Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:30 am

Flakey just got a white noise generator....he says it helps with drowning out the traffic and constant train noise....There are several different settings....whooosh white noise...or seagulls....or..um human heartbeat..or rain...etc....he keeps it on the plain white noise...which I guess is just supposed to sound like a whoooooooosh......and he drifts off like a baby.....

However.....I am hyper aware of the sounds of the machine making the sound.....and I can't sleep at all...there is this subliminal little series of beeps the machine makes and that is all I can focus on and my multilayered mind is stuck in this repetative loop of wondering if the beeps are part of the intended function of the machine..or is it all in my head....and then I am hyper aware of all these other tiny sounds

anyone else have similar problems with white noise generators...

I am more comfortable with natural sounds...because I know where they are coming from....I am much more inclined to sleep with trains every hour and diesel trucks every 5 minutes....than this artifical loop cycle noise...

why does the machine generate these little repetative torture beeps?
why can i hear them but Flakey cant?
am I losing my mind?
gee I should listen to more Motorhead....

(these are the kinds of thoughts that repeat themselves over and over in my head while I am not-sleeping and listening to the white noise whooooooshhhhhhhhh (bip bip beeeep.....in my pillow....)

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:35 am

The only white noise I need is one of those box fans or the air conditioner. I really LOVE the sound of a box fan and cannot sleep without one unless the AC is on; which reminds me, I need to get a new box fan before winter. I notice the box fan drowns out all other sounds.

I realize this is off topic...just thought I would let everyone know my results with box fans as a white noise source.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 21 Aug 2008, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:37 am

I like the sound of just the fan...or even the sound the computer makes....

i feel sorta interfered with by this machine that is made to artificially generate these kinds of sounds

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

I don't know if I could sleep with heart beats or seagull noises. I don't do well sleeping to the sound of rain either. All those noises, to me, are why I need white noise to drown out other sounds.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 10:16 am

I dislike white noise and yes as I listen to it I hear rings, beeps and whistles.

The worst is when the sound man hits you with 10000 watts of it while your halfway up a ladder hanging lamps in front of the speaker stack :shaking2:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:52 am

I like white noise. In college, it helped drown out the noise from my dormmates.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:05 pm

i finally got to sleep, and I had interesting and unusal dreams...about a documentary about elderly people being kicked out of a rooming house because it was being shut down...

so...maybe the generator thingy is not so bad...after a while the beeps stopped..so i don't know if that was in the machine or my head.

Magliabechi
Toucan
Toucan

21 Aug 2008, 12:10 pm

I usually listen to Radio 3 to help me get to sleep- otherwise ( as my apartment is in a city centre ) I have the raucous sounds of late night drinkers in the streets below. I leave the radio on a ninety minute timer so that it turns itself off after I am asleep, as if it is left on all night it reduces the quality of my sleep.

Magliabechi.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 12:39 pm

We use a box fan because it just sounds more organic than a white noise generator. I can't sleep without it.

However, I HATE white noise while I'm awake. I shut that thing off as soon as I wake up, and I can't stand being in a room with fans or vents going, or at work, the constant noise of construction equipment outsides.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 1:06 pm

Funny, I detest white noise.
It's as overwhelming (if not more) than an angry baby screaming.

And as for going to sleep to it.

I can't take ANY kind of noise if I'm trying to sleep.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 2:16 pm

I need some sort of sound to sleep as well.

As others have stated I prefer box fans (what is it about the noise they make?) but I'm ok with a few other things.

Unfortunately hubby doesn't understand that I specify "box fan" because of the specific sound it makes and not just any fan will do (high velocity ones just annoy me).

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 2:20 pm

I make my own white-noise generators out of reverse-biased zener diodes or PNP emitter-base junctions. When properly amplified, filtered, and modulated, the sounds can come close to nearly any random-pulse audio signal such as wind, rain, waterfalls, and ocean waves.

The commercially-built models are okay too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Since
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 3:08 pm

You can get white-noise generators? That aren't just radios tuned to no station?
Thinking about it, I tend to listen to people talking to get to sleep; mostly BBC World Service. I wonder if that counts.

Gabbaruchi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2008, 3:17 pm

The reason this disturbs some of us (myself included) is because cheap white noise generators don't actually play white noise; they play a short, looped recording of white noise. Those of us with enhanced pattern detection pick up on the loop very quickly, and then it becomes repetitive and irritating. I bought a cheap white-noise machine several years ago, and the only setting on it I can stand is "ocean waves", because natural surf is a repetitive sound already and for some reason, even though I can hear the loop, it doesn't bother me. Like most of you, though, I usually just make do with a box fan.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:06 pm

The best white noise in the world is when you lay down in a tub that is filling with water and submerge your ears hearing the sound underwater. I have downloaded a short clip of white noise on my computer and know how to make it repeat over and over without hearing that pause every time it begins again. When I turn it on, I listen through large padded earphones that cover my ears. What I would like is a nice white noise machine with a socket to plug in my earphones. It helps me to concentrate. But I have not been able to find one.

I don't use white noise to try and sleep. I use soft earplugs to help shut out distractions.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:07 am

Gabbaruchi wrote:
The reason this disturbs some of us (myself included) is because cheap white noise generators don't actually play white noise; they play a short, looped recording of white noise. Those of us with enhanced pattern detection pick up on the loop very quickly, and then it becomes repetitive and irritating. I bought a cheap white-noise machine several years ago, and the only setting on it I can stand is "ocean waves", because natural surf is a repetitive sound already and for some reason, even though I can hear the loop, it doesn't bother me. Like most of you, though, I usually just make do with a box fan.

Yep...there is something very fragmented about that sound...and I imagine the sound as being sorta particalised....there are just too many things going on....