Can a CT scan reveal autism or Asperger's Syndrome?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spacedoubt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jul 2008, 6:27 pm

CMaximus wrote:
I've heard an EEG can show which areas of the brain are activated when you do something, and so they compare the activity relative to normal functioning. Sometimes with ASDs, the activity will be more disparate or in another area(s) altogether depending on what you're asked to do.

By the way, are EEGs stills or real-time?

It's real time. I didn't know that could find anythinig but a seizure activity.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 7:01 pm

Spacedoubt wrote:
CMaximus wrote:
I've heard an EEG can show which areas of the brain are activated when you do something, and so they compare the activity relative to normal functioning. Sometimes with ASDs, the activity will be more disparate or in another area(s) altogether depending on what you're asked to do.

By the way, are EEGs stills or real-time?

It's real time. I didn't know that could find anythinig but a seizure activity.

It can find a lot of different abnormalities, some of which they know the meaning of and some of which they don't.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2008, 5:13 am

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that.

I know a guy diagnosed with AS who went and got a SPECT scan and they told him he had to be a drug addict because of his scan results. He had never done illegal drugs, or even mild legal drugs or strong prescription psych drugs, he was one of those completely straitlaced guys and he'd never been in treatment for ADD or anything. So basically, he kept insisting he'd never done drugs, and they kept insisting he did.

They know some tendencies for what the SPECT scan will show, but no absolutes. A few people trying to make money have exaggerated their certainty as to what it shows. And made a ton of money.

Here's what's said here:

Actually; whilst the SPECT scan can detect Aspergers - it all depends on what the doctor\technician, etc., decides they see.

williamgeo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2008, 11:05 pm

The purpose of this group is to collaboratively learn about and explore our understanding of autism. Additionally, we discuss possibilities for future research. We have been considering an expanded model of the nature of autism that regards autism as being influenced by a combination of environmental and genetic factors interacting with multiple body systems. Contributing factors which are being considered in our discussion group include (but are not limited to): genetic, neurobiological, metabolic, immune, gastrointestinal and environmental factors.
--------------------
williamgeorge

williamgeo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2008, 11:06 pm

You will need to log in with your raisingkids username and password.

williamgeo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

its good and to have to add in this community

williamgeo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

Really nice and good experience in this field

williamgeo
Emu Egg