Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 3:12 pm

I have very bad sense problems and am wondering if others do.

Light, noise, touch, tastse, and odors.....very severe.

I also have such a rigid schedule that I have not taken a vacation for 20 years, and wondering if anyone has that, too.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 3:51 pm

Sorenna wrote:

I also have such a rigid schedule that I have not taken a vacation for 20 years, and wondering if anyone has that, too.

yes to both of them,are definitely not alone here,there's a few WPers who that could also describe.

am have a support staff from the national autistic society who comes into res. home to support am,train staff on autism etc. and she works with all level of autism and aspergers,she told am she has never met anyone as severely affected as am with sensory problems,she only knows one other autistic who is close but most of the time they cant tell how bad its affecting him because he's unable to communicate it in anything but behavior.

am have very strong routines to [if that is the same thing] and have not been away for years,am need to be in the same room in the same layout with the same things,though it's not a holiday,when am had to stay in hospital recently,am took most of the room and photos of it on the laptop,wouldn't have been able to do it without that.
also have other things that affect holidays,cant go on planes [both sensory,meltdown/SI and 'risk assessment' reasons],and support reasons-the councils' residential home staff are not allowed to accompany on holidays anymore,
which means one of the only options is a company like crysalis who offer their own support staff,but that means being with staff who are not in regular routine,am have to have a long 'induction' time with new staff alongside routine staff,and that is impossible with crysalis.
the other option is going with family,but they only want to go and stay with relatives in ireland [who have screaming kids].

it is all very common,as the spectrum varies so much.
will find some aspies have more severe sensory problems than some LF auties,but then will find LF auties are very affected in communication/language when compared to aspies.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

aspiegirl87
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2008, 4:30 pm

can I ask who or what "am" is? Im sorry if I offend u but im just curious.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 4:42 pm

I think he/she means "i" when saying am.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 9:54 pm

aspiegirl87 wrote:
can I ask who or what "am" is? Im sorry if I offend u but im just curious.

Actually, am is the first person. I don't really know why she does it, but it could mean I, me, or I'm. Hopefully I didn't miss any. Anyway, it is just te first person. We all have little idiosyncrasies and, if they can allow me my caps key, I can allow them little things like this.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2008, 10:00 pm

Sorenna wrote:

I don't really know what you mean, but I am hyper sensitive to light(more so as a kid), CERTAINLY hypersensitive to noise. I suspect my taste is normal, but smell IS skewed a bit. I can smell things others can't, but apparently can't really smell skunk. Frankly, this poor pooch I once had smelled FINE after getting sprayed by a skunk, but the TOMATO juice STUNK! Oh yeah, textures, etc... on touch. ESPECIALLY when I was a kid.