Page 3 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

nominalist
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Feb 2008, 1:47 pm

herakh wrote:
im confused, does adult aspies means that they have been always an aspies since childhood but never got diagnosed or that they live a normal childhood but start developing AS when they turn into adult?

As far as I know, no one can develop Asperger's autism as an adult. I was grossly misdiagnosed as a child in the early and middle 1960s, and the Asperger's category had not been constructed yet. However, based on current DSM-IV-TR criteria, I was still an aspie.

Institute for Dialectical metaRealism: http://dmr.institute

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:17 pm

gwynfryn wrote:
Sophist wrote:
Okay, I'm putting together an autism questionnaire focusing specifically on adults, since there are no professional diagnostic questionnaires out there in that respect.
I am calling it The Autism Scale for Expressive Adults or the TASEA (pronounced "tassy").

I was wondering if some of the members of WP might be interested in helping me test it out. It's not in an electronic format, just in Word, and I will be self-scoring it so it may take me a little while to get back with you with your scores. If you're interested, please PM me and I can either paste it into the return PM or I can send it to you as an email attachment; whichever you're most comfortable with.

Thanks! :D

PS- After doing the questionnaire, if you want to give feedback or suggestions, you're welcome to do so. Also, I will soon be putting out a more simplified version to match this one in case some auties find this version too difficult to fill out, since it does use a 9-point scale on most questions.

It's already been done (or tried) by Leif and Inger, and it's ultimately futile; they just amend the scores to suit those they want to recruit!

A better, and far more objective test of your "autism", is based on the originator (long dead) of a theory of personality, which you can try here (and elsewhere on this site, if you care to search for it):

http://chandlermacleod.com/cmbestfit/content/btw.cfm

If you are afraid to find what you really are, don't try this test...or else make excuses about why you couldn't complete it!

This describes me perfectly!

Quote:
'NAE' style

NAE style people have many of the attributes of successful research scientists, capable of producing original ideas, committed to their projects and creative in their thinking. Essentially they are "experts" who do not relate readily and easily to others and they strive to achieve their personal goals, using their own capabilities rather than utilising team synergy. They thoroughly enjoy working on their creative projects and, at times, can become so immersed in the process that the actual goal becomes clouded.

They will strive for idealistic perfection and, when another person (in authority) seeks to impose pragmatic limitations on them, they do not willingly or easily accept the constraints. They possess a degree of self-management that helps to damp down automatic reactions to pressure, so they don't immediately reject the suggestion, especially if it is put in a rational and factual manner. However, it will be apparent that they do not invite critical contributions, and, in fact, open and easy communication with others is difficult. They are by no means rigid in their own thinking and, where they have free rein, they can readily visualise new approaches. It is only when they feel these changes are being externally imposed that stubborn, passive resistance will result.

It will be apparent from the above comment that their preferred work situation is one where they have a completely unambiguous project in front of them, where their freedom and/or constraints have been clearly identified, where methods have been agreed upon, and they now feel free to go on ahead in search of their results. They don't "need" other people around them for social contact or support and will, in fact, have difficulty in delegating activities. Ideally, therefore, they should have the opportunity to achieve their goals utilising personal resources rather than having to control or co-ordinate the activities of others.

Their particular style sees them self-contained, happy to work in isolation, not rejecting social contact out of hand but, "putting up with it" rather than enjoying it. They will communicate with competent people who know what they are doing, but explaining matters to the uninitiated is a chore. They will generally fulfil social obligations, but out of a sense of duty, rather than expected pleasure. It is typical that, having successfully completed their project, they would prefer to generate an academic submission or a detailed documentation of the results than communicate their findings in face-to-face situations and they would particularly dislike having to be the public presenter.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 4:24 pm

'MP' style
These people have an abundance of sociability and energy, generally coupled with a competitive outlook, apparent self-confidence, impatience to make things happen and, unless there is a very sound level of self management, they can become argumentative when challenged, vigorously defending their point of view and not always operating on a purely factual basis. They will communicate directly and openly with everyone around them, freely expressing their opinions, whether others want to hear them or not. They want to be the centre of activity, preferably in a leadership position and one that carries with it some authority and prestige.

