Rant about people with "self-diagnosed" AS

Page 10 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

bookwormde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 May 2008, 10:04 am

Ah how soon we forget what it was like to be young.

Knowledge is easy wisdom only comes from experience and the passage of time.

Zancaur do not loose your edge just learn to temper it with wisdom.

The “honest” expression of our thoughts is one of our best aspie abilities even if it is not always comfortable or convenient.

bookworm

Zancaur
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2008, 11:00 am

I wish to make one more request to have this thread deleted. I said some stupid things that I regret, and I do not wish for people to track it back to me. Granted, it is a bit cowardly, but this is a name I relate to, and I intend to use it in future venues as well. I know that I should be held accountable for my words, but I would really like for people to show me some mercy here :P

If my friends google "zancaur" (which I use in every game and on every website) this would be one of the first things to pop up. They will then discover I have AS, and I'd go through the whole "is he my friend, or just acting nice?" thing again.

So please, I have admitted that I am wrong, could you not do me the favour of deleting the thread?

It would be much appreciated.

PS: I would appreciate it if you deleted every thread and post I have made on this forums. Even delete my profile if you could. I tend to obsess over things, and I am afraid of people finding out more information about me than I want them to know.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 11:33 am

[quote="shopaholic"]I did go for a diagnosis. The only reason I didn't get one was because my parents think that it is just a trendy bandwagon that I want to jump on as an excuse for being lazy and selfish./quote]

That is a reason why I wont get one either. My parents dont think I am selfish but they think Im lazy and lack confidence and all I need is some confidence and work hard on some career goal and it will all be fixed.

I dont think they would believe in Aspergers because they are old-fashioned, they believe that people are people, though some are a little different to others, and that anyone can choose their behaviour.

Taking a break.

07 May 2008, 7:46 pm

Zancaur wrote:
I wish to make one more request to have this thread deleted. I said some stupid things that I regret, and I do not wish for people to track it back to me. Granted, it is a bit cowardly, but this is a name I relate to, and I intend to use it in future venues as well. I know that I should be held accountable for my words, but I would really like for people to show me some mercy here :P

If my friends google "zancaur" (which I use in every game and on every website) this would be one of the first things to pop up. They will then discover I have AS, and I'd go through the whole "is he my friend, or just acting nice?" thing again.

So please, I have admitted that I am wrong, could you not do me the favour of deleting the thread?

It would be much appreciated.

PS: I would appreciate it if you deleted every thread and post I have made on this forums. Even delete my profile if you could. I tend to obsess over things, and I am afraid of people finding out more information about me than I want them to know.

You should use a different name when you join the aspie boards.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2008, 5:47 am

Good for you for apologizing Zancaur! And like I said, I think you learned a good lesson to watch what you say on a forum. An angry rant that you typed out when you were mad, can haunt you later when you've calmed down!

You'll probably find there will be more angry posts on this thread because there are some who will come along and read the first post, and not realize you have already taken it back. I'd suggest if it's not deleted (which I doubt it will) that you go back to the first post and edit it to say you have changed your mind. Then, if you stop posting in it the thread will eventually sink down until nobody reads it any more.

08 May 2008, 8:39 am

You can only edit your post if it's been posted about a week and after that, you can't edit it anymore.

Zancaur
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2008, 8:50 am

Shelby wrote:
Good for you for apologizing Zancaur! And like I said, I think you learned a good lesson to watch what you say on a forum. An angry rant that you typed out when you were mad, can haunt you later when you've calmed down!

You'll probably find there will be more angry posts on this thread because there are some who will come along and read the first post, and not realize you have already taken it back. I'd suggest if it's not deleted (which I doubt it will) that you go back to the first post and edit it to say you have changed your mind. Then, if you stop posting in it the thread will eventually sink down until nobody reads it any more.

