Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 7:46 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
I want a wing chun dummy.

The dummy is one of the advance level disciplines. Although we have some be taught some moves in the dummy. Technically all the basic moves are in the forms but the dummy is a refinement exercise to heighten impact/emphasis, responsiveness, and probably other stuff that I haven't learnt yet.

they're great for body toughening.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 8:00 pm

Sedaka wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
I want a wing chun dummy.

The dummy is one of the advance level disciplines. Although we have some be taught some moves in the dummy. Technically all the basic moves are in the forms but the dummy is a refinement exercise to heighten impact/emphasis, responsiveness, and probably other stuff that I haven't learnt yet.

they're great for body toughening.

they are also to improve sensitivity. If you see them hitting them hard it looks like they are just whacking them, when they are practicing the emphasis or the point at which the power is turned on and off. This after they have already mastered speed and responsiveness.

They do sometimes chain punch the solid trunk like 100 times in succession, that is part of iron fist training rather then dummy. Iron fist is simply gradually changing the structure of the bone in the fist and forearm so they are more solid/dense with less inclusions, you start with mung beans or similar in a bag, and work you way of with something harder each time. Maybe they could do a similar thing for osteoporosis. I know that shaolin do iron neck training. Now that is just mental.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 9:12 pm

Yea, our Sensei also teaches Hakutsuru which has really fast hand work and we practice lots of speed drills.

When I lived in SC, I was the weirdo walkin down the street kicking the palm trees. My shins have lots of divets.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

Jeno
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2008, 11:47 pm

Sedaka wrote:
Yea, our Sensei also teaches Hakutsuru which has really fast hand work and we practice lots of speed drills.

When I lived in SC, I was the weirdo walkin down the street kicking the palm trees. My shins have lots of divets.

Le Weirdo you are speaking of was probably a Muay Thai practitioner. My master/instructor used to kick concrete beams whenever someone doubted the potential of the 'shin kick' :D

I kick the sides of abandoned houses occasionally. My shin kicks are capable of Shin lock paralysis and fracturing Tibia ^_^

Speaking of Paralysis, nothing more vital to diffusing aggressive situations than sequence strike nerve paralysis techniques.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 5:50 am

Funny you say that Jeno. Wing chun doesn't kill the nerves in the shins like Muay Thai. However there is a simple kick (I'm not even sure I'd even call it that) just using the side of your shoe on the shin. It is a really simple way of getting someone to step back. It is not really in the main arsenal just one of the titbits you pick up. When they do it on me they always ask me if I had done other martial arts, due to nerve killing. But I haven't, I've just never been sensitive to being kicked the in the shins. Maybe I did knock into thing a lot when I was a kid.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 6:02 am

Sedaka wrote:

They do pretty similar type training. Although in the Ip Ching demonstration, that is really beyond speed training. He is deliberately going quite slow just focusing on the inch energy/emphasis whatever you want to call it. When you combine these two things it is pretty awesome.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2008, 7:03 am

i did karate and TKD, thinking about doing BJJ/MMA

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 7:29 am

Jeno wrote:
Sedaka wrote:

Le Weirdo you are speaking of was probably a Muay Thai practitioner. My master/instructor used to kick concrete beams whenever someone doubted the potential of the 'shin kick' :D

I kick the sides of abandoned houses occasionally. My shin kicks are capable of Shin lock paralysis and fracturing Tibia ^_^

Speaking of Paralysis, nothing more vital to diffusing aggressive situations than sequence strike nerve paralysis techniques.

My sensei doesn't teach that, but we definitely have people in our organization who practice it... it's a mean ( :D ) style.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 2:10 pm

Sedaka wrote:
Yeah, that's a pretty sweet irimi nage by my Sensei (Suenaka).

edit: nvm

Huh. In my dojo we call that sumi otoshi. :D
Nice, clean high fall.
I've trained in Aikido for about eight years now, and it has helped me in most of the ways described in the OP. In addition, I would add that it's helped me to tolerate being touched by other people, and to learn the difference between aggressive and unaggressive touches and body language. It has helped me to be far more comfortable with myself and with other people, and more alert (but less fearful!) in general.