People react when I don't show body language.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LCD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2008, 10:22 am

I've noticed that people react when I don't show any body language, as though they find it as a strength.
I just behaave the way I feel but don't react to other people, often in a gaze and internal thoughts.
If someone looks at me I just look away but apparently don't show any signs or alterations in facial expressions.
People tell me that I have control over my body language or have a stable personality, often seen as a strength.
I tell them I don't react to other people becuase they have no affect on me, although if they look at me I just look away and ignore them.
I've began to notice that people do notice that I don't interact physically, and take it as bizarre and puzzling.

I don't have any value for myself and feel no weakness, so if someone looks at me I don't feel threatened, they are just looking at me.Then perhaps this is what it is and not anything to do with Autism.

Do you notice the same thing?

I'm an undiagnosed aspie but this has seperated me from NT's by a hugh distance and explains why I'm often left alone, an unsolvable puzzle, like my mother.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 10:26 am

I find people have a tendency to interpret my lack of emotion as anger which I find quite bizarre and confusing. I'm rarely angry but I'm quite impassive and highly alert.

LCD
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Aug 2008, 10:58 am

I do keep myself undercontrol and do see myself in the place of the universe, more mature than my age perhaps. I've noticed that NT's are very conscious of other people and show it. I'm perhaps conscious but don't show it, but I do have control of myself and know myself well, including other things.

StrawberryJam
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2008, 11:27 am

alot of people also assume lack of emotion as sadness :/ cant tell you how often people ask me if somethings wrong... and complete strangers too

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2008, 1:28 pm

You too huh? I've had people ask me to smile and why do I look sad. I'm usually simply trying to cover up the stress I feel as a result of being out in public. Especially if I don't have a "safe person" with me.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 2:21 pm

yeah when i was at schol peopl ewould constantly come up to me and ask "whats wrong" they interpreted the look on my face as sadness.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2008, 3:58 pm

My lack of body language appears to people as an indication of discomfort or nervousness. This is what people always tell me.

I wish I could change it so that I would appear relaxed when I am. I'm a very laid-back person and I rarely feel tense or nervous, so I wish my body language could reflect this. But it is something over which I have no control.

BeeBee23
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2008, 5:20 pm

My expression is neutral 90% of the time. One time a random stranger in the street yelled at me to smile because 'worse things could happen'
Just because I don't walk around town looking like a grinning idiot doesn't mean I am not content!! I wanted to lie to him and tell him someone had died, just to make him feel bad for embarrassing me.