I did what you said.
And yes, I tend to vent on the internet a lot. Believe me, this situation is not unfamiliar :p
Anyways, this will be my final post here (I have edited my OP. Those are my final words on the subject), so there is no use in arguing with me any further :)

toby2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2008, 8:44 am

hi Zancaur
i can understand your complaint .
to be honest i am starting to feel a bit guilty replying to threads as if i am defenetly on the spectrum
i will never know until i have my diagnoses and i imagine from your point of view its anoying
knowing that you are defenetly on the spectrum discussing this with people that dont realy know
100 percent that they are, and no doubt you are seeking discusion, advice and help from others
which will be hard to except or even believe from some one who is self diagnosed.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:48 am

toby2 wrote:
hi Zancaur
i can understand your complaint .
to be honest i am starting to feel a bit guilty replying to threads as if i am defenetly on the spectrum
i will never know until i have my diagnoses and i imagine from your point of view its anoying
knowing that you are defenetly on the spectrum discussing this with people that dont realy know
100 percent that they are, and no doubt you are seeking discusion, advice and help from others
which will be hard to except or even believe from some one who is self diagnosed.

I was diagnosed with Lupus for a year before 'they' realized it was hypothyroidism that they had never seen that far advanced. No one ever suggested I was not 100% Lupus when I was diagnosed, but I wasn't . . .not even a little bit Lupus.
It has sorta given me a different perspective of knowing diagnoses are not 100% infallible. They still let me discuss it with other people with Lupus. I suppose I had my Lupus badge, I had a key to the Lupus washroom and knew the secret Lupus handshake, so I got in.

Merle

skeeterhawk
Raven
Raven

09 May 2008, 10:07 am

I will add a little from the other side as well. I worked in a hospital as a researcher alongside lots of very well trained physicians. It was obvious after only a short while how common misdiagnoses were. The issue is "differential diagnosis" and most physicians will admit (often only under pressure) that there isn't much certainty out there.

spindriftdancer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2008, 11:48 am

Justthatgirl11 wrote:
I have 30 years of figuring out how to FAKE IT so I could try to fit in, 30 years of feeling like an outcast and a loser and being confused and wondering what was wrong with me. Still thinking I was normal.

Now that I know, I can relax. I feel more comfortable in my head.

And I know without a doubt that my self-diagnosis is correct.

Amen.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 11:55 am

spindriftdancer wrote:
Justthatgirl11 wrote:
I have 30 years of figuring out how to FAKE IT so I could try to fit in, 30 years of feeling like an outcast and a loser and being confused and wondering what was wrong with me. Still thinking I was normal.

Now that I know, I can relax. I feel more comfortable in my head.

And I know without a doubt that my self-diagnosis is correct.

Amen.

yeah, like the time I self diagnosed that I was a stark raving alcoholic. it was like one minute I was just couldn't see it, didn't relate to it and the next moment I could not believe how I had missed something so obvious to others all those years. The difference was I IDENTIFIED with the symptoms. I have never questioned that self diagnosis since and the only other DX that ever made any sense, either, was Asperger's Syndrome.

your mileage may vary,

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 09 May 2008, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2008, 11:55 am

*nods* I think it is a reasonable complaint to some extent. I know a couple of guys who claim they have AS. They were both raised by wealthy and entitled old hippies. Having become close with a legitimate asbie and having done a some reading on the subject, I suspect the two guys in question are booksmart and are feel too entitled to hold down a job, so they claim AS. :roll:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 12:16 pm

Selkie wrote:
*nods* I think it is a reasonable complaint to some extent. I know a couple of guys who claim they have AS. They were both raised by wealthy and entitled old hippies. Having become close with a legitimate asbie and having done a some reading on the subject, I suspect the two guys in question are booksmart and are feel too entitled to hold down a job, so they claim AS. :roll:

That is certainly an interesting information. As any professional on WP, I am interested in your degrees in clinical psychology or psychiatry and in what capacity you are making your diagnosis, Doctor.

respectfully,

Merle

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 12:58 pm

Zancaur wrote:

*raises an eyebrow* are you saying you understand why someone would not want people to know they have AS? interesting.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 1:07 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
LeKiwi wrote:
What about those of us who were diagnosed young, but who didn't get it put in writing, opting for a 'verbal diagnosis' instead? Got the diagnosis, went through the process, but decided against having it put in writing because of probable problems in the future with discrimination, insurance, work, etc?

My diagnostician also asked if I wanted just a verbal diagnosis. I opted for a paper diagnosis, but only after making sure that I was the only one who would get a copy. I figured it might come in handy at some point, and as long as no insurance companies or employers have access- it's all good!

I only went with a verbal diagnosis, I guess I am being a little paranoid, about any future health insurance or job opportunities.