Did you start having anxiety later in your life?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 7:11 pm

I think I was born with anxiety. I had panic attacks about the most mundane things too. My brothers had the video game for the movie Toys. This elephant thing would pop up and you were supposed to stop it from seeing you or something. I overheard one of my brothers explaning the game to his friend and he said that you were supposed to poke its the elephant thing's eyes out. Ever since then when I saw the elephant thing I had a panic attack. My mother says she thought I was going to have a heart attack and was even close to calling 911 a few times.

theQuail
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2008, 8:37 pm

I developed social anxiety when I was 13, in the second semester of eighth grade. It wasn't that bad as social anxiety goes, just moderate and no panic attacks or physical illness (though I would get more physical symptoms later), but I hated it. I've been recovering from it for the last few months. It is very fortunate that I seem to be getting better without treatment... I feel very lucky, though I'm still quite shy.

When playing Super Mario or other video games, I have this funny anxious response to nearly dying. I'll get palpitations and a huge adrenaline rush. 8O Oh well, it doesn't stop me from playing...

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2008, 6:12 pm

Probably around 16.

I was always a happy kid, who got on well with others. But around 16 is when I realised I wasn't developing socialy like my peers, everyone was getting into alcohol and the opposite sex, I was still into my obsessions.

This is when I started to feel withdrawn and since then I think my anxiety has got worse everyday, number of friends has dropped from many to almost zero.

... but some how, discovering AS, I have come to terms with who I am and feel happier now. Although in social situations I still suffer anxiety.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2008, 7:28 pm

I had almost no fear until I was about six or seven, and now I suffer from bad anxiety. It's only gotten worse as I get older, though my paranoia lessened significantly in my mid to late teens.

My social phobia got really bad at fifteen, and my general anxiety began becoming pronounced at about thirteen.

tbam
Raven
Raven

19 May 2008, 5:44 pm

I also feel sick when anything unexpected happens that impacts on me. I've never had an anxiety attack, I don't think, but I'm finding i'm getting more anxious as I grow older. However as someone else said here, I think it is the combination of my anxiety and my marriage.

I have a heavy pressure on my chest almost every morning, and after me and my wife fight, the pressure stays for weeks, because i'm so scared of fighting again.

But, I haven't seen a doctor or my psych about the Anxiety yet, are there any meds that help with this? I'm not depressed, but the anxiety is sucking hardcore.

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2008, 6:03 pm

at least for me, the older i got, the more aware i became of my differences and errors.
correspondingly, my anxiety about making errors increased.