Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

namariel
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2008, 10:16 am

I am told that I behave 'very weird' in public, but that I seem normal at home. Is anyone else told this, or is your behavior more consistent?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:28 am

my only flatmate is my dog and he often seems puzzled by the way I behave at home ;p

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:36 am

I fake being normal in public, but at home I'm pretty autistic.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:39 am

I'm much more attention-seeking in public.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:41 am

Are you sure the dog looks puzzled when they have no real facial emotions :D

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:46 am

when i was younger, yes. it seems that there are "public" manners that must be followed when not in/surrounded by "home". you can be who you are at home, but you have to conform when outside of that space.

i just memorized them. it was easier that way.

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 10:47 am

I feel the same way. I can do anything freely in my home ,but I act like a freak in public.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:50 am

No I behave perfectly normal in public but at home, thats another story all together

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 10:53 am

My dog was always puzzled by my natural set of reactions to things too.

She was adopted by me when she was two years old, so she already had a lot of experience with other people. And she was so completely standard-non-autistic-social and so tuned in to those particular mannerisms and stuff.

She was nervous around me because I was unpredictable. If I did my best to exaggerate my emotions and stuff, she responded a good deal better. This mirrored my first experiences raising a puppy, where a psychologist actually taught me the intonations/mannerisms/etc associated with "normal" people, as a way of teaching me how to communicate with a dog who was baffled by my natural behavior (and who would not listen to me at all unless I put on an act for her).

And the newer dog was no exception to this. It actually got exhausting, because the moment I was no longer able to sustain dog-type emotional expression, she'd get nervous (she was a very nervous dog in general, anything she considered out of the ordinary, frightened her, but she utterly loved people and other dogs).

The only part of my natural behavior that she understood right away was hand-flapping, she'd wag her tail in response. :)

But definitely it's easy to tell if a dog is nervous once you know what to look for because of how they act. It's not mostly on their face. I've read that for most people, reading dog emotions is quite possibly programmed into their instincts, because humans and dogs have evolved together for so long. (It certainly was never instinctive for me, though, I had to be taught dog expressions one by one. Cats were easy though.)

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

I act the same in both places, but at home I am more accepted.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 11:15 am

Keith wrote:
Are you sure the dog looks puzzled when they have no real facial emotions :D

he usually pays no attention to me unless he's hungry/wants to pee/wants to cuddle. he definately pays a lot of attention to my unusual behaviours though (stares at me wide-eyed and sneezes like mad). all his previous pet humans must have been pretty normal ;p

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 12:36 pm

I act weird at home and in public but I tend to get really nervous and stressed out in public so that might be why. I'm also quieter in public. I hardly ever talk to people outside my home unless I know them. I think most people are like that anyways; I am just more extreme.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 1:31 pm

I am much more relaxed at home.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 1:45 pm

Yeah. Cats are easy for me too. I hear NTs complaining about their cats all the time, along the lines of "I'm sitting there petting him and all of a sudden he bites me!" Yeah, and if you were actually listening to what he was saying, you'd have stopped with the overstimulation ages ago... One of my cats actually seems to be sensitive in the same way that Aspies are sensitive to sensory input. (Most cats are sensitive. This one, more so.) The other day there were some roofers putting shingles on a house down the street, and he and I were getting annoyed and tense in just about perfect synchrony. Poor cat... can't wear earphones like I can.

I act more autistic at home, but if I get nervous in public, the NT act vanishes like fog in the sun...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2008, 1:52 pm

On good days, I'm good in public and I hold it in until I get home and revel in it. On bad days, I'm absolutely bats___ in public and I'm very relaxed when I get home.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2008, 2:01 pm

Quote:
I am told that I behave 'very weird' in public, but that I seem normal at home

I'm the oppsite. I try to act as "normal" as possible in public and around other people, and I think this is why people seem to not believe me when I mention my AS, but at home, I'm much more relaxed about my AS and don't hide it,