Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

foxysalamander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Dec 2005, 5:56 pm

Jerry Newport is an Aspie who lives in Arizona. He wrote a book called Your Life Is Not a Label. He also wrote Autism-Asperger Sexuality: Puberty and Beyond.

Jerry Newport thinks that all Aspies should be able to function as well as he does. He thinks that mental illness is a weakness. He doesn't understand conditions that are different than his own. For example, he doesn't understand sensory issues, and he has an excellent sense of direction. He was a frat boy, graduated from college, works an a seasonal accountant, and worked for several years as a taxi driver.

He thinks that people with bipolar disorder should take some lithium and get on with their lives.
He doesn't believe in SSI or assisted living for people with mental conditions.[/i]

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2005, 6:04 pm

...and he has named you his emissary to tell us what he thinks?

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 8:28 pm

I'm sure he'll be by soon to give us his counterpoint on your interpretations of his thoughts. After all, he IS a member here.

foxysalamander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Dec 2005, 9:47 pm

I just don't like his dismissal of depression as a weakness or an excuse for being lazy. My type of depression did not involve feeling sad or hopeless or worthless. Rather, it involved psychomotor retardation, difficulty thinking/concentrating, and lack of energy, in addition to the anhedonia. I wonder if Mr. Newport is familiar with the DSM-IV-TR criteria. He doesn't seem to realize that in some cases, it can reach the level of disability (e.g. problems with concentration, persistence, or pace of activities, social functioning, marked restrictions of activities of daily living, episodes of decompensation). Also, he should realize that some people will still have 'functional limitations' even if they take their medications as prescribed. Some Aspies will not be able to drive. What about people who have AD/HD symptoms in addition to their Asperger Syndrome? Tourette's Syndrome? OCD?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2005, 11:10 pm

foxysalamander,
I do agree with your points,but if the book is from a autobiographical/personal view (have not read it or many autism based books,myself),it's just his opinion,unless it's being made in more of a statement/factual kind of way than opinion,then that is when it can be flawed,an opinion is just someones personal thoughts.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2005, 11:46 am

It's a shame when ANY mental disorder, depression or anxiety is stigmatized or tivialized in such a way as to impede folks from getting the help they need. In most cases, when afflicted with such mental maladies, an individual must become very proactive in helping themselves; often under the guidance of a mental health professional. It requires strength and resolve to acquire the coping skills needed to address these issues, when it is often easier, initially, to just wallow in the myre of depression or throw money and pharmaceuticals at the problem.

visualize whirled peas

foxysalamander
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Dec 2005, 12:29 pm

Quote:
It requires strength and resolve to acquire the coping skills needed to address these issues, when it is often easier, initially, to just wallow in the myre of depression or throw money and pharmaceuticals at the problem.

True. For me, however, talking to a therapist provided no help whatsoever. My depression, at one point was so severe that I couldn't concentrate well enough to ride my bicycle safely to the psychiatrist, so I fell off my bike, scrape my face badly, and missed the appointment. Then, when medication did have a beneficial effect, I couldn't afford to see a therapist/psychologist to talk about coping skills or any such things, because my insurance wouldn't cover such a "luxury."

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2005, 2:14 pm

well, i havent read his books or anything. but if he thinks that bipolar is bad.. what the... i think its kool, apart from the suicide rate.
i think OCD and tourettes are f***ng awesome! ADD and ADHD is awesome too.
i once met this amazing girl, she had tourettes, ADHD, epilepsy, and two more things i cant remember. her personality was the best ever!! ! yeah hyper and stuff, and impulsive, coz of all the diagnoses overlapping or whatever its called.
well ill wait until i see jerry's movie, until i judge him. coz if we arent portrayed gently there, im gonna get reall y mad i bet.......... :roll:

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2005, 2:49 pm

Have you ever seen a ditsy, feel-good, hollywood comedy-romance movie that doesnt portray a sympathetic view of the leading characters and their quirks? Yes we are portrayed sympathetically in the movie.

Of course Jerry doesnt have all the same issues that others here have have and his girlfriend in it seems very NT and they are but two people (there are a few other aspies in their group but being the supporting characters you dont really get to explore their minds so much ) but the film was never going to be a documentary-like education of the AS mind and it's many manifestations so i guess we can be grateful that it isnt another negative rain-man or psycho-like media portrayal of AS, of which there is a growing number of.

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Dec 2005, 8:24 pm

Hey, foxysalamander! I wish you well. I am sorry about your bike crash.

I must applaude berta and eamon for pointing our that neurodiversity is interesting and okay. This whole thread is a good illustration as to the uniqueness of the individuals within the whole situation we share.

The thought of not only accepting, but appreciating someone faced with unique mental conditions, is an awesome eye-opener to me!

visualize whirled peas