Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 5:51 pm

words especially. Graphic black-and-white. Like something out of a really dull Sesame Street...

17 Sep 2008, 7:00 pm

Numbers, yes. Words yes and I see pictures along with them.

AgentCROCODILE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2008, 7:00 pm

Yes; particularly years and numbers. Often strangely the boot screens for "Windows NT Workstation" and "OS/2 Warp" pop into my head occasionally when I'm not thinking anything in particular, and I often find strange patterns in tiles where I write the imaginary letters "NT" based on the framework of the tile grouts

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:21 pm

What do you mean, "see"?

Like say, if someone says go to 11th street (for something) I am likely to picture the entire 11th street sign in that location and what grasses are sprouting from its base and what building structures are around it on the other 4 corners and what the weather looked like that day when I had the origional or noteworthy memory to look at it, at whatever time in the past, that it was written to memory.

I am not going to just see '11'

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

AgentCROCODILE
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2008, 8:23 pm

When you hear a word, such as "noo-mono-ultrah-mie-crow-skoh-pik-sih-lih-koe-vole-cane-oe-coe-nie-oe-siss", you actually see the word in your head (in the example above, you would see the word "PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS" in your head)

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:34 pm

Yes, then, but lightly. Not screaming like that Michael J Fox movie where people who were about to die had, say, a bold glowing red 14 on their forehead.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

heyjude
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Sep 2008, 4:01 am

Yes, I don't always "get" puns easily if the two words involved are spelt differently because I can "see" that they're not the same word. When I was very little, I thought of numbers and days of the week as having personalities and colours and things. Apart from 7 being Australian and Thursday being very gallant with a big plumed hat I can't remember any properly. These ideas weren't from a book or anything, just in my head. I thought for the longest time that everyone saw that stuff.

ryry85
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2008, 6:32 am

yeah everything comes up as a picture

ASandproud
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2008, 7:34 am

Yeah, like a series of blocks, different colours for different months etc.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 7:59 am

donkey wrote:
ok look up wiki, the word gestalt.

I already inderstand what that means.

Quote:
when i say appear.....i link many different things together, symbols and then i tend to "get" an overall picture that materialises.

so the symbols i have linked together make something, a picture which isnt in my memory or mind.

does this make sense?
such a fascinating topic so hard to explain verbally.

That sounds interesting, although I was more getting at what the primary medium of thoughts are not how you derive meaning and whether it is cryptic or not. It is visual as I thought. You probably do most of you thinking like this so it didn't occur to you to make this deduction.

I cannot picture therefore I cannot have thought like you do or any the poster here do. I can not have thought in sound either. My thoughts are also gestalt like but I'm not aware of anything appearing or a thought process as such. It is probably difficult for you to comprehend. I have a hard enough time understanding it myself. That is because I’m detached form my thoughts call it ‘black box’ thinking if you like.

From my experience of surveying and discussing this, most people especially ‘NTs’ think primarily in visuals. Also most are able to achieve photographic quality (which is isn’t as remarkable as people make out) There are exceptions where the there thoughts are mostly in sounds. I don’t know if there are any that are primarily in tactile feeling or something.

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2008, 8:32 am

[quote="heyjude"]Yes, I don't always "get" puns easily if the two words involved are spelt differently because I can "see" that they're not the same word.quote]

Puns don't have to involve the same word or homophones. For instance: the witch watch joke. And I can get puns involving homophones, even though I can see the words spelled differently.

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2008, 9:05 am

Does anyone think that seeing words makes insults bother them more as they can actually "see" the words used for the insult?

MSO1729
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Sep 2008, 10:37 am

Whenever discussing a particular month, I see all the months at once, laid out on a line (which forms a figure 8 on its side, for some reason), and the month being discussed is always written bigger.

No idea why.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 11:30 am

Yes, I'm pretty sure I see numbers. I know I see words when they are said all of the time. It's like there's a script in front of my eyes.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

CGstucknthe80s
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2008, 7:08 pm

I definately do see dates and years (I'm deeply into dates and years) and also associate colors with them, including years individually, like 1981 would be light artic blue and 1986 would be black/orange/navy blue like the NY Mets team colors (I do mostly multiple colors in my associations)

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:36 pm

I am thinking of a number...topic

Before computers and Internet, I could not much see an advantage to being visual. So much was auditory and sequenced logic. Visual was reading books and viewing static images. Now, my strong skills can be utilized in a variety of dynamic media, and I can think more clearly than ever before.

Technology is a boon for many Autistics. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo