Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:27 pm

For a long time now, I have hated the abbreviation "Aspie". It sounds all cute and childish, and makes me feel sick and angry when people say it to me. Also, I find more and more people refering to my aspergers as "Aspie". Surely if I don't like that terminology, people should acknowledge this and NOT say it, in the same way as people will (out of common courtesy) spell my name the same way as I do?
I just get kind of sick of being caught under a mass-label that I don't like!

Does anyone else share this sentiment?

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Dec 2005, 8:29 pm

i agree. aspie sounds dumb. you'd think they wouldn't try to name it something that would make someone get teased even more.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:32 pm

Aspies just easy to remember and short, we asper wouldnt be much better :-/.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:32 pm

Heh, yeah, I'd never thought of it that way. I've never been teased for it much, but thats only because I was only diagnosed a few years ago... I can imagine the term "aspie" must draw yet more unwanted attention.

violentcloud
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2005, 8:42 pm

TBH, when I'm talking about it to someone who knows I've been diagnosed, I tend to refer to it as "Arse Purges" or "Arse Burgers". I know these are usually used as insults, but I find that by using them in good humor in reference to myself means I don't really care when people say them malisciously.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2005, 2:15 am

I don't particularly care for it either, but people (like my sisters) when they hear "Asperger" they think ass-burger or something similar and start to giggle. It really depends on who I'm talking to with how I refer to it (my parents and other more mature people don't have the aforementioned problem), and when talking about someone with Asperger's, it's a lot easier sometimes to say Aspie than it is to say "person with Asperger's."

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

snaive
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2005, 9:44 am

I dont like it either.

You are first and foremost a person - with AS, not AS and also a person.. :-)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 10:14 am

violentcloud wrote:
For a long time now, I have hated the abbreviation "Aspie". It sounds all cute and childish, and makes me feel sick and angry when people say it to me. Also, I find more and more people refering to my aspergers as "Aspie". Surely if I don't like that terminology, people should acknowledge this and NOT say it, in the same way as people will (out of common courtesy) spell my name the same way as I do?
I just get kind of sick of being caught under a mass-label that I don't like!

Depends on who call the person it,is it people online who say it,or family etc?

I hate the word,and never use it,it's just an established slang term afterall.
Everytime I see the word as text,I always see it as "as pie" ,annoying.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 12:05 pm

I've never had anyone directly call me an "Aspie". I use it to refer to myself though. And I don't mind it. But I use it on this forum more than IRL. IRL I generally say "I have Aspergers Syndrome, which is a form of high-functioning Autism..."

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 12:59 pm

I just say I have a mild form of Autism, and send a link about Aspregers online because it's a funny word that I myself try not to laugh at. Aspie is revoltingly childish.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 1:03 pm

Its better than Aspergers. Aspergers is to long. And asper sounds like a tree.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2005, 3:19 pm

Sarcastic_Name wrote:
I just say I have a mild form of Autism, and send a link about Aspregers online because it's a funny word that I myself try not to laugh at. Aspie is revoltingly childish.

I dont like saying I have a mild form of autism because nobody knows much about autism outside of rainman though sometimes I do send a link to bkirbys site. And Im revoltingly childish too so might as well call myself an aspie lol.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

thepeaguy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2005, 4:35 pm

violentcloud wrote:

Yes.

I prefer being called "autistic" if anything.

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2005, 8:30 pm

Nobody I know outside the internet knows the term except this one lady I was talking to. They have no idea what aspergers is. So I just tell people I'm mildy autistic, they get that.

"In what concerns you much, do not think that you have companions: know that you are alone in the world."

Henry David Thoreau

Crion87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Dec 2005, 2:39 am

I usually say 'I'm slightly autistic' - people usually get that, or if they know what they are on about, I might say, 'I'm Aspergian,' but that is rare.

Bearsac-Debra
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2005, 5:50 am

I like the term Aspie. It's something that has come from us and not the medical world or NTs.
I see it as being short for Aspergian which also comes from us and not NTs.

From the source I found, I learnt that people with AS chose Aspergian and Aspie because they said If you are talented at art you are not said to have Picasso syndrome but are called an Artist. If you are are talented at writing or playing music, you are not labled as having Mozart syndrome but are called a Musician.
So if you have the skills of AS then you are an Aspergian or Aspie.

I can see how if the NT kids have, or do, catch on to the Aspie word, then they might turn it from a positive to a negative as it has that type of ring to it.

By all means speak up against its use if you don't like it, but don't let its use by us on here let it offend you and don't let the NT bullies win by letting them hijack the terms chosen by us.
You can't stop them using it but you can choose the way you show reaction to its use. Letting them see you are upset would be letting them hijack our terms.