Sometimes do you want to be like them(NTs), why?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Aguila
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2008, 6:42 pm

I still have not figured out the quote thing... :x

EDIT: thanks for telling me

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:44 pm

Sometimes I wish I was more NT, so I could be better in social skills. I sometimes wish I could go with the flow more.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:45 pm

Just click on the little bubble that says quote on the top right hand side of the post you want to quote.

I'm glad you're having an experience of NTs that's so much better than my own, BTW.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Oct 2008, 7:58 pm

Nope. I'd still dress weird. Or do something else weird. Oh well. Be happy with yourself. No point in wishing for an instant brain rewiring. Enjoy your super AS powers.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2008, 8:07 pm

Aguila wrote:
I think that the NTs that I bother to actually get to know are nice, caring, unselfish, intelligent, very creative imaginations, polite, friendly, and are very good people as far as I am concerned. There are not just few exceptions but many. I do know some NTs like that though, I would add annoying to the list.

I'm glad to hear that you have had such good experiences with NTs Aguila. Unfortunately, some of us have not been that lucky :cry: . I have had NT friends over the years with the characteristics you describe, but it has been very difficult for me to actually find such people. Of course, there are plenty of NTs who are very adept at PRETENDING to be like this.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:13 pm

I have never desired to be like them but I have desired them to be like me ^_^

SoulDriven
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2008, 8:48 pm

Taly wrote:
SoulDriven wrote:
I thought that I was NT until this week. Surprise! :lol:

How did you find that?

Evaluated by a psychologist.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:53 pm

I just found out last night. Same way!
...though I didn't really think I was an NT, i just wasn't sure whether or not I was an aspie...I thought I was a low-functioning socially inept ADDer with aspie traits or possibly PDD-NOS....but nope....the lady said..definitely Aspie...

anywhoo..i would like to be able to do things like drive a car and understand the subtle nuances of social interraction...I would like to be able to organize my stuff or not have such a drive to collect the things that I do...and then possibly mantian a more spartan existance...I like to be able to not take jokes so literally..even when I know better..and that they are just jokes....I would like to not have such a thin skin...I would like to be able to not always feel so seperate from everybody...stuff like that.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 11:01 pm

Sometimes I get those thoughts, but they pass. I'm pretty much set in my ways as an Aspie.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 11:05 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I just found out last night. Same way!
...though I didn't really think I was an NT, i just wasn't sure whether or not I was an aspie...I thought I was a low-functioning socially inept ADDer with aspie traits or possibly PDD-NOS....but nope....the lady said..definitely Aspie...

anywhoo..i would like to be able to do things like drive a car and understand the subtle nuances of social interraction...I would like to be able to organize my stuff or not have such a drive to collect the things that I do...and then possibly mantian a more spartan existance...I like to be able to not take jokes so literally..even when I know better..and that they are just jokes....I would like to not have such a thin skin...I would like to be able to not always feel so seperate from everybody...stuff like that.

Congratulations on getting a diagnosis and not having to wonder anymore. We're lucky to have you in the community :D

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:19 am

there is times i want to be lioke them or wonder what it would have been like had i not had AS/.. however, why would u want to be the same as everyone else?
that is boring and we are all individial people regardless of labels... how boring would the world be if everyone was the same?
Yes sometimes i think my life would have been better if i had been NT
but i do not know this
x x x x

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:20 am

Never!

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 12:31 pm

For me, if I had the choice to be NT or to have an ASD, it would be a catch 22. I mean, I have a lot of qualities that I really like about myself, and I find that very few NT's genuinely have those qualities. I wouldn't want to be an NT if it meant loosing those things about myself. On the other hand, I feel that there are certain things in life that would make me happy(ier), and without them I am not nearly as happy as I could be. And they feel either outright unattainable, or almost completely out of reach, due to I think the socially limiting aspects of having an ASD.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 12:50 pm

I used to want to be like NT's. But the older I get, the less I feel that way. I've become more accepting of myself and the way I am, and that there's nothing that can be done about it. Even if there was, I wouldn't do it. I like being the way I am. NT's with kids on the spectrum like to act horrified and shocked when I say that. :evil: I find their reactions telling.

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2008, 6:27 pm

AngryReptileKeeper wrote:
I used to want to be like NT's. But the older I get, the less I feel that way. I've become more accepting of myself and the way I am, and that there's nothing that can be done about it.

I've heard it said that it becomes harder to change yourself as you age; specifically that it's unwise to try after age 25 - You'd be wasting your energy. Not only that, but it seems ungrateful to mother nature (who has no way of avoiding mistakes) or what-have-you to carry on like the bad-tempered kid who always wants more - In this case, more SELF. God knows what 'karma' I built up during my many years spent on 'self-transformation' to the exclusion of anything useful :o

For me, the truth is that we are just less complex than NTs, but that it's best for us not to dwell on the difference. An aspie friend of mine is so confident that he's able to get any girl he wants; if he was able to apprehend how much less he has than others, maybe he wouldn't get along so well.

AngryReptileKeeper wrote:
Even if there was, I wouldn't do it. I like being the way I am. NT's with kids on the spectrum like to act horrified and shocked when I say that.

I guess that's because it's dawning on them that their own kids will have to feel the same way if they're to contribute anything to society. It would be easier on everyone, least of all the people I see here who HAVE to develop a case of sour grapes just to get by, if no-one had to be born autistic, but, as I've said before, Murphy's Law guarantees that they will_

I wouldn't recommend my way to anyone, but now that 'endless longing' (as one thinker wrote) for 'NT' reality is a stable part of me, I'm happy to keep it, keep it in check, and use it (in writing etc.) where I can.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:56 am

I have alsways wanted to be me.