Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 3:54 am

I constantly hear logical fallacies in the arguments of others. I piece together previously said information and quickly give counter examples. I also analyze their belief systems and find inherent contradictions and flaws of reasoning. I can find a loophole in many points that are made during a discussion. I enjoy ripping them to shreds during a discussion.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 3:57 am

YES. I do this all the time. There are so many of them, aren't there? I always have to bite my tongue when people are talking to me, to stop myself from pointing out the myriad contradictions in their speech.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:01 am

animal wrote:
YES. I do this all the time. There are so many of them, aren't there? I always have to bite my tongue when people are talking to me, to stop myself from pointing out the myriad contradictions in their speech.

They not only contradict themselves in their words, but in their behavior as well. NT's are notorious hypocrites.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 4:06 am

I know. People I work with do it all the time. They'll complain about the way their colleagues operate, and then do exactly the same thing themselves.

And because I really only have a one-track mind, I can only notice one thing at a time. So I notice the inconsistencies and contradictions, but miss out on the rest of the situation. :wall:

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:09 am

animal wrote:
I know. People I work with do it all the time. They'll complain about the way their colleagues operate, and then do exactly the same thing themselves.

And because I really only have a one-track mind, I can only notice one thing at a time. So I notice the inconsistencies and contradictions, but miss out on the rest of the situation. :wall:

What would you miss out on?

animal
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2008, 4:12 am

Usually the point that the other person is trying to make. They might start talking about something, and create a fallacy early on in their monologue, so I'll notice that fallacy and have to concentrate on not saying anything about it, but because I'm concentrating on not saying anything, I don't manage to take in the rest of what they were saying.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:16 am

animal wrote:
Usually the point that the other person is trying to make. They might start talking about something, and create a fallacy early on in their monologue, so I'll notice that fallacy and have to concentrate on not saying anything about it, but because I'm concentrating on not saying anything, I don't manage to take in the rest of what they were saying.

I know the gist of what they are saying but the fact that their arguments are full of holes irks me too much to let it go.

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 4:17 am

I wish human beings were logical......

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:23 am

timeisdead wrote:
I constantly hear logical fallacies in the arguments of others. I piece together previously said information and quickly give counter examples. I also analyze their belief systems and find inherent contradictions and flaws of reasoning. I can find a loophole in many points that are made during a discussion.

Ah yes - the curse of the logical mind. I don't think this is exclusive to AS. Anybody with reasonable intelligence will experience this. The worst aspect is the amount of bigotry, intolerance and nastiness that has no rational basis at all. And it's so irritating when people celebrate 'getting one up' on someone else by doing something that would be 'totally out of order' if the other did it to them.

timeisdead wrote:
I enjoy ripping them to shreds during a discussion.

Why? If it's so easy to find flaws in others, isn't that like stealing candy from a child? Do you change these people with the power of your infallable logic or do they just end up disliking you?

You could always try turning your powers of reason onto yourself to see if you are without fault. Have you ever thought about joining a serious philosophical discussion group or similar? That would be a real test of your powers of reason - and then you may experience what it feels like to be 'ripped to shreds' yourself!

MasterBrain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2008, 6:20 am

I have the same thing, and my father keeps saying that i dont make friends whit it, but i cant stop (and i dont think i want to stop whit it)

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2008, 7:05 am

MasterBrain wrote:
I have the same thing, and my father keeps saying that i dont make friends whit it, but i cant stop (and i dont think i want to stop whit it)

I agree. Sometimes it seems to damn fun that i couldn't imagine giving it up. On the other hand i spend so much time alone wishing i could.

I have within the last few months made some improvements i believe. Maybe i don't feel like sh*****g on people quite so much anymore cause i don't feel like im being s**t on quite as much myself. It pays to move 3000km away from everything you've ever known :)

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2008, 8:13 am

timeisdead wrote:
I constantly hear logical fallacies in the arguments of others. I piece together previously said information and quickly give counter examples. I also analyze their belief systems and find inherent contradictions and flaws of reasoning. I can find a loophole in many points that are made during a discussion. I enjoy ripping them to shreds during a discussion.

I can totally relate. You describe exactly what I experience every day.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

jkennedy293
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 9:16 am

I piss a lot of people off constantly because of this. I have learned to keep my mouth shut, so others can live in ignorance. It is so frustrating. Why can't they see the logic?

Mike61290
Raven
Raven

02 Dec 2008, 10:27 am

Just don't ever do it to your teach, in front of the entire class.

You'll get sent to the office for disrespect, improper conduct, disturbing the class setting or something like that and then get punished with 60 days of lunch detention where you have to sit in a small room alone and eat your lunch under the supervision of a teacher. Of course if you are like me the only trouble you are having with this is that you can't go to the computer lab while lunch is going on to get on WP :)

Well I'm not in school anymore but for the first 95 days I had lunch detention..... Then I decided that it wasn't worth my time, slept through my classes and read the chapter when I got home.

Finding multiple contradictions within 2 minutes of talking to someone is extremely annoying, I get distracted counting the number of inconsistencies although I'm able to remember it word for word and can remember multiple contradictions within a conversation. It's kind of like a game seeing how many times they can mess up each time they talk. Arguing is like a sport it's meant to be played competitively but also to be seen as a game in my opinion.

I personally just like breaking things down into simpler versions of themselves and arguments are no exceptions :)

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:47 am

timeisdead wrote:

i'd like to argue with you. often i'll debate a point of view i don't agree with, and i'll make points that are easily refuted just to see how badly i can defend my point and still win the debate. i'll make statements that would completely unravel if the person made one specific argument, so far it hasn't happened. i only do this with topics i know a lot about, and i've gotten bored with it so i don't bother trying anymore, but it was pretty funny how i could convince people of things by using an easily refuted argument.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 10:57 am

I like arguing about stuff, but it's better when the other person actually has at least half a brain cell. Arguing with an idiot is stressful and pointless, because they'll just come out with utter BS that is so stupid that no logic is strong enough.

Idiot: [BS]
Me: [logical reasoning]
Idiot: [more BS that had bugger all to do with what I just said]
Me: Screw this.

However, arguing with an intelligent person can go on for ages and can actually be rewarding.

y es como un semestre"