Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 2:44 am

I spoke to someone I met online not all that long ago who has AS, and his view was that they should give you a trophy when you are diagnosed! He thought it was the best thing in the world to be. Obviously very proud :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 5:11 am

This is a popular thread. :roll:

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 6:43 am

I haven't noticed the term NT being used as an insult. Yeah, frustration with NTs is sometimes expressed. But I don't think the term is any more an insult than the term "men" if I complain about the problems with men.

Someone being proud to be aspie is not the same as someone who's deaf who's proud to be deaf and opposed to cochlear implants. Being deaf, that's simply a lack. Being aspie, though, is a set of both strengths and weaknesses. Why would one want to give up those strengths.

In both cases, though, it's part of who you are.

Q
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2008, 3:00 pm

I am proud to spot things where no other Mind can.

I am proud to create works of art.

I am proud of my knowledge.

I am proud to be an Aspie.

I think differently, and in some cases, better, then my Peers. I hold no grudge, and I am always emotionally detached.

Savants have been proven to have AS, be it in a more wild form then most of us have.

ablomov
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2008, 4:57 pm

I cope - thats all. Its generally a curse to me.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 11:47 pm

Q wrote:
I am proud to spot things where no other Mind can.

I am proud to create works of art.

I am proud of my knowledge.

I am proud to be an Aspie.

I think differently, and in some cases, better, then my Peers. I hold no grudge, and I am always emotionally detached.

Savants have been proven to have AS, be it in a more wild form then most of us have.

This is unrelated, but Q is the best letter of the alphabet. In my opinion.

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2008, 12:29 pm

StrawberryJam wrote:
im proud of anything that makes me different. im proud of my blue hair, im proud of how i can mismatch my clothing and still have it look good, im proud of my platform boots and how they look with that one skirt, im proud of my kinda-strange musical tastes that not many people ive met so far have heard of, im proud of my bass-playing, my violin-playing, the other instruments i play, and my ability to absorb knowledge like a sponge (the bands ive been in are proud of my knowledge absorption too :wink: really helps when deadlines are close lol) i see AS as just another trait of myself, and its not very common. also, knowing whats wrong and where its coming from actually helps me fix it. in fact, knowing the different traits of Asperger;s has helped me actually fix a few things (cant fix a problem when you dont know its a problem) such as the tone of voice being incorrect, or my wording makes me seem pompous.

I'm proud of my book log (about 400 books in three years). I'm proud of my big, shining eyes, another happy genetic accident. I'm proud of being gay. I'm proud of having had to teach myself empathy and other higher emotions; because I struggled for them, I value them and use them more. I'm proud that I know enough about myself to fix my own problems sometimes. I'm proud of my writing talent and my ideas. I'm the "ideas" person.