Can we still be considered of the human species?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2007, 9:41 pm

InSpades wrote:
ChatBrat wrote:
InSpades wrote:
I was thinking the same this morning. My psychiatrist told me one a major difference between NT and AS people is the need for relationships. Does the need for relationships define a human being? I happen to believe it does. However, I can not reconcile the idea scientifically or logically.

Your psychiatrist is misinformed. Most people with Aspergers desire relationships with others, it's just that most of us are very inept at finding and keeping relationships. .

Need and want are two different things. Any aspie that does hard self analysis would come to the conclusion they don't need relationships. I would imagine that 90% of the people on this board don't need any type of relationship. NTs need relationships almost as much as food or water. Aspies don't have that type of need. It is something we can't understand. This often leads to aspies not being able to form relationships. Subconscioulsy, aspies just don't try as hard.

Just had to jump in here, In Spades...I don't think anyone can possibly quantify what AS people on this board, or anywhere, want or need. Everyone - without exception - needs other people in some way or other.

Neither do I think it's a psychological/subconscious issue as you estimate. The way an aspie brain functions is hardwired - it's physiological.

Psychologically, I may want relationships (and need them for the good of my emotional or mental health) but physiologically I just don't seem to have the exact right programs to get me there...

lupin
Toucan
Toucan

29 Dec 2007, 9:54 pm

There's one branch of my family that is traced back an extremely long way. Most of them, particularly the males, are very well documented. There are little biographies of them in various forms and their doings and their characters. It's this line that I believe is the aspie one - some of the descriptions are incredibly AS. My point is that AS doesn't appear to be an 'advance' or evidence of evolution to anything superior or different in my family. Looking at the history, they've always been very eccentric- right from the year dot/when recording began.

sort30030
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2007, 10:39 pm

I would suspect that Aspies and NT's also breed just as often as aspie+aspie so it would be difficult to evolve into a different species.

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 May 2008, 5:28 am

What exactly are the requirements for a new species?

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 8:40 am

aeroz wrote:
Something I thinking of was, when exactly does an animal become another animal. For example when did a wolf become a dog. Evolution takes millions of years but can be marked by sudden mutations.

But lets look at asperger according to what is currently believed. A genetic trait that fundimentally alters the way the mind stores and analyses information. This trait can, and often is, passed down the family line but can also appear randomly. So although its not an outward physical genetic change it is indeed a genetic change which is typical of the evolutionary process. So doesn't it seem like the appearance of aspergers is a sign that humans are going through evolutionary diversion?

Acually I would sya it is just a human variation not a sperate branch. All we really have are slower developing right brains.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 11:22 am

Science came from Universities that were founded by religions. Hence, humans are not animals, but a special creation.

Human is a different species from apes, but how far is undetermined. Is a chimp/human breed possible? I have never heard of anyone trying, but there have been some unexpained and very smart apes, with nearer to human traits. I forget his name but there was one in the DNA era, in Florida, billed as a missing link, with middle DNA.

I think the story was his mother was raised in captivity, no one mentioned his father. So we could be a sub species of chimp.

As for Autism, larger brain, big head, more so in girls, is how we map our ancestors. The medical types say four to ten times as many boys than girls, but the Autism web sites have been counted to have more girls than boys. So girls pass unnoticed.

Bigger brains, long heads, did not happen to everyone overnight, it starts with one, but over thousands of years only big brained long heads were left. They were also fragile compared to the thicker skulled round heads, so males most likely had a low survival rate, but females passed, and long heads it is.

Autistic brains do seem to have an advantage in technology, and that is becoming more and more of life. Give it a few thousand years, and they may be the only survivors. Like others in our past, life became just too complex for them to keep up.

How many NT's have read all of Wikipedia, and then had to make corrections?

Spacedoubt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2008, 11:43 am

Wolfpup wrote:
Right, and I just have to add in that dog's ARE wolves. They're the same species.

You can probably tell from my username that this is an area of interest for me :lol:

My chihuahua already knows that. :lol: She's so ferocious!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 1:06 pm

InSpades wrote:
Observing NTs, they form friendships with people they don't even like.

Perhaps this is what sets us apart.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know me personally, I'm very picky when it comes to what kind of people I seek as friends. There are many other people who I'll call my friend, but would probably be more appropriately titled as "acquaintances", or just "friends of friend", as I put it.

I know one of my major flaws in relationships is that I don't know the proper methods of sustaining them. I never take time out of my day to call my friends and ask what they're up to (small talk, bleh), or ask if they want to hang out. I always just expect them to take the initiative themselves and call me, especially since they're the ones who have the good ideas, not me. Perhaps this is what one means when they say we don't "seek" companionship?

As for not needing companionship, well...maybe...but I know having it makes me a whole heck of a lot less depressed.