Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BattleCreekDavid
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2008, 4:16 pm

Ohh, it's either I talk too much or not enough. I'm content to just sitting by myself and watching the world around me, but not participating in it. If you don't participate, then you're just a ghost. It's like I'm in the world, but not of the world. Isn't that a Biblical quote? I get grumpy over small changes, tiny changes. Like not enough water in the water pitcher in the morning. Even though, it's easy enough to just refill it, it can throw my day. This is one reason Barrack Obama freaks me out. He keeps wanting to change everything. If he makes everything better, what am I gonna complain about?

scumsuckingdouchebag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 4:18 pm

Utopia is impossible. There will always be something to complain about.

pen2paper
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2008, 4:23 pm

TheyHEY think that I think I'm perfect, while I can't understand why they wouldn't want to be.

TheyHEY say that I am preaching when I am trying to genuinely help out with the knowledge and experience I have about their particular inquiry or dilemma.

Another is that I refuse to relate to others (even those I like) in group situations, unless I feel really, really good about my role there.

And just about all of the things everyone else mentioned.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 4:42 pm

NT's have to learn to close their eyes and LISTEN to what you say. And to do that they have to understand about aspergers. And to do that they have to know that you have aspergers.

NT's do make most judgments from body language. But they can be educated.

At another level you are soo smart! NT's have to learn that you are not trying to put them down. They have to know what else makes you tick: justice, kindness etc. And that requires EDUCATION

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

Last edited by nannarob on 01 Mar 2008, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 4:47 pm

nanna, we live in the era when people are taught to deduct more and more about others through looking at body language and distrusting what they hear.

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 4:53 pm

Greentea wrote:
nanna, we live in the era when people are taught to deduct more and more about others through looking at body language and distrusting what they hear.

Watching politicians on tv, for example, makes the understanding of body language a growth industry.

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

MsJ

01 Mar 2008, 5:07 pm

Overall, I seem to be well-liked by people, but they tend not to get too close to me. I think it's mainly because they don't think they have much in common with me, and they are probably right. Also they know I am not the go-to person for sympathy, since I don't know how to do that. That probably puts up a barrier, too.

Also, I have the habit of spouting off opinions that don't go with the norm, and this can scare off strangers. Like my attitude about babies and children - I happen to find them boring (although I've met a couple I actually liked in the past year), and people don't understand this. They think I hate kids or something, when I just don't care to be around them. I mean, it's nothing personal. Needless to say, I have very few parents as friends. And I'm in the age range where most people have had kids, if they are going to. My friends who are my age tend to have never had them at all.

-J.

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 7:58 pm

People complain I'm too intense. I can only assume that means I scare people off because of my lack of small talk.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 8:00 pm

Sora wrote:
I haven't the foggiest, but when I'm not talking, but instead just standing or walking somewhere, people are put off by me. The reaction that then follows usually varies a lot, some people just leave repelled, some stare at me and some actually try to do something mean to me, usually the youngsters.

I don't think there's something odd about me, I've been told I look normal. I can't imagine why people react like this when they just see me walking down a street. My posture is perfectly normal too, although I usually look in the ground to not get confused by my surroundings. But that's not odd, it may just mean I'm shy, so this can't be it either.

I guess I am lucky. The youngsters don't try to do anything to me. Still, I am like you here, right down to the walk. I DO put on an aire of confidence and try to be social. Obviously, it goes only SO far.

Tempy
Toucan
Toucan

01 Mar 2008, 8:07 pm

bheid wrote:
In my case it's because I don't have anything 'typical' to talk about .

i think thats why

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 10:52 pm

People at my school avoid me because they take me for a creepy type of eccentric.
I don't talk much and even if I did, it would sound as though I am shouting.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2008, 11:42 pm

faithfilly wrote:
People complain I'm too intense. I can only assume that means I scare people off because of my lack of small talk.

Maybe that's my problem too.

alienesque

02 Mar 2008, 12:27 am

My problem is - I'M TOO SMART! Sorry if that sounds awful, and believe me it even sounds awful to me, but really in my case it's quite true, but also quite untrue at the same time. I'll explain... :lol:

Now please don't mistake this for intellectual snobbery, on the contrary I am not like that, in fact I'm very humble and have always played down my achievements (in my opinion that's as it should be) - no, it's how others see me. I feel that some are intimidated by my learning, when they really shouldn't be. Maybe it's my formal approach. I don't know.

As a child, true to the text book, other kids thought me a little professor. I was fascinated by general knowledge and science. Often my older brothers friends would tell me to ask them a question, it was a novelty for them for a while. I on the other hand felt embarassed. It earned me the nickname of 'professor' and that stayed with me all through primary school and until I left secondary school at 18!

In school I had one good friend I could count on, but we grew apart. I went to College he went to a job, stayed friends for a while but grew apart. At College I didn't consider anyone my particular friend - they were more like acquaintances, and sure we had fun at the time, but I feel no reason to look them up - because they were not like me and once again we've grown apart.

I just don't make friends easily. I'm a decent good living guy, some people might even think me handsome. I wouldn't compromise a thing or ever for a moment stop being me.

Maybe I should try and find an Aspie friend. That would be interesting, fascinating and supportive! :lol:

Norah_W
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Mar 2008, 1:50 am

Greentea wrote:
I'm asking those who, like me, put most people off them.

I don't have the faintiest idea what it is in my case...

Nobody really tells me what the problem is. Some people probably find me boring because I don't talk that much. Or if they find out I don't really do that much. I think even Aspies would find that off-putting. But that's just me.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 7:49 am

Greentea wrote:
I'm asking those who, like me, put most people off them.

I don't have the faintiest idea what it is in my case...

I can't answer
in this case
for as far as
my mother is
concerned
everybody
loves me
I am
bright
and
engaging
and
they don't know
why I prefer
to stay alone
in my room

now I know
it's Aspergers
all the secrets
unravel

on the other hand, moronic simpletons used to try to get me to fight them
because violence was their only recourse against anhialating logic

and now they're all married with children
and I'm still living with mum
I guess it's a case of having your cake
and not eating

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2008, 10:30 am

Doing stupid, clumsy stuff. Otherwise, I'm generally liked.