Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 4:09 pm

why is it that doctors always have to tell you that you are depressed and never ask you and when you try to tell them that you are not depressed they refuse to beleive you

i mean i am the one who should know if i am depressed and not you deciding i am so try shutting up and listening once in a while doc

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:13 pm

yeah, that's the stereotype and it applies. I've been to numerous shrinks too and every time I mentioned my sensory issues they all asked if I was sexually abused by some uncle in childhood. how stereotypical is that? LOL

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:14 pm

LOL how true..

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 4:17 pm

they also keep trying to say i was sexually or other kind of abuse and they have never been able to prove it and i keep trying to say that never happened but my mom also keeps saying i was abused so they keep saying i must have been even when there is no proof that i was

doc...get a life and if the patient says nothing happened then the patient should know better than those who was never there

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 4:28 pm

yeah but it's true that some people out there are very much in denial. I had a great childhood tho and my dad was the greatest guy ever, never really had any uncles so I get very, very angry when I hear that shrink-talk ;p

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 5:50 pm

anna-banana wrote:
every time I mentioned my sensory issues they all asked if I was sexually abused by some uncle in childhood. how stereotypical is that? LOL

Gawd. I hate that. Shrinks have never done it, but when I tell people that I need more 'personal space' and don't like to be touched, leaned over, or stood behind, they very often come up with this theory that I was sexually abused. Leaving me going, "Uh, no, and even if I was, mentioning it is awfully forward of you." Then they tell me I'm blocking the memory of this traumatic event.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 5:53 pm

i think that they want you to be abused so they can make the case against aspergers or autism because they are so against it they want you to never get the help you really need

alien842
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2008, 7:21 pm

It's very annoying, especially the depression thing. My guess would be that they're getting paid by the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe pills, especially antidepressants. I wish everyone was able to speak up and take charge of their own health and be taken seriously by their doctors.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

Or, if you tell them some of your symptoms, and they automatically decide it's because your mother was distant and unloving. My old therapist did this when I talked about not liking too much touch, and I was thinking, wtf, I thought we were beyond the whole refrigerator mom myth.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

you can speak up all you want but if the doctors refuse to listen to anything that is not what they want to hear then you only get nowhere

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

Sounds like you need a new doctor:)

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 7:30 pm

i tried every doctor in my area and they all beleive that doctors can do no wrong and so every lie that gets put in my records stays there and i am not able to find a doctor that is willing to start over and not force me to let them have the old records because i tried not letting them have them and then they just say that they are not able to help me if i am not willing to give them the old records so it is impossible to get away from all the things they decide i should be

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 7:36 pm

Just sneak into the office, get the old records and destroy them, hee-hee...

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Sep 2008, 8:27 pm

I can totally agree with you! Everytime I went to see my doctor he always focus on my depression.

I have to tell him that it is the disease makes me down, please pay more attention to my social problems. I know if someone salve my problem I won't be depressed anymore.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2008, 8:48 pm

Jamieq, Clinics cannot keep the records if you request them. Tell them you do not want a copy, you want the records. If they say no, a lawyer will get them released. And destroying them is your perogitive.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2008, 8:52 pm

in my state the laws are backward and you are not allowed to get a lawyer for anything unless it is criminal or you are suing for something worth at least a million dollars

also i have no way to pay for a lawyer since i am living on disability and i do not have the couple hundred thousand i would need for the retainer if my records would be worth a million dollars to get past the it is not worth it story

maybe i need to move to another state and just do not let the new doctors know where i lived before