Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 3:13 pm

Glad to see that there are others who do it too :D
I was picked on at school for talking to myself (I mumble too when I do this), but I find it relaxes me too and makes me happy because I know that I am being listened to (even if it is me who is doing the talking and listening!)

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2008, 3:23 pm

I talk my thoughts out loud. I don't see a difference between thinking a conversation in your head or thinking it outside of your head. Other people do though so I don't do it when I'm around other people. But then again, I don't usually have conversations going on in my head when I'm around other people. I'm too busy trying to figure out what I am going to say next.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 3:46 pm

Nico wrote:
Sometimes when I'm alone I suddenly start talking to myself and I voice the thoughts in my head out loud. Sometimes I don't realise I'm doing this until just before I stop.

Secondly, when I'm in a public place (classrooms and shops mostly) I find that I go blank and I totally forget what is going on around me. Again I don't realise I have gone blank until I 'wake up' from it.

Do these kind of things happen to any of you?

I talk to myself all the time, in fact talking aloud as typing now! but try mot to do around others..

Second point, my mind can wander, if the subject bores me..

But another thought my older son, started blanking out quite a bit, just switching off and got quite bad as could do it when crossing the road. We found out eventually that in fact they were adsent seizures, know as Petit Mal Epilepsy, no biggie controlled easily with medication and usually affects children and usually grow out of it in their teens, my son did.

Last edited by asplanet on 06 Feb 2008, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 4:09 pm

I talk to myself a lot. A significant amount of it seems to be pallalia, repeating certain phrases I remember over and over.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 5:44 pm

Nico wrote:
Sometimes when I'm alone I suddenly start talking to myself and I voice the thoughts in my head out loud. Sometimes I don't realise I'm doing this until just before I stop.

Secondly, when I'm in a public place (classrooms and shops mostly) I find that I go blank and I totally forget what is going on around me. Again I don't realise I have gone blank until I 'wake up' from it.

Do these kind of things happen to any of you?

From wot u writen down yes it does happen 2 me both parts do.

Mark198423
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2008, 6:25 pm

cataspie wrote:
If i stay quiet for to long i stay that way and it becomes harder to talk.Its very hard to explain but i have had times when i cant speak my problem at the moment is speaking to much.

I know what you mean. If I'm alone and don't speak for a long time and then with someone who tries to start conversation it's etremely difficult to begin with.

Zamone
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2008, 6:54 pm

Yeah, sometimes I'll do that, but only when I'm alone. And I'll be sort of half-aware I'm doing it, so sometimes that makes me stop.

Pez201
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Feb 2008, 10:46 pm

Sometimes if I'm buying groceries, the things going on around me (the music over the PA system, the ringing cash registers, people moving about, kids screaming) means that I tend to zone out, and I have to make a real effort to focus on keeping my place in the line.

And sometimes I talk to myself out loud when no one's around, actually I like it, because I usually agree with myself. :D

cataspie
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2008, 4:34 am

I sometimes get really trance like feelings and zone out a bit,i have wondered if it is a link with serotonin.

TurtleJen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Feb 2008, 5:08 am

I talk to myself all the time, it helps me figure out how to handle something. My English teacher always talked to himself, in class and walking down the halls. You could hear just about every word he said. :lol: He would say that my classmates were making him go crazy.

I do zone out quite a bit.. Sometimes I can see that I have and have to tell myself in my mind, 'wake up, Jen.' It is almost like shutting down.

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 5:20 am

I lipsynch and make all sorts of gestures. Sometimes I mumble a key word or laugh. Most of this is restrained when in public but I get vague fears when I suddenly find myself too concentrated on one of these internal conversations/monologues in public.

I day dream, zone out and (sometimes) randomly lose the feel that perceived reality is real while I'm still interacting with it - I'm not sure about the extent to which I'm keeping track of these symptoms.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 7:28 am

Nico wrote:
I find that I go blank and I totally forget what is going on around me. Again I don't realise I have gone blank until I 'wake up' from it.

Like a partial system shutdown? I get that way too often.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2008, 9:30 pm

I do both of those things all the time!
I only realize I'm mumbling, or working something out aloud or whatnot, when someone else walks by and I suddenly get very self-conscious and ask myself why I have to do it. But five minutes later, I am at it again.
As for "spacing out," I do this all the time, and sometimes (especially when I'm tired) it takes all of my strength to force myself not to.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:46 pm

Yes and yes.

I thought talking to yourself was "normal" though. Several people in my family have always done this so I am not sure if talking to myself is a learned trait, or some genetic natural tendency. As long as it never happens around other people I don't worry about it too much.

As for the second thing, I have been doing that for as long as I can remember. There have even been times when I have used it as a coping mechanism in uncomfortable situations.

AspieDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 9:54 pm

:lol: Worse.... I write, and I often think about scenes, try out dialog, etc. out loud. I TRY not to do it when anyone else is around, because being DIALOG I do it in "different voices". I toss in accents, odd inflections, etc. To someone who overhears me, they probably think I've gone Sybyl on them... :lol: :lol:

I talk to myself too, I was walking by another area supervisor's office, and there were 3 or 4 others in there, all supervisor's (and like almost everyone I work with, all women). One of them said, "Do you talk to yourself all the time, Dave?" and one of the other's kind of giggled. I stuck my head in, said "Oh yes, all the time. Sometimes though there are arguments and (letting my voice get 'choked up') some VERY hurtful things are said....". I smiled and left them all laughing... muttering 'huh, that'll show THEM" under my breath... :P :lol:

Soon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2008, 10:11 pm

yup it happens to me too