No, I have the dancing skills of a dead armadillo 50%  50%  [ 76 ]
I think I'm good at dancing, but everyone else thinks otherwise 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
What's dancing? 14%  14%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 151

chocolate_kitties
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2008, 5:07 am

When it comes to dancing in clubs, I can do it pretty well (I was complimented a few times, yay! 8)) . It doesn't require repeating anyone's moves but it's all about feeling the rhythm. Those kinds of dancing where you have to repeat certain moves are an entirely different matter, though. Repeating what someone else did is too complicated for me.

ps1r3n
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2008, 5:11 am

I don't know if I CAN dance or not but I do sometimes. It really doesn't matter if I'm enjoying myself.
If someone is dancing and someone else is taking the p*** you've got to ask yourself who is having the better time. I like that quote, I don't know who said it but part of it is 'Dance like no one's watching'. Good advice.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 5:20 am

I think i'm slightly above dead armadillo, maybe dead cow.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:06 am

I'm sure some can. I can't (or, rather, WON'T). Why isn't that opinion an option?

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:20 am

I got top marks at dancing when I was a kid. Quit because I hated it though, the other girls were horrible to me. lol.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:28 am

Definitely can't dance. My Mum took me to a dance class when I was 6 and I screamed the whole time! I tried a disco dancing class when I was older (my only friend danced) but failed MISERABLY and cried! Now I am too crippled by Tourette syndrome to even consider it!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:29 am

It makes me embarassed. Almost feeling as thouggh I am peeing in public. And I move like a stick figure with palsey anyway.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Fatal-Noogie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: California coast, United States of America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Cosmos

08 Feb 2008, 6:34 am

You believe AS inhibits dancing ability? Interesting. To the contrary, I was considering starting a chain postulating that Aspies are better freestyle/improv dancers than NTs.

I have AS, so I feel awkward and clumsy in everyday life, but when I get 2 or 3 drinks in me, I can tear the dance floor up, and draw eyes from all around the room. When I get slightly drunk, I feel compelled/inclined to move around, so I just synchronize my impulsive movements to the beat (if music is playing), and exaggerate and embellish them like crazy. My style involves mostly crip-walking, mixed with wacky spontaneous popping and waving. I don't care much for tutting and robot styles. I like to move as much of myself as possible all at once, because it's more fun.
My dancing never fails to impress somebody. Ppl in bars and pubs have told me that I'm the best dancer they've ever seen. (Drunk ppl are easy to impress.) I relish any opportunity I can get to dance.

The thing is, I almost never practice. My movements are made up on the spot, and I suspect that my "clumsiness" is what allows me to do this.

In response to you question, "Is it possible for aspies to dance?": Abso-f***ing-lutely!

Last edited by Fatal-Noogie on 08 Feb 2008, 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 6:38 am

not according to my wife..;)

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

08 Feb 2008, 7:51 am

You know that sketch from Fry and Laurie where Stephen Fry is dancing terribly? That's me. Also, a few weeks ago, the comedian Will Smith (not the actor) was on The Late Edition and he was trying that Soldier Boy dance. Again, that's me.

I can jump up and down, but that's where my skills end.

Every single one of my female friends did the dance competition every year at high school and I spent weeks of sitting on my own at lunch time. The boon was on the day when they all disappeared to the competition and the class sizes halved for the day. The teachers were all much happier and I get on better with boys. That was nice.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 8:39 am

I was gonna take up breakdancing but i reliase i would make myself look like a fool n im sure ppl wid AS can dance but it wasn't my real interest.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 9:06 am

I'm a Lindy Hopper :)

Not as good as some, better than others. I am still fairly new to the whole thing and only really know some Lindy Hop and Balboa. If it gets above 200 beats a minute I can't keep up. But for most songs I am fine. I have been told I have a great lead. Really only thing missing is range of moves and a bit of flare on my own part. I am well versed in giving the women plenty of shine time.

And it certainly has helped with my touch aversion. I am much more tolerant of hugs or arm/shoulder touches than I used to be... I have lost my flinch :) So even if I never dance again, the effort has been worth it.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 9:35 am

I have seen some very helpful responses here. I now think I know what went wrong.

1. It was my first try
2. The music sucked
3. It was a club, so the drinks were so f****n' expensive no one was even close to drunk

It sounds like some aspies can dance, or at least think they can :wink:

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Feb 2008, 11:06 am

No, I have the dancing skills of a dead armadillo

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:11 am

I can dance... :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7HvLGkvO8g[/youtube]

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 11:18 am

Syd wrote:
I recommend raves. Not the best dancer? God-awful social skills? Weird fashion sense? On top of that, are you completely insane? If you answered yes to these questions, you'll fit right in. :wink:

I also think that raves are the groovy way to go. :flower: