I'm Uncoordinated, Yet I Can Still . . .

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 11:58 pm

I'm uncoordinated, yet I can still play handbells 4 in hand (2 bells per each hand) in music while sight reading a new position (different bells from those I played last) and new music, all at 140 beats per minute.

Huh. :?

I just did that tonight. I hyperfocused into it and while I still managed to keep rocking back and forth on my feet, I also managed to stay in time the entire time and can count on one hand the number of notes I missed (mostly due to unexpected accidentals and awkward page turns).

Yet, I'm one of the most uncoordinated people out there. I can't play a single sport, not even for fun, because as soon as people realize that I wasn't joking when I said that I was horrible, they really no longer want me to be on their team.

Does anyone else have incongruities in their overall coordination abilities/lack thereof?

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

07 Feb 2008, 2:43 am

I am VERY uncoordinated when it comes to sport and nearly everything else...but I can play the drums.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 2:47 am

I am accident prone, awkward, clumsy, have sprained my ankles a million times, fallen for no reason, I have a horrific sense of personal space and balance, and horrific handwriting. Yet somehow I am able to paint the most precise lines on my artwork and decor and can also maintain excellent balance in Yoga poses. Go figure.

My 9 y/o AS DD has horrible handwriting, is very clumsy and awkward like me, yet she draws incredible pictures and comics and has picked up the fingering on the viola to catch up to the kids in the grade above her in her music class.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 3:24 am

I'm clumsy, awkward, unbalanced, uncoordinated, constantly walking into walls and doorways, have horrible handwriting, and have been known to fall out of chairs :)

Yet I still managed to play high school sports fairly successfully. If I had stuck with it more I could have gotten a varsity letter.

I can also type really fast. No good at musical instruments, though.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 3:36 am

I'm very uncoordinated. I can't play any musical instruments, type, dance, roller-skate etc... But, I can ride an atv or motorcycle with the best. :)

TurtleJen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2008, 3:37 am

I think my hand-eye coordination is pretty good, but I can't do many sports. I am pretty good at shooting hoops and can sometimes hit the tennis ball. But if it involves using my whole body/feet, - like skateboarding or roller skating - I am doomed to fail/fall down. ^^;

But if it involves using my hands, then I am usually good at it. I can draw, sew, and crochet well. I don't know if video games count.. My handwriting is probably crap, because I am used to typing on the computer.

AND I can't play piano, unless I can only use one hand... Both of my hands will try to do the exact same thing (usually mirrored to the other). And the same thing happens with the guitar. *Wants to play an instrument really bad*
I did find something a while back called a Lap Harp, I wonder if it would be easier for me to play?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 6:18 am

lastcrazyhorn,

WOW, you didn't know that? It seems like that is one thing that really distinguishes AS. And YEP, I have the SAME problem as you. You should see one stim I have. You would think I have GREAT reflexes and can catch things GREAT, but I CAN'T!

In some areas I seem like the smartest person you will ever meet, but not in others.

As for what you were talking about? I do the same kind of thing every day. Sometimes I think about doing something with one hand, and it is almost like the other hand belongs to another person, and does something totally different to help me out.

Here is an example... My right hand throws my left hand the carkeys. My left catches them, locks the car, and puts them in my pocket, while my right hand checks my pocket for a certain card, and my left checks for money, and all this while I am walking toward the office.

Anyway, did you notice where the left hand catches the keys? I CAN'T catch, but I never seem to drop those keys, even while I am moving, turning around, etc...

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 7:12 am

Yes.
My gross motor skills are atrocious. My fine motor skills are bad. Put me in front of a musical instrument, though, and all of my problems disappear.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 7:20 am

My hand-eye coordination is fine; I can run down the stairs in pitch black after waking up and with a glass of water in hand without trouble (I've noticed a few younglings at the Asperger's/autism clinic have terrible trouble with navigating the stairwell there). I can climb things without difficulty (within reason).

I'm not that good with picking things up, especially delicate things; I don't know how much pressure I'm applying. I tend to drop or break things in my hands.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 8:44 am

Quote:
I'm uncoordinated, yet I can still play handbells 4 in hand (2 bells per each hand) in music while sight reading a new position (different bells from those I played last) and new music, all at 140 beats per minute.

Hand-eye coordination is perfectly fine. I can drive practically in my sleep (and I have had to drive in my sleep before), and many other things... okay, I can't ring bells 4 in hand, but that's a product of being put in the bass table (try ringing a G2 or a C3 and you'll understand)

I acquired most of my coordination at a very young age. Video games were in fact actually good for something. Come to think it, wasn't there a branch of the military that stopped administering coordination tests because almost everyone in the group was coordinated enough from this generation playing video games?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Feb 2008, 11:05 am

i remember when i was a teen i played ALOT of basketball. i was extremely good at it, and really had no problems with coordination unless i was playing in a game with others. then my coordination went down hill fast, but if i was playing alone i was great at it :)

Corvillus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2008, 11:07 am

Hand - eye coordination and fine motor skills are good from heavy video game playing, computer use, and tinkering with the innards of hardware.

Overall motor skills and coordination though, not so much, I can't play sports at all, am terrible at anything that requires balance (with the exception of cycling).

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Feb 2008, 11:53 am

I'm pretty clumsy overall. I bump into walls, corners, tables, chairs, other people, inanimate objects, etc. I trip over invisible air pockets and cracks in the sidewalk. I have pretty good fine motor coordination, however. I type pretty quickly and have learned to text like a mad woman.

I sew, crochet, do crafty art faggy things with exceptional skill. Not much of a drawer unless I copy it. I can't make the pictures in my head come out on paper. They come out rather well in fabric, though.

I have a little coordination with soccer. Too many years of kicking a football around with my son, I guess. I can't run up on the ball and kick, but play goalie rather well and can stop a ball just looking at it (or so my son believes, please don't dispell the myth, I have so few super powers).

I tend to be pretty left handed except when writing, so I find that this is often my most coordinated side. Right side is crap. Feels pretty useless most of the time. I have noticed that I've started holding my needles in my right hand when sewing, but I think that this has more to do with convenience in positioning rather than dominance of side.

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2008, 1:18 pm

I am terrible at sports or dances that involve steps. I cannot swim because I cannot use my hands and feet at the same time. But I can JUGGLE!! !

dupertuis
Raven
Raven

09 Feb 2008, 9:00 am

I fade in and out all the time. I've found that coordination comes and goes with my awareness of my surroundings.

I can stand on one leg as long as I am in touch with the fact that I am standing on one leg.

dp

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2008, 10:24 am

I am not at all athletic, but I have good writing and am a relatively fast typist, especially on the Internet. I don't have a lot of talent for sports, but I do have a lot of endurance.