Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:18 pm

Anything that is ON my person and close to the vicinity of my hand or mouth will inevitably wind up in my mouth.

I am a notorious mail-biter.....If I wear a braclet...(rare occasion)....it will go in the mouth....long sleeves....in the mouth....and so on....

I really have gotten much better over the years though.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:28 pm

Quote:
I am a notorious mail-biter...

Your master needs to put you on a leash or you'll get maced by the mail man again. :lol:

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:40 pm

nail......biter :wink:

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 8:47 pm

kattoo13 wrote:
Do any of you do this, or any of your kids with AS? My son likes to chew on his sleeves and his shirt collar. Is this just a way to relieve anxiety? Thanks.
It's similar to nail-biting. Stims are actually common even in NTs. Autists and their higher functioning counterparts just take it to a perverse, new level, and we tend to be more creative.

lotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2008, 10:09 pm

I did that constantly as a kid and my daughter does it occasionally. They grow out of it. :) I had a very stressful childhood, so I do think it has to do with releasing tension. My daughter chews on her hair and I just cut it really short again last night (to the chin almost), but she looks really cute with it short. She's 7 (in case you were curious about age).

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2008, 10:35 pm

richardbenson wrote:
no but sometimes i like chewing on wet rags and sucking the water out of them :jester:

I did that, until about age ten. I'll still do it when given the opportunity.

I never chewed on clothing, except one shirt I had when I was a kid, which I practically chewed the cuffs off of.

I can chew a pack of gum in a few minutes when under stress. It was one of my favorite "school stims." It's fabulous, but socially acceptable (in most settings), unlike most "autistic" stims. :D

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2008, 10:37 pm

The downside to chewing gum? I frequently bite my own tongue while chewing it. I hate that!

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Feb 2008, 10:58 pm

scumsuckingdouchebag wrote:
The downside to chewing gum?

There was recently a study about sugar-free gum with sorbitol. Some people were having digestive problems (chronic diarrhea, rapid weight loss, etc.), so they tried to figure what was causing it. It turns out that people who chew a pack a day for consecutive days often have these symptoms. (It's just because we can't digest that type of sugar; that's how it's low caloric.)

I think it'll be the next weight loss thing. Just you wait. 8)

...[T]here's nothing in the world more unpredictable than people...logic and order don't really exist in human emotions.
--Jan Hartman

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:10 am

That was interesting.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 12:44 am

Aoife wrote:
The downside to chewing gum?

There was recently a study about sugar-free gum with sorbitol. Some people were having digestive problems (chronic diarrhea, rapid weight loss, etc.), so they tried to figure what was causing it. It turns out that people who chew a pack a day for consecutive days often have these symptoms. (It's just because we can't digest that type of sugar; that's how it's low caloric.)

I think it'll be the next weight loss thing. Just you wait. 8)

Oh boy! :)

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 3:13 am

Around 1980 when shirt collars were big, I used to suck on them when concentrating - I'd completely forgotten about that! (Man, I must have been a far bigger geek than I realised.) I also used to bite my nails and chew on my moustache, both of which I've stopped. I do, however, still chew on pens and pencils - I seem to remember I even chewed on my ruler as a kid.

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 3:21 am

Does anyone bite the skin around their fingers or rip their nails off so much that they have a permanent callous around the nail that causes some discomfort and a relatively tight sensation?

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 5:05 am

Does anyone bite the skin around their fingers or rip their nails off so much that they have a permanent callous around the nail that causes some discomfort and a relatively tight sensation?

OUCH! Hmm must keep an eye on Damo for that. He was biting that bit in between thumb and finger earlier. That is the one stim/trait I really dislike, the biting :x

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2008, 5:43 am

richardbenson wrote:
no but sometimes i like chewing on wet rags and sucking the water out of them :jester:

What he does.

And I also sucked/chewed on portions of my shirts, usually the sleeves; through high school mainly, and also primary school.

I don't do it any more.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Feb 2008, 6:19 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I am a notorious mail-biter

:lol:

Poppylungstuffing .... I am picturing you chasing the mail-man down the road!

Helen

Mollymum
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Feb 2008, 1:14 pm

My 5 yo son has moved on from nail biting to chewing his clothes. He seems to be related to anxiety for him.