They will actively seek an outlet for their energies and they will show some intolerance of people who compete with them, especially those who criticise. Their rebuttal will generally be fairly loud and they argue rather than debate. Pressure builds considerably for them where they are not achieving, for it is very important for them to be able to show competence and to perform so that other people will recognise and praise them.

They like to be the focal point of the work group, especially where they have the authority to make things happen. They will display energy and enthusiasm in organising other people, directing the traffic as it were and, when things are going well, they will impact on their subordinate team as enthusiastic, managing the way and giving due recognition and praise to the people who contribute to their success. Their work role should give them an opportunity for both physical and mental activity. Being required to sit in isolation behind a desk handling an administrative workload would not be at all attractive to them.

Because of the abundance of social energy present, coupled with high achievement drive, they can be a very effective member of an enthusiastic work group. Similarly, in team sports they will also be regarded as a valuable member because of their real commitment to winning. Their communication with others in the work group will be highly effective and they are likely to take on a leadership role, even if it is not officially ascribed to them. When things are not going well, however, some of the bonhomie disappears and a lack of integration and a lessening of self-management will see them become more argumentative and aggressive in dealing with people they see as contributing to their difficulties. Very demanding people, they do not tolerate low achievement from others or themselves.

Yep that sounds pretty close to what I am like :)

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2008, 6:41 pm

Quote:
'NDA' style

When a person is somewhat shy, socially reserved, cautious in decision making and generally lacking in social confidence, then even the strongest levels of self-management will have difficulty producing integrated behaviour which is successful in the work place. There are built-in tendencies to have very little faith in oneself and, because of the highly imaginative content in their make up, they are prone to worry how other people are seeing them, reading far more into casual remarks than was probably intended by the person concerned. This 'touchiness' makes them quite vulnerable and, even though they will try to erect a protective barrier of strong self-control, the underlying doubts and apprehensions will still be present. Nevertheless, they will strive to do their work in a very conscientious manner.

There are many things that create pressure for them, not the least of which is being made the centre of public attention. They will do their best to avoid such potentially embarrassing situations, either by physically side stepping the situation, or psychologically closing off' and retreating into their own protective shell. Even as a participant in a meeting, they would need to be gently encouraged to state their point of view or they will not be heard. This is to be regretted for, to some extent, they can make a contribution of an imaginative or creative nature, especially when thinking along the lines of what precautions need to be taken.

They expect the worst, and there is, therefore, some scope for them to devise ways and means of overcoming difficulties. However, if left to their own devices, that would create considerable pressure. So, they need the background support of a manager or adviser to confirm that what they are thinking is correct and, to some extent, that gives them the confidence to go ahead and implement what they think is correct. These predictive attributes centre on what is likely to go wrong so, when forced into decision-making situations, it will exaggerate the pressure that they feel. Social and work stresses develop quite readily for this style of person, unless they are appropriately placed.

One of the essential elements of their work place is a need for structure to keep them on track but which allows them some latitude for use of their imagination and their creative thinking style. At the same time however, there needs to be a 'mentor" who is readily available and whom they are confident enough to approach. There needs to be clearly identified personal activities for them to carry out (rather than being one of a group) and, ideally, they should be able to put their thoughts or recommendations on paper so that another person can evaluate and confirm their recommendations. More than most people, they benefit from thorough induction and training.

Rarely are they going to display overt sociability. There is considerable reserve present, a scepticism with regard to other peoples' intentions, and a critical attitude to other peoples behaviour. They have their own standards, and basically want to be left alone to pursue their private interests. Whilst their is considerable sensitivity present, and sympathy for those experiencing difficulties, NDA style people are not well equipped to express those feelings, and work associates may gain the (incorrect) impression that they are unfeeling. They deliberately avoid being the centre of attention, and only reluctantly force themselves to attend social functions as a matter of duty.

Spot on with pinpoint accuracy in my case. What's more surprising is the fact that I even got a good result at all with such an utterly confusing test. :?

Sakhmet
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2008, 6:49 pm

I'm interested also... 35 year old self-diagnosed AS female..

This is me to a "T"!

'AE' style
The AE style person is easily distinguished by their commitment to technical accuracy and their complete absorption in their work. They are project-minded people, eager to ensure that all the details are in place. Completing a task to perfection is often more important to them than working within deadlines and, in their enthusiasm for perfecting specifics, they can find it difficult to formulate broader plans. Their focus on technical perfection can make them a valuable asset to an organisation, providing an alternative perspective to more commercially expedient approaches, although their commitment to high quality results can mean that the time taken or the procedures followed must be carefully considered in light of economic realities. They are frequently idealistic, imaginative and creative in their thinking processes.
These people are stimulated by opportunities to employ their creative talents and are more likely to enjoy being the sole operator, rather than having to fit in with team requirements. They are non-antagonistic as far as other people are concerned, but have a little difficulty in including others in their thoughts and their activities. Because they like to "do their own thing", they can become quickly irritated by interference in their area of work. This irritation is usually clearly visible to those around them, particularly if changes of plan or changes in project requirements are thrust upon them. When they are subjected to situations that upset them they will tend to cope by burying themselves in their work and shutting out what is going on around them.
The work situation they like best is one where they are given the space to work to their own high standards, rather than feeling they are under externally imposed time pressures. They prefer not to be disturbed or pulled away to attend to requests from others. Colleagues can sometimes find their preference for working alone difficult to understand and it could therefore at times be important for the AE style of person to consciously set aside times to interact with colleagues, to ensure that they do not convey the impression that they are antisocial or even hostile. They could also find it helpful to explain to colleagues that when they are engrossed in their work, they see attempts by others at social interaction more as irritants than as friendly gestures and, when they are placed under pressure, they are likely to avoid social situations, often coming across as aloof or irritable without meaning to.
They enjoy a work situation where they have the opportunity to work on finite projects, where outcomes are tangible and their own responsibilities are personally challenging but clearly defined. It is very important (for their enjoyment of their work and their ability to give of their best) for project requirements and realistic time frames to be agreed upon at the outset. They appreciate managers who are considerate and respectful of their skills, who recognise their excellent intentions and commitment to quality, who trust them in their work and show quiet recognition and appreciation of their efforts and accomplishments.
They generally view their social life as their own business, and do not appreciate being pressured by invitations to "join in", much preferring to generate friendships over time with people of a similar nature. For them, comfortable friendships often develop slowly over shared involvement in mutually interesting projects.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2008, 10:06 pm

herakh wrote:
im confused, does adult aspies means that they have been always an aspies since childhood but never got diagnosed or that they live a normal childhood but start developing AS when they turn into adult?

in any case, i wanna join, but i think i hav AS, so not sure if thats helping your cause.

Yes, just to clarify some of the uses I would imagine for this questionnaire:

1) for a late diagnosis (i.e., in late adolescence or adulthood), since so many of us obviously never received an autism diagnosis but usually a range of other partially correct or misdiagnoses, until we finally "discovered" Aspergers or HFA;

2) hopefully for research, albeit my test would lean towards inclusion rather than exclusion, so I'm not certain how much it would be used in that sense (research tends to prefer false negatives over false positives). But, nevertheless, it may be one tool which can be used amongst others to help confirm that the person falls within the ASC range.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 12:14 am

herakh wrote:

in any case, i wanna join, but i think i hav AS, so not sure if thats helping your cause.

I don't think we have a 'cause'.

we were just undiagnosed Aspies all our lives. We were born Aspies and had all the issues Aspies do but they just thought we were doing everything on purpose, mostly, because we are were too smart to be 'ret*d'. I was in my early 50's when Asperger's Syndrome became known in the States and in my late 50's when the news filtered down to me as the topic on a National Radio broadcast segment. That is how I found out I was Asperger's.

but I was AS all along, just like the rest of us.

Merle

Sakhmet

17 Feb 2008, 5:19 pm

Just wanted to say thanks again for this questionnaire, Sophist!

This opened my eyes in an unexpected way... I never really knew just how stressed I am in my everyday life - am so used to it, I guess - until I had to think about your "usual stress level" question; on a lot of days, its even higher than what I put down as my answer. No wonder I am so uptight!! !

Never quite "got it" before now...

Cameo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2008, 6:10 pm

I'd be glad to fill out a questionnaire. I love questionnaires.

