What job is good for an aspie with no qualifications?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

NoOnesBoy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2008, 2:16 am

I worked in a library for a while. You have to start shelving books (which, depending on who you are, can be a great thing) and work your way up. You don't really have to work with people, it's nice and quiet, and if you're like me you'll find ways to read as you shelve :P. But really, do whatever you think you might like. Apply for jobs you think you aren't qualified for and pretend that you actually think you ARE qualified. The letters you get in university aren't everything--if you like photos for example, you could apply for a job in a studio by stating how your knowledge is equivalent to university training and giving them a portfolio. Or you could make your own job. Oftentimes a person can get grants from charities and government organizations to start up small businesses.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2008, 2:18 am

I always wanted to be a graveyard caretaker; the dead are a quiet bunch. I'd probably attempt do such if there was a graveyard around here.

tbam
Raven
Raven

08 May 2008, 6:43 pm

I'm a photographer and don't have any qualifications, i've done amateur and professional photography, so I can say one thing if you decide to pursue a career in photography.

Most of your problems will come from directing people. For me, the anxiety of communication and "putting people out" made coordinating band members for band photography frustrating, as they would never get in positions that I wanted them in, yet I wouldn't ask them to get in the position I wanted them in. I would usually get them to stand somehere I liked the look of and just do observational photography. As for getting them organised smallest to largest, composing them as a group, I just couldn't do it.

The photography I preferred was observational and largely involved post-production on the computer.

I work in Insurance at the moment, and if i'm left alone I love it. Insurance policy wording is a haven for my mind, finding all the technical loopholes and avenues for approving and declining claims, as well as all of the collating data for claims settlements, and obtaining replacement quotes etc.

I don't have any qualifications except a certificate in graphic and print design and I have had the following jobs, most of which were unsuccessful, mainly due to the social requirements which only now I recognise:
- Pizza delivery
- Car salesman
- Door to door sales of electricity providers
- Graphic Designer
- Photopgrapher
- Supermarket packer thingo
- Call centre insurance claims lodgement person
- Insurance claims handler

For me, getting some of those jobs was due to how well i could fake it, using my knowledge of the subjects to my advantage. The fact that I had no experience or qualifications in the fields was appealing to some employers because it meant they could train me their way, instead of having an old dog and trying to teach them new tricks, if you get my meaning. That, as well as my slight awkwardness made me appear as genuine and sympathetic, so even if I had never sold a car in my life, a business manager saw me as someone who could sell cars given the right learning.

The sky is the limit, but as others have said, we Aspies, prefer jobs with less social interaction. Which after finding AS, i can now confirm as all of the unsuccessful jobs I had, involved heavy social interaction.