Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 9:13 am

Do you move a lot, when you're stranding somewhere outside? Maybe waiting for a train, a bus, a person to show up?

Because all other people seem to fidget all the time. Without a good reason. They can't stand still when waiting like this, instead they're constantly moving.
All the time they turn around, turn around again, look to see whether the train/person is coming already, look down, look back up, look left or right, turn again, shift their weight from one foot to the other, twirl their hair...

I on the other hand just stand there and wait. I look like a statue, unmoving if not for the eventual glance to the direction which I await something from, but never once moving me feet or arms, never shifting my weight, never doing anything.

Is anyone else like this?

SubbyDonut
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Feb 2008, 9:18 am

I usually only stay still perfectly still when I'm in my usual sitting position. Other than that I might move around a little.

Pez201
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2008, 9:37 am

I do tend to walk around the bus stop while I wait, but sometimes I will just stand there.

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 9:38 am

It depends on how much crack I smoked that morning.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 10:01 am

If I'm just standing around I start doing this hip-pivoting stim that looks like I am looking from side to side.

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2008, 2:17 pm

One of the reasons I started smoking: it gave me a reason to have to move enough to look normal, without random movements. So I looked casual, you know? (Not that I recommend smoking as a coping method!)

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2008, 3:09 pm

LOL yes. I can stand still for a long time.

Daydreaming helps me avoid having to worry about moving or being bored from lack of doing anything.

lastcrazyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 7:59 am

I'm sort of a fidgeter, but I can stand still if I want . . . usually lol. Usually if I'm still though, it means that I've zoned out.

BATMAN: I'll do everything I can to rehabilitate you.
CATWOMAN: Marry me.
BATMAN: Everything except that.

http://lastcrazyhorn.wordpress.com - "Odd One Out: Reality with a refreshing slice of aspie"

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 9:04 am

Depends.

Sometimes, I'm super-alert and hyper-vigilant and I stare everyone down and look over my shoulders and around me constantly (anxious); other times, I pace around and step over cracks on the floor if I'm waiting for some reason or another. I also sway a lot when I stand (pretty much always).

I'm probably always moving if I'm not "stunned" by fight or flight, and I'm ready to pounce on the [usually] non-existent threat.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2008, 9:25 am

i cant stay still at all, it feels like bits of me have dissapeared if i do, its a horrible sensation so i have to be touching something in order to avoid it, in real terms it means leaning on something , shifting my weight etc. i smoke a lot too if im not holding a cigarette im refreshing pages over and over again.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 11:21 am

I used to marvel at how my classmates in grade school could just sit there in one position for thirty minutes while the most I could manage was about thirty seconds.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

13 Feb 2008, 9:29 pm

I have to say that I am always engaging in "unnecessary" movement. Sittng or standing perfectly still is torture. I'm always doing something whether it be swaying from side to side on computer chair, fiddling with my hair or walking up and down the side walk if waiting for bus/train.
The only time I stay still is when sleeping...but still, I always have a very restless sleep...so only stay still for small periods of time.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 7:37 am

Stand still? What's that?
The only time I'm still is when I'm exhausted or listening to music. Music captivates me enough to make all my stimming stop.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:00 am

Mhm, kay, maybe it's not autism-related after all. I thought it was strange, just because at other times I have problems to sit/stand/be still at other times, even when I try hard to stop fidgeting. The total opposite of this stature-stillness I experience half of the time when I'm not hyperactive.