I got "AE" on the Chandler-McLeod test. It describes my work day in almost embarassingly perfect detail.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2008, 8:53 pm

Sakhmet wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks again for this questionnaire, Sophist!

This opened my eyes in an unexpected way... I never really knew just how stressed I am in my everyday life - am so used to it, I guess - until I had to think about your "usual stress level" question; on a lot of days, its even higher than what I put down as my answer. No wonder I am so uptight!! !

Never quite "got it" before now...

Yes, there are problems I've had where I didn't realize they were a problem until someone asked me or told me it was unusual. Like eye contact, I never realized others usually look at the eyes, whereas I look at the mouth. But people can't tell you're not looking at their eyes, provided you're looking somewhere at their face and aren't standing nose to nose, heh.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 4:46 pm

Anybody else interested?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Feb 2008, 5:28 pm

Sure, I'll participate!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 4:54 pm

I'm still wanting to collect more responses; if anyone else is interested, just PM me. :)

I've got 38 so far for the auties, only 7 controls though, so I need to go control-fishing, heh.

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2008, 6:38 pm

I'll participate! Why not? Questionnaires are good stuff.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2008, 8:08 pm

Jeyradan wrote:
I'll participate! Why not? Questionnaires are good stuff.

Cool, I'll PM you the questionnaire when I get home tonight (currently at school taking a break from a night class). :)

MsJ

28 Feb 2008, 8:08 pm

I took the Chandler Macleod test... pretty good... I gave them 80%.

(BTW, interesting how our NT member who took it was the only one whose description included descriptions like "abundance of sociability and energy" and "effective member of an enthusiastic work group." :wink: )

Quote:
'HE' style

The combination of the H and the E style results in an individual who is on the one hand procedurally driven, organised, methodical, pragmatic and objective and, on the other hand, ambitious, opportunistic, shrewd and commercially astute. Putting these together, this type of person will be detached and pragmatic when it comes to matters of a commercial nature, able to focus on new business opportunities but with sufficient tenacity and focus to channel their enthusiasm and ambition to fruitful and productive outcomes. They are calculated in terms of analysing and assessing potential ventures and able to seriously consider the worth of a possible new idea without becoming too wrapped up in seeing quick results with little effort. Certainly, they will prefer to tackle projects that are relatively short term in nature, where they can be quickly rewarded, but they are willing to put in the hard yards to achieve gains.

Financial success is important to them and they certainly like to be well rewarded for their efforts. Whilst they do like quick results, their need for routine practices, systems and processes provides them with a concrete and stable method of achieving the end goal. They will carefully and shrewdly plan out how they are to increase their wealth and are likely to take a large project and break it up into smaller parts rather than take a more expedient approach and use shortcuts. The combination of ambition, pragmatism and focus provides a very powerful quality for achieving goals which tend to be financial in nature. Irritability and frustration tend to occur when they are distracted from their routine, particularly when this means that their financial goals are not achieved in the time they have allocated.

People of this nature are often seen in work roles where there is a technical focus, such as IT, and environments focused on business outcomes. Autonomy is important to them and their approach to work will be independent and focused on the task at hand and the project goals they are required to achieve. At the same time, they are also clever with respect to developing relationships with people who are useful to them in achieving their goals and, whilst they will generally impress as businesslike in their interpersonal interactions, they can also bring some charm and affability, which is a powerful combination in terms of developing business relationships and impressing as professional. Whilst the affability does tend to be superficial, it still achieves the desired outcome of gaining people's "buy in". They certainly look after their own interests and they can be talkative with respect to discussing a particular project they are working on and focusing on the benefits of that project, particularly where they want to get an individual's interest.

This individual will be out to set goals and methodically achieve those goals, in order to receive benefits for themselves. Channeling this type of behaviour can produce some very successful results. However, it also means they can be very focused on doing things their own way and you may need to convince them to your point of view if your ideas and theirs are not well aligned. They will respond well to people who are similarly objective, pragmatic and focused on a result and therefore people who tend to "go with the flow" or try to engage in a great deal of social chit chat that they feel is irrelevant to their particular area of interest will simply annoy them.