Ever been picked on by a teacher mercilessly? misunderstood?

Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 5:57 pm

gbollard wrote:
I used to make a lot of stuff up - or assume the bleeding obvious. I was constantly harassed for my sources.

I could never remember my sources a lot of the time.
I knew it was true, and that I'd read it in something reputable, but which one it was, no idea. So referencing was always fun.

L.

Bradford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2008, 2:17 pm

I was always teacher's pet and the quickest student.
I had teachers who really pushed me, but that's a different thing.

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2008, 4:06 pm

Picked on mercilessly, per se? No. Subjected to aversives mercilessly? Yes, as were several of my classmates. I've been spanked, had my mouth covered, restrained, locked in dark closets, and others I'm probably forgetting. If this sort of thing happens to just one or two kids in a class however, I can see where it would cross the line into actually being "picked on."

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:14 pm

I have the perfect example of this.
When I was in 3rd grade, we had a school play. We were insects celebrating the birth of Jesus. I was a firefly.
I kept flashing my flashlight on and off, you know, to be realistic.
The teacher yelled at me for trying to upstage the baby jesus.
So I was like "you think I was trying to upstage a DOLL?"
She was my enemy for the rest of the year, making various unsolicited comments (remember - I was 7!) on my "snooty" behavior...

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2008, 4:25 pm

yes by one teacher grade k through 6. It was heck!! !

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 4:52 am

the bullying i got came from students mostly
i tried to report them but the teachers wouldn't do anything.

i had this one teacher that was weird (other people complained about her too (nts)
well this one time i was doing an oral presentation where you talk infront of the class (hard for me) and she kept interupting to clarify the obvious. anyway i took a step (tiny one) in her direction and she said don't hit me. i just rolled my eyes and that was the end of that.
when people hand in their work on time (like i always did and my sister did too she would complain about this too) she would give it to other people that didn't finish theirs (as an example she would say) and they would just copy it. and they would end up getting better marks then the ones that did it by themselves in the first place!

lots of students didn't like her much (my siblings had her too and they did not like her either)
she had no idea what she was doing.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2008, 5:11 am

my PE teacher :oops:

Used to just stand there watching me stimming back and forth and trying to get back into my shoes/clothes after practice, she'd always single me out for questions I was rarely ready to answer, she'd mock me openely, I truly loathed her, and made it my mission to get an A in her class for GCSE, which I did. Yay :D

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2008, 1:04 pm

its ther way of retribution

Cori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2008, 1:16 pm

I cannot believe what I'm reading! (yes I can) I feel so bad for all of you that have been abused by teachers! My son who is now 13 and has asperger's had a couple of those kind of teachers. Thank God that my son would tell me everything that would happen at school...who said what, etc. Let me tell you, I studied IDEA, got an advocate, had to write a few letters to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Policy Act) and to OCR (Office for Civil Rights) and now when I have IEP meetings, they're listening. My son will be in a new school this year...i'm sure I'll have to fight again with these teachers, but if they look at my son's records, they'll know that I'm not going to put up with them treating my son badly. I wish I could have advocated for you!

Shastania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2008, 10:57 pm

I've managed to block out most of my primary (1st to 6th grade) schooling years but from the few bad memories I can gleam, I was the proverbial 'whipping girl' simply because it was a well known fact that I was the ONLY deaf girl in the ENTIRE school.

Looking back, I'd say they weren't even aware of it but at the time, most of my teachers talked down to me and AT me rather than TO me which led to me being covered in spittle whilst developing a severe "personal space intrusian" complex.

Even now, a good twelve years on, I still hate it when people come any closer than arm's lenght. I've punched out, kicked, shoved and screamed at people for doing this. They just won't listen when I explain that such things make me nervous and like a frightened animal, I will lash out when backed into a corner.

From 5th to 6th grade, there was one boy in particular who singled me out for bullying.

His name was Daniel and I still have a very vivid memory of being in Ms O' Hanlon's class one day just after we'd all returned from Summer Vacation.
I've always had an obsession with high-end professional grade writing instruments and at the time- when I was 10 years old-I had a huge collection of neon-coloured gel pens that Ms O' Hanlon graciously allowed me to use with gusto.

(She was one of the few kind-hearted teachers who recodnized me as an Aspie even before I knew it myself.)

Anyhoo, I'd forgotten my pencil case on this particular day so I had to make due with a purple gel pen I carried in a side pocket of my uniform for spare use. (I also have an obsession with purple things :P )
Long story short, I put the pen down on the table when I went to the bathroom and when I came back, it was gone.

I searched high and low for the pen and kept asking everyone if they'd seen it but just when all hope seemed lost, I found it under a nearby table. It had rolled under Daniel's bag and when I was bending down to retrieve it, he stormed up to me and yanked it out of my hand, accusing me of stealing.

He told on me and he and the rest of the class began accusing me of theft.

I constantly mantained my innocence and the only person who believed me was the teacher as she knows about the particular, distinctive type I pen I use. She ordered Daniel to give back the pen but he kept on raging that it was HIS pen and it got to the point where she started to believe him rather than me.

So we all went outside for recess, but I stayed behind and managed to steal back my purple pen.

Daneil tattled on me again and I got in trouble for stealing but when the teacher was giving out to me, I clearly recall getting fed up with the whole thing and snapping the pen in half.
"So NO-ONE gets to use the pen", as it were.

I got told off and had to write out lines of "I must not steal" on the black board as punishment whilst Daniel got away scot free.

He continued to torment me by calling me names, hidding my schoolbooks and stationary and generally being just a little s**t to the point where I'd come home crying, eventually refusing to go to school because of him.

To compound my misery, a young girl named Lisa had infiltrated my tiny group (two strong) circle of friends and upon hearing about my hearing and apparent "learning difficulties" that stemmed from having trouble with sounds, she bullied me mercilessly for it.

It got so bad that I started bunking off school. I must have missed about 4 or 5 months in total because of those two little f**kers but with Lisa, things were even worse as some of her reletives worked in the school's administration building.

That and it's really no cliche to say that little girls are "cruel b*****s".

So I'm sitting there in the playground one day, silently stewing with the stress of the bullying and the flippant, "we're monitoring the situation but not actively doing anything about it" attitude towards it when something just snaps inside of me.

I started stalking Lisa (READ: Sit behind a tree and observe her) and began to ignore her whenever she called me a ret*d or stole my friends away from me, all the while watching her routine to establish a game plan.

A few weeks after the pen incident, I struck.

I was pretty savvy about the school rules and I knew that once I was off school property, the atriocious juristicion for punishment didn't apply. I waited until the school let out for the day and as she was walking through the gates heading for home, I let her get off school property and then I tapped her on the shoulder.

When she turned around, I punched her so hard in the right eye that she didn't come to school for three full days and when she finally DID show her sorry face, she had the mother of all shiners.

That epic bruise didn't go away for a month but both she and everyone else never bothered to get on my bad side again.

The best thing about the incident was that as school was officially ver and we we'rent in the schoolyard at the time, I didn't get into trouble.
I DID get a half-hearted lecture from my teacher about how violence never solves anything but I just rolled my eyes and bluntly told her that if the school had acted to my cries for help in the first place, I wouldn't have had to punch someone to get them to stop bullying me.

She was left speachless after that! XD

Nowadays, everytime I see Lisa out and about, I've noticed that she keeps her head down around me and has that look of a dog who just crapped on the carpet and got a huge smack with a rolled up newspaper.

I know it's wrong but I can't help but smirk at that.

I'd post about the evil soul-sucking succubus that is my 8th and 9th grade Home Economics teacher but it's currently 5am and this post is big enough as it is!

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2008, 4:00 pm

My fifth grade teacher at the school for the gifted was one of those rigid people who don't understand how someone who is good at something besides math could be considered talented. We were actually forbidden to use metaphors and similes in speech. I remember when a curly-haired boy once said that it helped him to think of geometrical rays as being like the rays of the sun. He was given detention for using "imprecise speech."

She was also Jewish and was very suspicious of all gentiles, which was bad for me.