in power trips.

Last edited by Whisperer on 21 Jan 2008, 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boutique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2008, 5:15 pm

Whisperer wrote:
Online I do, because online bullying is a very pathetic thing that prevents people from expressing their opinon in favour of cliques of usually worthless people in power trips.

I like you.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 5:44 pm

Rootin' Tootin' topic

Yes, I root for the person who despite all odds, lives by principles, goes against the grain, believes in what one does, doesn't give up and realizes the greater good for everone, no matter how small! 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2008, 6:32 pm

I usually do.
In Wile E. Coyote, the roadrunner always won. I always routed for the coyote.
Same with Tom and Jerry or any slapstick cartoon.