Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 4:25 pm

Just wondering if there are any indians on the forum. Most of the issues Aspies have are universal.

But because of the way indian culture is I feel as an Aspie theres some different issues we have to deal with.
Not more difficult or anything just different.

So wheres all my indians?

Specter
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 4:29 pm

well, I'm not from India, but I am a Native American. :D If Native Alaskan counts to you. I'm part Athabaskan and Tlingit (pronounced "klink-it") and I think that most cultures have different takes on things. Like in traditional Native Alaskan Culture, direct eye contact is considered a threatening action.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:34 pm

I am in in part.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:41 pm

I was assuming he's talking about people from India. I forgot his user name, but another guy from India joined WP a few weeks ago.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MeloJag
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

yeah I am talking about people from India. wats your heritage Inventor?

Aegius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2008, 7:03 pm

Specter wrote:
well, I'm not from India, but I am a Native American. :D If Native Alaskan counts to you. I'm part Athabaskan and Tlingit (pronounced "klink-it") and I think that most cultures have different takes on things. Like in traditional Native Alaskan Culture, direct eye contact is considered a threatening action.

In Korea and other E. Asian societies, eye contact is largely considerred an offense. It's not necessarily threatening, but regarded as rude until you are more familiar with the person.

It really all stems from tradition, but for us Aspies instint plays a role. It's not too well known, but among other primate species engaging in eye contact is meant as a part of mating and intimacy. Perhaps it more of an inborn instinct from millions of year that Aspies are more culturally atuned to?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

I am a Metis Canadian, but your probably talking about south asian, I do love Indian food

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:29 pm

MeloJag wrote:
Just wondering if there are any indians on the forum. Most of the issues Aspies have are universal.

But because of the way indian culture is I feel as an Aspie theres some different issues we have to deal with.
Not more difficult or anything just different.

So wheres all my indians?

im part indo-Caribbean (Indians who moved to the Caribbean in the 18th century)

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:38 pm

India, but in the Shah Jihan line.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2008, 10:05 pm

khan sema is from hyderabad.

well I'm 2nd gen Indian-American
born in Baltimore.
not sure if that counts.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2008, 10:53 pm

I am half Indian. I think AS is more prevalant in the Indian ethnicity. A lot of Indian people seem to have AS traits.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 5:40 am

zen_mistress wrote:
Yes, part. There are a small number of us on the board. India is a fascinating country. And I would like to add, if you have Indian genes, you will still be Indian wherever you live... genes have a way of asserting themselves, lol.

Genetically, I am probably about 10 percent Indian, maybe. My grandfather was Indian/Dutch, he descended from workers who had come from India to Suriname in the nineteenth century.

Genes have a way of asserting themselves... I suppose, but there's a lot of competition among my genes, as I'm also of Chinese, African, and Nordic Caucasian heritage. So there's quite a lot of "we"s I belong to, yet in a way I belong nowhere entirely. :)

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2008, 8:57 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
Yes, part. There are a small number of us on the board. India is a fascinating country. And I would like to add, if you have Indian genes, you will still be Indian wherever you live... genes have a way of asserting themselves, lol.

Genetically, I am probably about 10 percent Indian, maybe. My grandfather was Indian/Dutch, he descended from workers who had come from India to Suriname in the nineteenth century.

Genes have a way of asserting themselves... I suppose, but there's a lot of competition among my genes, as I'm also of Chinese, African, and Nordic Caucasian heritage. So there's quite a lot of "we"s I belong to, yet in a way I belong nowhere entirely. :)

my mums from Guyana and like you im part Indian, but i am also mixed with Amerindian, white-celtic and afro-Caribbean. i look Indian though, people never believe me when i say im not Indian :P

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 12:43 pm

KevinLA wrote:
I am half Indian. I think AS is more prevalant in the Indian ethnicity. A lot of Indian people seem to have AS traits.

lol I don't know about that. the demographics of indians in the US and India or not alike "at all". income/occupation/sub-ethnicity (Gujarati, Tamil ...) etc

forget the fact that pretty much everyone in here is in IT or engineering. at at least a decent %age.
not a good basis for comparison if that's what your using.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Aegis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2008, 12:48 pm

I'm half-Indian. What issues are you talkting about?

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Nov 2008, 4:03 pm

wow a lot of people who are part Indian here.

-HL Mencken