Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dosh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2008, 8:05 am

Has anyone ever attended a course in social skills for people with AS? If so, did you find it effective? Also, why do you think it was or wasn't effective?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 8:37 am

I have attended one, and it helped me a lot. :)

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:04 am

I attended social groups when I was quite young but not sure if those really helped me much. I think what had helped me was making one good friend in grade 8 (even though everyone else pretty much picked on me) and we did hang out a lot outside of school (she lived on my street which made things convenient) and I learned a lot from her.

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2008, 2:24 pm

dosh wrote:
Has anyone ever attended a course in social skills for people with AS? If so, did you find it effective? Also, why do you think it was or wasn't effective?

I have attended but the social skills course is of little use as an adult having learned social skills after finishing university. I have developed because I am not studying because I found education stressful. As a child it would have been very useful to learn social skills. My AS is very mild so I cannot speak for everyone.

HolyDiver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

learn them when you are young. Have your children learn them when they are young. They will help you tremendously. People don't even know that I am an aspie. I make full eye contact, pick up on body language, pick up on tones, and can pick up on sarcasm easily at the same rate as neurotypicals can. I can blend in as one of the guys (except that I am a bit of a light weight when it comes to alcohol). They probably suspect that I'm not your everyday guy (but then again, neither is Robin Williams or Eddie Izzard). Then again, I am a musician, so it's a requirement to be "a little out there" :lol:

When you are first learning the skills at the young age, it's harder because you have to think about what body language or tone to use or what to do and what not to do. It's like learning an instrument. Soon enough, it becomes second nature, though you still have to think about it just a little. I get through the day just fine.