RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2008, 3:43 pm

I get along fine with babies and children as long as they are:

1. Well-fed
2. Clean
3. Happy

But as soon as they get hungry, dirty, cranky and tired - back to Mommy and Daddy!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 3:48 pm

I get along with them really well, I think I have a similar way of looking at the world. I actually tutor special-needs kids at the moment.

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2008, 4:31 pm

I'm pretty god with kids. It's going 2 be with them in my career (play therapy).

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2008, 4:57 pm

children seem to looove me, i get stared at alll the time, but i still not the best on how to socialize and play with children. two or so weeks ago we were volunteering for house of hope through interfaith at our church and there was a family with a little girl who wanted to play volleyball so i said sure, when we went outside i threw the ball in the air and hit it, she giggled and ran after it, i literally paid no attention to her lol, she was mesmorized by ball going in the air, and when it reached me i hit it very hard flew past her, i would get it, hit it in the air, then she would hit, but i never once looked at her. She ended stopping the whole thing i guess because i seemed more interested in the ball rather then her lol idk lol. Kids flock to me though, some even look down on me and act like i'm younger then them its funny lol. Other then that i love kids, i hope one day i can be an amazing mother!

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 10:15 am

I love kids. I can interact with kids better then people my own age. I've got a good imagination, which works well with kids because I can tell stories, or play pretend-games rather easily.

I tend to get along slightly better with boys, though. I dunno why. :D

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2008, 2:14 pm

I'm not crazy about kids. I don't really hate them, but I don't like them either. And if I'm at a family event or something and have to be around them, I never know what to do with them.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 2:21 pm

I find children quite terrifying for a number of reasons. They are loud, boistrous and unpredictable. I don't get along with kids well (never know what to say) because I was a 'weird' child and so have never seen the world as a neurotypical child. I get along best with people older than me.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2008, 7:47 am

anbuend wrote:
If there's any age group at all I interact the best with, it's babies. I've always been that way and I don't know why. And parents have spontaneously told me they've never seen their babies react as well to a new person as they do to me, so apparently it's not my imagination.

Yeah, same here. A lot of times when I would be sitting on a bus or at a school function, and there was a baby or young kid nearby, they seem to gravitate toward me, and a lot of times toddlers will walk over to me until their parents bring them back, and they react a lot to changes in my facial expression and what direction I'm looking.

When I was 12 I did tutoring for an 8-year-old girl, and we seemed to get along pretty well. Also the child of a friend of my mom's, from when he was a baby to a young child we interacted a fair few times, and I seemed to be able to relate well. I still look at the world, in terms of visual perception at least, as I did when I was 4 or younger. I often see things closer to the perspectives of children than adults around me.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

coregazer
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 8:00 am

i absolutely hate kids. they're scary, anoying and... they just make me really anxious. sorry to say but kinds arn't my thing. i dread to think what'll happen when i get older -_-

Xanderbeanz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:08 am

if kids are mean to me i might get flashbacks about school etc, so i try to stay away.x

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:24 am

Sora wrote:
How does everyone else get along with children (under the age of 10)?

I'm surprised at how well I get along with children in my job. I had no prior experiences with children. I figured I'd be horrid because everybody is talking about how experience with children and learning methods to treat them is of utmost importance (I had none of that). But I naturally get along very well with all children, so with both the regular ed and the special ed children.

I get along with some ok. Others, I can't stand! I only tried a few times, and decided not to do it again. So what kind of job do you have?

Sky
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Sep 2008, 5:49 pm

I find children, especially small children, very unpleasant. When I am walking down the street and see them ahead of me or if I get on an elevator with children in it, I cringe and always say to myself, "I just know one of them is going to get too close and brush up against me," which invariably happens. They also never fail to stare at me, right in the eye. All in all a complete invasion of personal space. This is purely a gut reaction though, on an intellectual level I don't blame them for being children and would never wish any harm...they can just be fingernails on a blackboard for me.