Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 5:18 pm

So I've heard men are supposed to not cry nearly as much as women do, but they still can cry. Women supposedly are more prone to crying. Why is it that as a woman I am never moved to tears.....with the exception of excessive tear production due to photophobia, but that is a just physiological response....

I can't remember the last time I cried. I had to be a small child, and I don't remember why. I was nine when my grandmother died. I didn't cry at her funeral. I knew she was sick and dying and that she was not suffering anymore...and I didn't understand why people were crying. I don't cry during sad movies. I didn't cry when my dad hit me. I don't cry when I fight with my fiance....

My mother died last year and I thought I'd be able to cry....I didn't. Not when it happened in front of me. Not at the viewing, not at the funeral. Seven moths later I still haven't.

Is there something wrong with me (besides the obvious)?

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2008, 5:31 pm

I've cried once in 18 years. And hopefully nver again.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 5:52 pm

unless a doctor has said theres something physical stopping the salty water from coming out,then there's nothing wrong about that and it's not a bad thing even if some say it is,people who say it's bad/not normal are following stupid tradition.
it doesnt matter if some girls dont soak themselves with crying so much they look like they've gone to the toilet too early,as not all girls have a female wired brain,girls with an ASD especially are most likely to have a male wired brain [think it's called the extreme male brain with asd].
if others are nasty because of this,dont listen,they have their way and self have own way,they cannot force it on anyone else.

am do have it sliding down face some times,am have a habit of rubbing eyes so much,something gets in and then cant stop them from crying.
it does not bother am as others have no effect on am.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2008, 9:20 pm

As far as I know there isn't anything wrong with my tear ducts. My eyes will tear when I'm exposed to bright light, and they tear when wind is blowing at them. They teared when my nose was broken.....however they never tear due to an emotional response.

I thought of this today because my aunt called me earlier and she asked me how I was doing dealing with my mother's death (she's not nosey, or trying to rub it in...she's actually a therapist). Anyway I just told her I'm the same I was seven months ago, the night it happened. Then she said my sister told her that she thought I was in denial or something, because I still hadn't cried about it.....which is pretty odd because my sister grew up with me, and should know by now I do not cry. My boss made a comment about me being totally dry eyed at my mother's viewing, even while seeing other people around me cry (totally none of her business), and she just said it probably hadn't hit me yet, and the longer before it did the worse it would be....um her parents are still alive so it's not like she knows this from experience.......

I asked a therapist once if it was normal for a woman to not ever cry. she said there was something really wrong with the way I dealt with emotion, and it wasn't healthy to not let myself feel emotions, and that that wasn't healthy and so on. Maybe she was right....I know it's probably better to have a good sob, than to slam my head on my desk repeatedly or throw my cell phone.....then I saw another one who said I express emotion my way, and that is just fine, and reminded me that men don't cry easily and some don't cry at all, and no one says anything to them. she also said I should find more healthy and less destructive ways to deal with the one emotion I do feel strongly....anger....I'm still working on that.

I do have a male wired brain. I am good with my hands. I can put furniture together from Ikea, without the silly picture instructions. I can change my car's oil, do my brakes, change my transmission fluid, change my fuel filter, my air filter, spark plugs and wires....pretty much do anything that doesn't require and engine crane because I don't have one. I actually worked as an auto mechanic in college.....where I was pursing an engineering degree......it's actually odd that I found myself making cosmetics for a living........

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:14 pm

I can days without cry spells.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2008, 10:22 pm

I cried just yesterday... and the day before that. But everything was good today. 8)

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

09 May 2008, 12:16 am

It takes something like a close relative dying to get me too cry.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 8:50 am

I never cry. Two days ago the coolest teacher from our college suddenly died and several girls were dissolving into tears but I stayed unmoved. I never cry during funerals nor watching sentimental movies.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:04 am

I haven't cried since my dog died 8 years ago. Allthough I'm capable of empathizing, I fail to see the purpose of crying. I didn't cry when my great grandmother died, since she had lived a long and good life, but my dog had many years left.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

LeahG
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2008, 9:21 am

I cry far too much; I have the opposite problem. I'm always crying at something. It's quite annoying.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:39 am

I do cry sometimes. It's mostly out of frustration because things don't work the way they rationally should. I also get bouts of deep depression from time to time, where I'll just cry for hours. I don't have them as much as I used to though, thank goodness.

Still, the fact I don't do anything to harm anyone and never cause trouble and people have still tormented me in the past for no reason makes me cry.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 9:48 am

I cry out of frustration more than anything. I guess like mini-meltdowns. It drives my partner mad, but he understands, he says he just hates not being able to do anything. Then I cry when I'm sad, or when I read something sad, or when something sad happens. Curiously, I didn't cry at my grandfather's funeral though. I cry a lot, actually. But mostly from frustration or meltdown.

tharn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2008, 10:44 am

For me, it depends if I'm in a panic situation. If I feel like the world's coming down around my ears, or people are watching, or I have some other reason to feel under attack, my emotions shut down. My face goes blank, my voice monotone, my gestures become robotic. It's as though everything about me contracts to reduce my emotional footprint; I go into Problem-Solving Mode. But once I get alone and the numbness wears off, perhaps days or even weeks later, I may break down out of the blue. I may not even be thinking about what originally upset me; it's like my body is getting rid of some toxin.

Strangely, I still cry out of sympathy at particular films and songs. I think this is a different mechanism, though.

As to whether this is healthy? We all have ways of dealing with emotions - due to our personal choices, culture, wiring, etc. It's problematic to say "This is statistically normal, so it is the healthiest way for you to be." The human mind is too complex and too varied to trouble-shoot it like a machine. The question to ask is "do this person's coping mechanisms work well?" If you don't cry because you have other ways of dealing with the emotional stress, I wouldn't worry about it being abnormal. If you ignore emotional stress entirely, or deal with it in a way that is damaging, I would consider exploring other ways to cope with your emotions, and see if they work for you.

Selkie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2008, 11:34 am

I cry whenever I feel frusturated or overwhelmed. Occasionally I'll have depressive bouts involving tears that occur for a couple of minutes, several times a week.

nomadic28
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2008, 11:39 am

Sometimes I don't think my wife generally believes I'm truly upset over something because I don't cry about it. And we're talking detrimental, save-or-break-our-marriage stuff that most may be moved to tears over.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 11:46 am

I only occasionally cry. Even when I am suicidal I can't cry and I just have this annoying smile on my face. I think I cried once this year and that is when someone was putting me down in the hospital and she made me feel so horrible. No one even believes I am depressed because of the smile and the lack of crying.